Project discussion

Here we discuss the town building project.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Project discussion

#81 Post by Rukellian »

I think it should be important to make clear the origins of this town/village. Why was it built in the first place? The idea of it springing from an individual's wealth and his need to protect it might be a legitamite idea. That individual would also be a figurehead in the town/village that grew around him, proclaiming himself to be mayor or baron.

Or... the town/village could have been put together and made by a group of normal people with many different trades, establishing some sort of trading site, a waystation for the weary traveling group. The trading site, while drawing in more people for different reasons, would grow into a small settlement. And before anyone really knew it, the settlement had a dot planted on almost every map with its name on it.

But yeah, the town/village could not have just sprung up from out of thin air, it would need some sort of history, even if it is small. (something that DMs could go off of)
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by onlyme »

Rukellian wrote:I think it should be important to make clear the origins of this town/village. Why was it built in the first place? The idea of it springing from an individual's wealth and his need to protect it might be a legitamite idea. That individual would also be a figurehead in the town/village that grew around him, proclaiming himself to be mayor or baron.

Or... the town/village could have been put together and made by a group of normal people with many different trades, establishing some sort of trading site, a waystation for the weary traveling group. The trading site, while drawing in more people for different reasons, would grow into a small settlement. And before anyone really knew it, the settlement had a dot planted on almost every map with its name on it.

But yeah, the town/village could not have just sprung up from out of thin air, it would need some sort of history, even if it is small. (something that DMs could go off of)

My thoughts, and based on the map...

is that it is a crossroads village between 3-4 areas, and the bend in the river made it important... Whether that is a defensive reason to hold the peninsula inside the river bend, or possibly a fording place where the river was safest to cross. A couple traders set up shop to handle the commerce, and it grew organically. They then needed to build rudimentary defenses...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by Alethan »

Rukellian wrote:I think it should be important to make clear the origins of this town/village. Why was it built in the first place?
I think including this information might reduce the Plug-n-Play-ability of the town. The idea is to create the bones of a structure that any GM in any kind of campaign can pick up and place into their game wherever they want. I think we can probably have a good amount of detail for the individual places/locations, but taken as a whole, we should try to only provide very general information about the town itself. Anything more than that and you either a) start making the town less usable to GMs or b) you give the GM more to have to cut out as they try and stick it into their campaign.

Give them a town, filled with the little shops and people one might find in any town. Let the GM figure out WHY the town exists (protecting a strategic location, trade route, reclusive settlement, whatever) and let them drop it into the game with almost no changes needed.

Again, just my opinion. (Not sure why I feel the need to espouse that every time here. Just want to make sure I come off as "this is a discussion point" and not "I think you are wrong and this is how it should be".)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Rukellian »

Alethan wrote:
Rukellian wrote:I think it should be important to make clear the origins of this town/village. Why was it built in the first place?
I think including this information might reduce the Plug-n-Play-ability of the town. The idea is to create the bones of a structure that any GM in any kind of campaign can pick up and place into their game wherever they want. I think we can probably have a good amount of detail for the individual places/locations, but taken as a whole, we should try to only provide very general information about the town itself. Anything more than that and you either a) start making the town less usable to GMs or b) you give the GM more to have to cut out as they try and stick it into their campaign.

Give them a town, filled with the little shops and people one might find in any town. Let the GM figure out WHY the town exists (protecting a strategic location, trade route, reclusive settlement, whatever) and let them drop it into the game with almost no changes needed.

Again, just my opinion. (Not sure why I feel the need to espouse that every time here. Just want to make sure I come off as "this is a discussion point" and not "I think you are wrong and this is how it should be".)
A valid point indeed Alethan, and one that I frequently tend to forget. The town needs to remain flexible for the DM, there is no arguing that. Sometimes I get carried away with details here and there.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#85 Post by Alethan »

Rukellian wrote:
Alethan wrote:

A valid point indeed Alethan, and one that I frequently tend to forget. The town needs to remain flexible for the DM, there is no arguing that. Sometimes I get carried away with details here and there.
Believe me, it's easy to do. Just look at my three write-ups. Sometimes an idea for a plot gets into my head and I have to write it all out. Writing less, not more, is a constant struggle for me!

I like your ideas, by the way. Just have to make sure we stick to the scope of the project.

Cheers!

Al

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#86 Post by AQuebman »

Alethan wrote:My thoughts:

The village might be big enough for the guard post. More likely, though, it would be protected by townsfolk in a militia sort of way.

I don't at all think it is big enough for a guild of any kind. We're talking about a small settlement out in the wilderness that sees occasional traffic from travelers, not a thriving and active city community. That's how I've pictured this first project all along, anyway...

I think the closest thing your going to get is some retired adventurer who settles down here. The description of Hommlet with some of the old adventurers that resided there comes to mind.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by AQuebman »

BTW for the maps you guys drew where those all hand done or were they done in like maptool or some other online product? I only ask because my artistic ability is nill but i've thought about drawing maps in the past, and any online tool that's better than me with a pencil sounds like a good idea.

Also i'm with Alethan i'd like at least a foot note of my having done some work on this project no matter how small. Do we have a name for the town? I only ask because I have been tempted to start trying to write up a little module for DCC just to try my hand at it and i'd love to make this little upstart village the main starting city but i'd like to have a name.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by wolfpack »

no name for the town I have heard, and the maps were made with rpg citymap generator a free download.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by AQuebman »

wolfpack wrote:no name for the town I have heard, and the maps were made with rpg citymap generator a free download.

Does that include what you used to create the individual building maps?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by wolfpack »

do you mean like the taverns and Inn's I posted?

I did those in excel.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#91 Post by Stonjuz »

The floor plan for the funeral parlor is irrelevent to me. Anyone care to create that? The full service facilities must, however, include a table for roleplaying in a seperate room somewhere in the back. :geek:

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#92 Post by ToniXX »

Stonjuz wrote:The floor plan for the funeral parlor is irrelevent to me. Anyone care to create that? The full service facilities must, however, include a table for roleplaying in a seperate room somewhere in the back. :geek:
Hahaha nice!

Unless someone wants to step up, I don't think we need a floor plan for this or any of the entries. I posted one because I made it a couple years ago and hadn't yet used it.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#93 Post by Stonjuz »

I would appreciate a quick read thru and comment on my submission Meadowbrooke & Dewguud, if possible.
Is it as funny to others as it is to me? Do the different plots, descriptions, etc, fall together smoothly?
Missing key elements? That sorta thing.
I will glady do this for others if requested.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#94 Post by Alethan »

I'll be happy to give it a read through in the morning, Stonjuz.

You just want grammar checked? Or you want constructive criticism? (Don't worry, I know how to write proper constructive criticism.)

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#95 Post by Stonjuz »

Alethan wrote:I'll be happy to give it a read through in the morning, Stonjuz.

You just want grammar checked? Or you want constructive criticism? (Don't worry, I know how to write proper constructive criticism.)
Or? You mean I cant have both? 8-)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#96 Post by Alethan »

Stonjuz wrote:
Alethan wrote:I'll be happy to give it a read through in the morning, Stonjuz.

Or? You mean I cant have both? 8-)
Nyah. One or the other, mate. ;)

Oh, alright, I'll do both, then.

(and thanks for the reminder 'cause my memory is for naught these days...)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#97 Post by Alethan »

Here is a list of what has been offered thus far:

1 - religious establishment
3 - inn/restaurant/tavern
1 - blacksmith
1 - magic shop
2 - horse stables
3 - farms
1 - mortuary
1 - library
2 - Fighter Training/sellswords/mercenaries
1 - bakery

I think we're all full up on inns and taverns. Probably too many for the size of town we're talking about, even.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#98 Post by AQuebman »

Alethan wrote:Here is a list of what has been offered thus far:

1 - blacksmith
1 - magic shop
2 - horse stables
3 - farms
1 - mortuary
1 - library
1 - bakery

I think we're all full up on inns and taverns. Probably too many for the size of town we're talking about, even.
Maybe two of them are failing upstarts :D

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#99 Post by Alethan »

AQuebman wrote:

1 - blacksmith
1 - magic shop
2 - horse stables
3 - farms
1 - mortuary
1 - library
1 - bakery

lol. Yeah, what is the statistic again? Only one in 10 restaurants lasts past one year?

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#100 Post by AQuebman »

Alethan wrote:
AQuebman wrote:

1 - blacksmith
1 - magic shop
2 - horse stables
3 - farms
1 - mortuary
1 - library
1 - bakery

lol. Yeah, what is the statistic again? Only one in 10 restaurants lasts past one year?
Yeah something like that. I used to go to school for culinary arts and learned a lot about a field I don't want any part of.
Last edited by AQuebman on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Unseen Servant builds a town”