Build a town - Content discussion

Here we discuss the town building project.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Build a town - Content discussion

#1 Post by wolfpack »

So with the polls in we have a better idea of what we are working towards as far as size and general geographic location.

I have made a map using a generator that fits the basic outline of the town.

-----------------------
Map Key
1 - Private residence
2 - Private residence
4 - Meadowbrook & Dewgud - funeral home
5 - Seven Sisters Sell Swords - hirelings
6 - Majesto’s Magical Emporium and Curiosities - shop
7 - Jail/Dungeon
8 - Guard barracks
9 - Private residence
10 - Private residence
12 - The Cellar Dweller - tavern
17 - The Dangerous Traveler - Inn & Tavern
19 - Rukellian’s Hot Cross Buns - the village bakery
21 - Erswin’s Tack and Saddle - horse supplies
26 - Stronghold of the Company of the Mighty Fist
27 - Bloomquist's Forge - smith
28 - The Hidden Wench - inn & resteraunt
32 - Honest Zoe's Horses- horse stables
33 - Monastery of St. Cuthbert - temple

----------------------------------------------------------

Now I think we need to identify what are the 32 named structures?

What are some things that should exist in atown this size and number of specific types of businesses?

Go through what we alreayd have and then determine what is still needed.

As an example

taverns are alwasy prsent in any fantasy setting. How many shoulkd be present in our town?

Personally in a town this size I would say 4, with perhaps two or three of them being inn's as well and one drinking estalishment only.

How many blacksmith shops?

what else is needed?
A business for hiring sellswords? A shop for exaotic herbs and other ingrediants? A general store? How many of each of these?

You get the picture.
Last edited by wolfpack on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Build a town - Content discussion

#2 Post by Rukellian »

In regards to adding to this town project, can a newcomer to the site, like say me, add something to the submissions tab?

I was thinking of adding one of my own characters as an npc to the villiage, with his own backstory tied to the bakery he owns and his ties with the local temple (if there is one). He would even go far as to offer a mini quest, a quest to go after something precious that was stolen from him, tracking it down to a cave of goblins in the nearby forest. The leader of the goblin group could be one of the villiage council members. That in itself could segway into a main plot of a story. Upon completing said quest, the npc would offer his services to the adventuring group as a cleric and bring with him a unique spell that he crafts himself. On top of that, the villiage recognizes the group's efforts and asks them to investigate the former council members plans and why goblins were involved.

If you guys give me the green light on this, I would be more than happy to add this to the submissions and flesh out the npc, bakery, and story connections, dialogue, and even store layout!
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Not really sure if that falls under the scope of the project or now; I'd probably leave that for ToniXX to chime in on.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

Rukellian wrote:In regards to adding to this town project, can a newcomer to the site, like say me, add something to the submissions tab?

I was thinking of adding one of my own characters as an npc to the villiage, with his own backstory tied to the bakery he owns and his ties with the local temple (if there is one). He would even go far as to offer a mini quest, a quest to go after something precious that was stolen from him, tracking it down to a cave of goblins in the nearby forest. The leader of the goblin group could be one of the villiage council members. That in itself could segway into a main plot of a story. Upon completing said quest, the npc would offer his services to the adventuring group as a cleric and bring with him a unique spell that he crafts himself. On top of that, the villiage recognizes the group's efforts and asks them to investigate the former council members plans and why goblins were involved.

If you guys give me the green light on this, I would be more than happy to add this to the submissions and flesh out the npc, bakery, and story connections, dialogue, and even store layout!
I like this idea to a certain extent. The character itself, bakery, ties to the temple all sound great. Any backstory is always good too, and your plot hook of a stolen artifact (one that is not too powerful) that gets a party on a small sidequest is fine. But, the fact that a goblin is on the council is a stretch. And while the layout of the bakery would be nice, I don't consider it necessary. And definitely I wouldn't include dialog. We want to keep this whole thing very open so that any DM can drop it into his/her world with little to no changes.

Also note that if you agree to include anything, you're giving up all creative rights to it besides credits. Otherwise, anyone else here or elsewhere can use it, change it, etc.

So please, with that in mind, submit something. I like the idea and our little town doesn't have a baker as of yet! I'm also glad to see a new member interested in getting involved in this project.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by wolfpack »

here is a list of what we alreayd have written up that can fit in the town.

where should each one be placed among the 31 buildings or does placement even matter to anyone.

Monastery of St. Cuthbert - temple

The Hidden Wench - inn & resteraunt

Bloomquist's Forge - smith

Majesto’s Magical Emporium and Curiosities - shop

Honest Zoe's Horses- horse stables

Meadowbrook & Dewgud - funeral home

Erswin’s Tack and Saddle - horse supplies

Seven Sisters Sell Swords - hirelings

The Cellar Dweller - tavern

The Dangerous Traveler - Inn & Tavern

Rukellian’s Hot Cross Buns - the village bakery

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Distorted Humor »

Put bloomquists at 27 I think, as a forge would want water and not to be next to another building.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by ToniXX »

wolfpack wrote:here is a list of what we alreayd have written up that can fit in the town.
where should each one be placed among the 31 buildings or does placement even matter to anyone.
I've added the number of each building below. Just my opinions (except for DH's idea about putting the forge at 27, which is a good idea)

33 Monastery of St. Cuthbert - temple
28 The Hidden Wench - inn & resteraunt
27 Bloomquist's Forge - smith
6 Majesto’s Magical Emporium and Curiosities - shop
32 Honest Zoe's Horses- horse stables
4 Meadowbrook & Dewgud - funeral home
21 Erswin’s Tack and Saddle - horse supplies
5 Seven Sisters Sell Swords - hirelings
12 The Cellar Dweller - tavern
17 The Dangerous Traveler - Inn & Tavern
19 Rukellian’s Hot Cross Buns - the village bakery

These are just my opinions. I think this map needs a few buildings culled from it... it has about 10 too many.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Distorted Humor »

I say we cull five, and leave a few empty spots for the DM to fill out for his own flavor.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by ToniXX »

Distorted Humor wrote:I say we cull five, and leave a few empty spots for the DM to fill out for his own flavor.
That's a good point. Leaving some for the DM to use is a good idea. Also, a lot of the 'extra' ones can be considered residences: people need a place to live (I totally forgot about that)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by onlyme »

15 would be the best location for any sort of grist mill. And 16 attached could be the grocer or some affiliated bldg? maybe the miller's residence?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by wolfpack »

so you want some buildings removed form the map? of just building left empty with no nunmber in them?

I will keep the 1st post updated with the map key

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by ToniXX »

wolfpack wrote:so you want some buildings removed form the map? of just building left empty with no nunmber in them?

I will keep the 1st post updated with the map key
I say remove five buildings completely, instead of leaving them with no key.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by wolfpack »

OK i removed buildings, however I did not re-number everything as that would be far to tedious. If some else wishes to take the image and re-number everything feel free.

I have also listed all the building number son the key. If someone want sto volunteer for a certain building and wants to dveelop it's contents feel free.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by ToniXX »

I'd say 1, 2, 9 and 10 can be private residences. Maybe that's the 'nice' end of town, since they're a little spread out.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Stonjuz »

Can you imagine the faces of the PLAYERS as their characters see a note on the tavern wall 'looking for dragon slayers and mighty wizards', only to later find the party at Silas' gaming table.... :lol:

Any building will be ok with me....

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by AQuebman »

Considering what era were in I think spreading out of the private residences makes more sense as well. You have to think that many of those private residences would then include a huge plot of farm land. Unless our thought is that all of that side of the community would be outside of the walls.

A few suggestions for buildings or roles/jobs:
Butcher
Woodworker/Bowyer - Alethan should write this one up with his woodworking knowledge :D
Apothecary
Stoneworker
Brewery
Potter
Glassmaker
*Do we have a graveyard to go along with the funeral home?*
Small dungeon/jail - For some reason Andy Griffith's little jail pops in my head every time I think of the law in this place lol.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by onlyme »

AQuebman wrote:Considering what era were in I think spreading out of the private residences makes more sense as well. You have to think that many of those private residences would then include a huge plot of farm land. Unless our thought is that all of that side of the community would be outside of the walls.
I had the similar thought/question. I dont know why the finer residences would be on the edge of town if outside the walls, completely exposed to nature/thieves, etc.

So, if the walls surround it all, then it makes sense, and those bare areas would be internal farmland. But, that creates a very expensive wall/defense to monitor.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by Alethan »

I was picturing something more like the dwellings in the town were for the businesses in the town, with a few farms spread out in two or three directions from the town, along the roads. Or maybe along the river.

That is how it was done in a typical English settlement from the 1200s-1500s.

Doesn't at all seem feasible to have farms within the town walls. Honestly, I was thinking of something small enough that it didn't have town walls. Maybe they're under construction? Maybe it's a fairly new settlement?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by onlyme »

ok, I was going off the poll results, which seemed to indicate the desire of a wall.

That said (and I thought I posted this already but cant find it) I think there needs to be a second exit extending a road from building 10, 26 or 33 to the edge to make this town on a route, rather than an isolated destination. i.e. players meet in X town and pass this one on the way to where they are headed.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

Well... I was thinking of the survey as more of a guideline. :) No walls was just one vote off from walls.

With very minor changes to the the map as drawn, I see four possible roads in/out of town. One by 8/32 exiting west, one by 31 exiting northwest, one by 1/10 exiting southeast, and one by 33 exiting east or northeast.

Return to “Unseen Servant builds a town”