Project discussion

Here we discuss the town building project.
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Project discussion

#61 Post by Stonjuz »

What's all this talk of growing these ideas into something more?
What can we do?
Do you still need, or want, more info from me?

I suppose I should put up some info on my Inn of the Uneen Servant.
(I cant decide on whether to show it before, or after, my players let a djinn loose in the place.) :twisted:

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#62 Post by ToniXX »

Stonjuz wrote:What's all this talk of growing these ideas into something more?
What can we do?

(I cant decide on whether to show it before, or after, my players let a djinn loose in the place.) :twisted:
Well, I still think we can turn this into something... even if we just clean it up and post it someplace. If you're into adding more, by all means do it. I'd consider (and I hope everyone who has submitted agrees) anything associated with this project to be in the GPL... meaning anyone can use it any place with or without modifications and without giving credits. Obviously we're not writing software, but I feel that the concept of the GPL works here as well.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by wolfpack »

It might help if we came up with alist of what other write ups are still needed.

What does a town need to be complete, what do we already have done, what need we need more of.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:
Stonjuz wrote:What's all this talk of growing these ideas into something more?
What can we do?

Well, I still think we can turn this into something... even if we just clean it up and post it someplace. If you're into adding more, by all means do it. I'd consider (and I hope everyone who has submitted agrees) anything associated with this project to be in the GPL... meaning anyone can use it any place with or without modifications and without giving credits. Obviously we're not writing software, but I feel that the concept of the GPL works here as well.
Hmmm... Obviously, I'd prefer to at least receive credit where it is due...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#65 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Hmmm... Obviously, I'd prefer to at least receive credit where it is due...
I just threw that out there. Whatever everyone else is comfortable with is fine with me, actually.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#66 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:
Alethan wrote:Hmmm... Obviously, I'd prefer to at least receive credit where it is due...
I just threw that out there. Whatever everyone else is comfortable with is fine with me, actually.
No, I understand.

Just voicing my opinion. :)

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by wolfpack »

The project manager in me is going a bit looney.

How can we build somehting if we don't really know whta to build? there is plenty of great creativity here, but it isn't focused. Perhaps we should run some polls and make some decisions.

How big is the place going to be

Hamlet
Village
Small City
medium City
large City

approx number of buildings (mainly determined by size)
hamlet -7-15
Village 20-30
Small city - 40-60
medium 70-100
large 120-150

Terrain
Sea side
River side
plains
forest

walled yes or no
wooden wals
stone walls

i think that would be a good starting point on what needs to be generated, what can be used, ect.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#68 Post by Alethan »

wolfpack wrote:The project manager in me is going a bit looney.

How can we build somehting if we don't really know whta to build? there is plenty of great creativity here, but it isn't focused. Perhaps we should run some polls and make some decisions.

How big is the place going to be

Hamlet
Village
Small City
medium City
large City

approx number of buildings (mainly determined by size)
hamlet -7-15
Village 20-30
Small city - 40-60
medium 70-100
large 120-150

Terrain
Sea side
River side
plains
forest

walled yes or no
wooden wals
stone walls

i think that would be a good starting point on what needs to be generated, what can be used, ect.
When I wrote my three pieces, I had in mind...
- hamlet bordering on village
- forest
- no walls

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by wolfpack »

Would a poll be ok? Would everyone be ok with that?

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#70 Post by ToniXX »

wolfpack wrote:Would a poll be ok? Would everyone be ok with that?
Yes, feel free to start one in a new thread in this section.

I'll post my opinions right now:

I imagined a hamlet on the edge of a forest with a nearby river/stream, no walls.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by wolfpack »

How do you make a poll

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by rredmond »

If you start a new thread/topic the poll options are on the bottom.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by wolfpack »

I dont have the poll option on this forum when i start a new thread. I must not have permission. I see the poll option inmy aroth forum.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#74 Post by Alethan »

I can make the poll for you, wolfpack. Just let me know what poll options you want, and ill create it.

It doesn't look like you can ask but one question and offer any more than 10 lines for the response options.

Al

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#75 Post by Distorted Humor »

Feel free to make my submissions GPL 8-)

BTW, what are some buildings we need, I have a need to use up some creative juices...

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Distorted Humor »

Some ideas for additions

A old crone who just a old crone
A druid grove
a few NPCs that wonder in and out of town

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Rukellian »

Will the village/town have any major influential groups like a Mage's Guild, a Knight's Keep/Chapter, or even an embassy of sorts? Adding any of those could help create a focal point for main story expansion and DM quest wrap-arounds. Some of the sites listed are basic town buildings that you would find in any other town. The people there are really the only ones offering any quest ideas. (or is that the DM's job? creating quest content and story plots in the town?)

So far we've got most of the regional information in, the town structure and some npcs are starting to be added. Not sure where this project is heading towards right now, but I would be willing to help refine some ideas that people have been juggling around.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Rukellian »

If the town/village is big enough, it might need a guard station or something along those lines. Because if the village is going to have wall pallisades, it would only make sense to have a guarded entrance, right?

Also, do villages/towns usually have a townhall or some building of importance that the mayor would reside in? Not sure if that has been added to the town list yet.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#79 Post by ToniXX »

Rukellian wrote:If the town/village is big enough, it might need a guard station or something along those lines. Because if the village is going to have wall pallisades, it would only make sense to have a guarded entrance, right?

Also, do villages/towns usually have a townhall or some building of importance that the mayor would reside in? Not sure if that has been added to the town list yet.
These are good points and questions. I like the idea of a townhall, which would mean a mayor (or a town elder) NPC would be needed.

The idea of a guardhouse is interesting. It seems that this town might have one, but then maybe not. It raises more questions in my mind: in medieval times, why did villages spring up? Usually they came from the people living around a baron's manor house. Thus, the baron in question would feel the need to protect this village with at least a couple guards. Maybe that's going to far (outlining a local baron, etc). So instead the village itself has hired a couple (or a few) guards, or maybe it's a voluntary force???

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by Alethan »

My thoughts:

The village might be big enough for the guard post. More likely, though, it would be protected by townsfolk in a militia sort of way.

I don't at all think it is big enough for a guild of any kind. We're talking about a small settlement out in the wilderness that sees occasional traffic from travelers, not a thriving and active city community. That's how I've pictured this first project all along, anyway...

Return to “Unseen Servant builds a town”