OOC 2 - More Rambling, Ranting, and Such

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC 2 - More Rambling, Ranting, and Such

#341 Post by Hoondatha »

Okay, I'm taking a look at the Bag of Beans again, in case I want to use it in the battle, and it's a lot vaguer than I remember. As a wild mage I have a 50% chance of making what I want to happen happen, but the item description basically says, "here's a couple of ideas, now go make up more."

So, if I'm trying to select the result I want from the bag, what are my options? Or, more probably, what are my limitations? What sorts of things can the bag create, and what can't it?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by hedgeknight »

From the DMG:
Thought, imagination, and judgment on the part of the DM are required with this item.

This magic item produces a random effect - you plant a bean and you don't know what is gonna pop up. I have a table and will roll for the effect - could be beneficial, could be funny, could be deadly. Kinda like a wand of wonder - you never know what you're gonna get. Figured being a wild mage and all, you'd like it! :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#343 Post by Hoondatha »

Right, but I have a 50% chance of being able to control the item. Would I want to pick something in particular, or just have a 50% chance of guaranteeing a good result?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by hedgeknight »

I would prefer you not pick what the bean grows - I think it would be more exciting to not know exactly what you are getting, but rather you know it is something good (or not harmful to the wielder). Cool?

BTW, this is what I love about how you play your character:
Tarrin watched the two elves depart without so much as a "by your leave." "Shaundakul help me," he muttered, casting a quick glance into the wind. Then he sighed and looked at the rest of the group, including the barbarians, and started speaking quickly and with purpose.
Just so freaking realistic - cracks me up every time you do or say something like this. I can just imagine Tarrin standing there and doing this! :mrgreen: :lol:
Winter is coming...

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#345 Post by AQuebman »

hedgeknight wrote:I would prefer you not pick what the bean grows - I think it would be more exciting to not know exactly what you are getting, but rather you know it is something good (or not harmful to the wielder). Cool?

BTW, this is what I love about how you play your character:
Tarrin watched the two elves depart without so much as a "by your leave." "Shaundakul help me," he muttered, casting a quick glance into the wind. Then he sighed and looked at the rest of the group, including the barbarians, and started speaking quickly and with purpose.
Just so freaking realistic - cracks me up every time you do or say something like this. I can just imagine Tarrin standing there and doing this! :mrgreen: :lol:
Pessimistic and badass that's how I like my mages :D

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#346 Post by Hoondatha »

Sure, that way of handling the beans works for me.

And thanks for the compliment; what with all the barbarians, berserkers (and quasi-berserkers like Oggle), I've definitely been getting an Only Sane Man vibe off of Tarrin.

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#347 Post by rtdersch »

Hoondatha wrote:Sure, that way of handling the beans works for me.

And thanks for the compliment; what with all the barbarians, berserkers (and quasi-berserkers like Oggle), I've definitely been getting an Only Sane Man vibe off of Tarrin.
Hahaha! Sane....what's that? :lol:
Nökrugh - Level 2 Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker) - Hedges Forgotten Realms HP 29/29 AC:3

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#348 Post by rtdersch »

Just got done reading Oggles thread :shock:

I have a feeling things are going to get nasty for my Bahamut loving friend! Nothing Oggles twin blades of fury can't handle of course. Also, I'm glad to see Hedge playing Thurgrum and Darlond though I wish those two pansies wouldn't have given up on us. Man are they missing out on some good adventuring!
Nökrugh - Level 2 Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker) - Hedges Forgotten Realms HP 29/29 AC:3

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#349 Post by rtdersch »

Hedge, I know it's late in the game but would you mind if I swapped Nok's proficiency in battle axes to maces or morning star? He hasn't used an axe yet and I think I'd like for him to have a bludgeoning weapon to compliment his sword skills. BTW: which is the weapon that has a spiked ball on a chain? Is that the morning star or a flail? I want the one with a chain either way. :twisted:

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#350 Post by Hoondatha »

rtdersch wrote:

It's that thing you waved at as you ran by.

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#351 Post by rtdersch »

Hoondatha wrote:
rtdersch wrote:

It's that thing you waved at as you ran by.

HAHAHA!!!

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#352 Post by rtdersch »

Just wanted to throw out a shout-out to Hedge for running TWO outstanding campaigns! I feel like even if Nok meets an unfortunate end that I can, and would want to bring another character in the game because of how fluid he runs his game.

I do hope that at some point Oggle and Nok can team up again in another great Hedge run adventure. Who knows? Perhaps after kicking the carp out of these sissy Malarites we'll cross paths.

Great Job!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by hedgeknight »

Hedge, I know it's late in the game but would you mind if I swapped Nok's proficiency in battle axes to maces or morning star? He hasn't used an axe yet and I think I'd like for him to have a bludgeoning weapon to compliment his sword skills. BTW: which is the weapon that has a spiked ball on a chain? Is that the morning star or a flail? I want the one with a chain either way.
Yeah Ray, no problem. Flail is the spiked ball thingy attached to a chain. ;)

And thanks for the compliments, man. It's been a lot of fun and you guys are getting ready for some big bad wolf action! Let's do it!! :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#354 Post by Hoondatha »

Also sometimes called a "mace and chain," as can be seen in the awesome (despite some very dippy female characters) 1952 Ivanhoe movie.

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#355 Post by rtdersch »

hedgeknight wrote:
Hedge, I know it's late in the game but would you mind if I swapped Nok's proficiency in battle axes to maces or morning star? He hasn't used an axe yet and I think I'd like for him to have a bludgeoning weapon to compliment his sword skills. BTW: which is the weapon that has a spiked ball on a chain? Is that the morning star or a flail? I want the one with a chain either way.

And thanks for the compliments, man. It's been a lot of fun and you guys are getting ready for some big bad wolf action! Let's do it!! :mrgreen:
Flail it is then! Thanks Hedge.

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#356 Post by rtdersch »

hedgeknight wrote:

These flea bitten fur bags aren't going to know what hit them!

Hmm....gotta watch my role playing. I thought I'd made Nokrugh Chaotic Good, but I just double checked and nope! Lawful Neutral.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by hedgeknight »

rtdersch wrote:Hmm....gotta watch my role playing. I thought I'd made Nokrugh Chaotic Good, but I just double checked and nope! Lawful Neutral.
That's an easy fix...change it on your sheet if you want. Just realize there's a big difference between Chaotic Good and Chaotic Stupid! ;) :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#358 Post by rtdersch »

hedgeknight wrote:
rtdersch wrote:Hmm....gotta watch my role playing. I thought I'd made Nokrugh Chaotic Good, but I just double checked and nope! Lawful Neutral.
That's an easy fix...change it on your sheet if you want. Just realize there's a big difference between Chaotic Good and Chaotic Stupid! ;) :mrgreen:
Do I have to choose? Can't I be both Chaotic Good and Stupid? :lol:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by hedgeknight »

Don't see why not!! :D
Winter is coming...

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#360 Post by AQuebman »

rtdersch wrote:Just wanted to throw out a shout-out to Hedge for running TWO outstanding campaigns! I feel like even if Nok meets an unfortunate end that I can, and would want to bring another character in the game because of how fluid he runs his game.

I do hope that at some point Oggle and Nok can team up again in another great Hedge run adventure. Who knows? Perhaps after kicking the carp out of these sissy Malarites we'll cross paths.

Great Job!
Hell yea it's been a blast and don't worry brother we will meet up again at some point. If I have to get Bahamut to bring your happy ass back to the material plane we will make this happen!

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”