Rules of the Realms/House Rules

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Rules of the Realms/House Rules

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

House Rules

Here are just a few things I've come up with through the years - some are my own, and some I stole...borrowed from other DM's. And...these are up for discussion, change, addition, etc. Remember: this is OUR game! Also, this link is killer > http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/

Combat & Healing:

Dice Rolls

You fellers are in charge of your initiative, attack and damage rolls, and saves. Spellcasters roll damage and/or healing, plus duration for spell effects if applicable. I'll roll everything else.

Critical Hits/Misses

> A natural "20" is a Critical Hit and does double damage.
> A natural "1" is a Critical Miss. Roll another attack and if another "1" occurs, roll damage against yourself. Otherwise, you just drop your weapon. A "1" on a ranged weapon like a bow or sling, results in breaking the string or strap.

Healing Nonlethal Damage
: You heal nonlethal damage at the rate of 1 hit point per hour per character level. For example, a 7th level wizard heals 7 points of nonlethal damage each hour until all the nonlethal damage is gone. (Thanks Alethan!)

Hit Points and Level Advancement:

When rolling hit points for level advancement, you make use one of two methods:
1/ Roll the dice (add Con bonus) and get what you get...OR
2/ Take half (plus Con bonus) > for example, Thurgrum advances to 2nd level and instead of rolling the dice, he takes half of d8 (4), adds his Con bonus (+1), giving him 5 hp to add to his total.

Completely and unashamedly ripped the info below from Hoon's game over on RPoL! :mrgreen:

Training and Leveling Up

By and large, I'm not going to be a stickler for training. Partially because you just went to all the trouble to get the XP, and partially because finding a trainer, then spending X number of days training, would slow down a game that, by its pbp nature, is already slow.

To level up, you need an undisturbed night's rest. The next morning you're considered to be your new level, with all the benefits thereof. Roll your new hit points (remember you get half or the die roll, whichever is better), recalculate THAC0, add thief skills, etc. Wizards get one new spell of their choice of any level they can cast, though if it's not from the PHB check with me first (no learning roll required).

The only things that would require training are "exotic" knowledge. This is again a sort of "check with me," dark area but some general guidelines would be:
* Weapon proficiencies from exotic lands (ie: great scimitar) or races (ie: dwarven two handed axe)
* Any sort of firearm
* Specialized NWP from outside the PHB (ie: falconry, crowd working)
* Ancient history and ancient languages (note: can be learned from large libraries)
* Specific wizard spells (this is one option for getting additional wizard spells)

In those situations, the PC would have to track down someone who already had the knowledge and train with them to get it. You can, of course, keep proficiency slots unassigned until such time as you find the trainer.

Players > please do not post in this thread. Post any questions, concerns, gripes, threats, bribes, etc. in the OOC thread.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”