Project discussion

Here we discuss the town building project.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project discussion

#141 Post by ToniXX »

PbPexting
hahahahaha

I say put in the brothel... the more the merrier. A DM can use it or not.

Good entry on the money lender, wolfpack
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#142 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright I'll do my best to come up with something for ya then ToniXX.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by rredmond »

Any time PC's want to waste resources on stuff that happens off-screen (in my games) is okay by me. I strongly believe that it's not the DMs job to kill the players as much as it is to teach them resource management skills - harshly.
(Hit points are resources, right?)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#144 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Any time PC's want to waste resources on stuff that happens off-screen (in my games) is okay by me. I strongly believe that it's not the DMs job to kill the players as much as it is to teach them resource management skills - harshly.
(Hit points are resources, right?)
I suppose I can see that line of reasoning...

DM: ... and there is a brothel, the Scurvy Wench, located in an old building just behind the pawn broker.
Gimlet: Aw, sweet! I go to the brothel, then! Who wants to join me?
DM: Anyone else want to go to the brothel?
Rest of the Party: No!
Gimlet: I guess I get all the ladies to myself, then! Time for some FUN! OK, so... what happens? And I want details!
DM: You enter the brothel, walking past four very burly half-orc guards (armed with scimitars). You have a great time and leave two hours later. Please make two percentage rolls for me.
Gimlet: Wait, wha? That's it?
DM: Yep. Please make two percentage rolls.
Gimlet: Ok... *rolls* I got a 05 and a 32.
DM: *rolls* Ok. *Consults a chart* Walking back towards the inn, you feel a burning sensation in the crotchel region. Apparently you've contracted a debilitating disease. Your strength and constitution will be impaired until you can obtain a cure.
Gimlet: Wow, this sucks!
DM: Yeah, well... Oh, I almost forgot! You also notice... *rolls* Oh. *rolls again* Damn. You also notice your belt is a bit lighter. Looking down, you realize your magical dagger (the dagger for which I've gone to the trouble of searching the internet for 78 minutes to find just the perfect picture, then had to fight 14 rounds of psionic combat with my printer to produce the stunning home-brew play-aid sitting in front of you. Laminated to prevent wear.) is missing. It was apparently nipped during your two hours of unmemorable brothel fun.
Gimlet: That's not fair! I go back to the brothel to get my dagger!
DM: As you climb the steps to go back in, you note the four very burly half-orc guards (armed with scimitars) blocking the way. The biggest one asks if you have a problem. Up close, you can see they all bear scars from their years of working security at shanty town brothels...
Gimlet: Err... No, not now. I guess I'll just head back to the inn. Man, that is one sucky brothel!
DM: *shrugs* You had some sucky rolls. Also, you went to a brothel in a part of town called "Rotten Squats". What did you expect?
Gimlet: Hey, Bore'me, any chance I can get a Cure Disease spell from ya?
Bore'me: Only 4th level, bro. Sorry.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

GreyWolfVT

#145 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well I submitted my "brothel" idea. Map is still in the works I'm not especially good at designing in the physical sense. Now on another note what about the mining company Idea I had mentioned in a different post?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

GreyWolfVT

#146 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm not sure about my submissions but I am trying to get layouts drawn up.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#147 Post by ToniXX »

Don't worry so much about maps. Those that have made maps are fine, but it's not a requirement. I included one with mine because I had it made already, years ago.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

GreyWolfVT

#148 Post by GreyWolfVT »

alright so I'll just not stress on it I did as best to my brainstorming a basic run down of what the building design is.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#149 Post by Dizlexus »

ToniXX wrote:
Dizlexus wrote:Where is this project? There is no bank in this town! Oh my.
A money lender might be appropriate???
that was my implication -- same thing just smaller

I could write it
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

GreyWolfVT

#150 Post by GreyWolfVT »

wolfpack submitted a money lender not that there isn't a point in having more than one. ;)

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: About this project

#151 Post by PyroArrow »

So like the Town becomes a bookshelf, a base for a growing world.
The PbP adventures on the site become the books where crossovers, (creating more books), could happen throughout time & space.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

GreyWolfVT

#152 Post by GreyWolfVT »

well I know some of the approved submissions have been being pulled into some of the games. The GreyHawk game has at least one of them on the list being used in it.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by BackworldTraveller »

This is a town, right? So where does it's food come from...for every exciting shop you need at least 10 workers/peasants hovels! And they needn't be uninteresting as they will double up as servants, field workers, knitters, bird-catchers, plot-starters, sextons, petty healers, tallow chandlers, pig-keepers, gardeners, horse-holders and brewers of stuff for the missing weekly MARKET.

Nearby woods mean the town needs a carpenter, lumber-merchant, cartwright.

There is no Shrine or Chapel: These guys get born, marry and die (particularly the latter when the characters turn up to save them!)

A town is there to serve the locals and merchants. That the adventurers find some stuff here useful is just their luck.

Who runs this town? A Guild of Merchants? A Noble? Where do these rulers meet to deliberate/hand out fines?
Is it defended? A Wall and Gate? Lockup for citizens, adventurers and stray cattle?

Is there a baker, a mill, a bee-keeper (probably outside the walls), a butcher, tanner and glue maker? Other than the treasure from the surrounding monsters, what does the town live on?

GreyWolfVT

#154 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well now I did submit a mining company run by some dwarf brothers. I can't recall if I ever submitted the brewery but that was in the works. But as for your other points they are quite valid BackworldTraveller. I had ideas for a blacksmith as well.

Return to “Unseen Servant builds a town”