Project discussion

Here we discuss the town building project.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Project discussion

#21 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:
Alethan wrote:Also trying to work through a head cold (and the accompanying head cold medicines).
Me too. Luckily I'm on the tail end of it.
Alethan wrote:What has been covered so far and what would you like to see covered, ToniXX?
So far, we have a monastery, an inn/tavern, and a blacksmith, and a pending magic shop. Other suggested ideas: General store, stables w/tack and harness, guilds.

Regarding what I'd like to see: anything :)
Ok, will put on my pondering hat...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by AQuebman »

I think I caught the beginning of the virus that will either enslave the human race or turn us all into zombies. Either way it's not helping me think clearly. Contrary to what Capcom says I still haven't grown into a giant resident evil monster either, I am thoroughly disappointed.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#23 Post by ToniXX »

AQuebman wrote:I think I caught the beginning of the virus that will either enslave the human race or turn us all into zombies. Either way it's not helping me think clearly. Contrary to what Capcom says I still haven't grown into a giant resident evil monster either, I am thoroughly disappointed.
LOL! 'tis the season!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by AQuebman »

Oh wait... is that a tentacle sprouting out that I see? I expect all Unseen Servant dwellers to grab their cardboard broadswords to help slay the monstrosity i've become and save the good fat man that resides inside. :lol: I promise to drop good gear and only kill a handful.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#25 Post by ToniXX »

Good stuff, Dogma.

Keep the posts coming, people! :)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by Distorted Humor »

I was thinking a few mostly mudane folks might be my next submission.

The Drunk horse-seller
A local ranger who comes in and out of town
a local farmer or two.

Might not be anything special, but be filler for the town.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Distorted Humor »

Horse seller is up.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#28 Post by ToniXX »

Good stuff! Keep it up!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by Alethan »

I moved a few comments from the Submissions thread to this thread so there are only just submissions/entries in that thread.

Sorry, my OCD kicking in...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

Finally finished my submissions. Sorry it took so long.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#31 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Finally finished my submissions. Sorry it took so long.
Excellent stuff, Alethan!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

Thanks.

Too much information, though? Unfortunately, I start getting an idea in my head and I have to flesh it out.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#34 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Thanks.

Too much information, though? Unfortunately, I start getting an idea in my head and I have to flesh it out.
Nope. I believe that with these kinds of things, you can never have too much information.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by AQuebman »

Totally agreed, my time is limited but if I get a little free time I would like to build more on my entry. Feel free to add to what I put in there though guys, I know it's kind of bare bones.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by Nuke66 »

I am going to chime into this project more on a conceptual basis then that from the generation a specific establishment.

I have developed the idea of a town essentially build up the side of a sheer cliff. Both the top and the bottom have spread out into the surrounding countryside, but the primary feature is the tower built around the cliff face some eighty feet tall. The primary natural feature is a large waterfall some 200' feet away. However, the river has been harnessed by a Dwarf mason, Gnome tinkerer and Human Mage by using aqueducts to generate substantial power both for commodity movement and a working elevator. The city is a beacon for trade from the highlands to the bottomlands, as the only 'normal' freight roads are hundreds of leagues to the east and west. While there have been foot paths cut into the cliff face over time, the cities infrastructure is the only viable option to move tons of grain and goods.

It has become a great center of trade and mercantilism. The power has been used for the development of strong defenses, heavy duty blacksmith work, milling of grain and wood and smelting of ores. A system of barges up river deliver vast amounts of raw material which the cities craftsmen and artisans turn into quality products that ship to far away lands, both "on top and below".

The city is also is a beacon for tolerance, any race you can imagine lives here in relative peace. Interracial trade thrives as most residents have become rather specialized in their 'native' skill sets.

Government is somewhat Democratic. We won't quite call it 'representation'. There is a representative body consisting of the various merchant guilds, the military, artisans unions, civil servants, temples, class guilds, longshoremen, loggers and miners. They elect a members to act as 'de-facto' Chief Executive. The rest give counsel.

OK, there I said it, lots of typing for me, but I hope I got my thoughts across. I have developed a bit more detail, but not really fleshed out and characters. I envision a group of retired adventurers building it from the ground up. No one will yet run against the Dwarf Cleric that is CEO. A gnome runs the powerplant. An Elf is chief artisan. gotta be a Dwarf blacksmith...etc.

I don't know if this might interest you guys, is it too big of a project?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#37 Post by Alethan »

I like the overall concept, but I think it is something that would be appropriate for a large city rather than a small town.

I do like the idea of retired adventurers living in the vicinity of each other, which is why I built them into my entry.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#38 Post by ToniXX »

I like the idea too, Nuke, but as Alethan said, it's not quite suited for this project. But yeah, I love the idea and the visuals it invokes. It seems that you've really thought it out.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by onlyme »

ToniXX wrote:I like the idea too, Nuke, but as Alethan said, it's not quite suited for this project. But yeah, I love the idea and the visuals it invokes. It seems that you've really thought it out.
Some specific details (barges, etc) listed are more suited for a big city environment. However, having a couple of external hooks regarding the town should work perfectly. The town could have a well known aqueduct coming in from miles away. That gives bad guys something to attack, and innocent adventurers something to protect. There could be a post station for travellers, with a manager who is well connected to neighboring villages and the nearest cities.

Also, I like the idea of building the political aspect. After all, most of the games on here have some backstory regarding factions fighting, and the adventurers getting mixed up, or brought in by the "good" side.

I am not creative enough to flesh them out, but as soon as I saw some buildings going up, I thought of making the "mayor" who runs the town, the sheriff who wants to, and the local main opposition who keeps them in check, somehow. Those would create fear in the townspeople regarding who to trust, how much if any to say about anything, etc.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by AQuebman »

onlyme wrote:
ToniXX wrote:I like the idea too, Nuke, but as Alethan said, it's not quite suited for this project. But yeah, I love the idea and the visuals it invokes. It seems that you've really thought it out.
Some specific details (barges, etc) listed are more suited for a big city environment. However, having a couple of external hooks regarding the town should work perfectly. The town could have a well known aqueduct coming in from miles away. That gives bad guys something to attack, and innocent adventurers something to protect. There could be a post station for travellers, with a manager who is well connected to neighboring villages and the nearest cities.

Also, I like the idea of building the political aspect. After all, most of the games on here have some backstory regarding factions fighting, and the adventurers getting mixed up, or brought in by the "good" side.

I am not creative enough to flesh them out, but as soon as I saw some buildings going up, I thought of making the "mayor" who runs the town, the sheriff who wants to, and the local main opposition who keeps them in check, somehow. Those would create fear in the townspeople regarding who to trust, how much if any to say about anything, etc.
Can we also have a big debate that's currently going on where the governmental body wants to ban certain exotic weaponry and thus causes a rush on the blacksmith for exotic weaponry :lol: ?

In all seriousness I agree with the above really cool concept and I see pieces we can grab for our little hamlet. For the time period being on a waterway makes sense but maybe in a more savage area or just an untamed area so that's why it hasn't grown in size.

Return to “Unseen Servant builds a town”