General Character Creation

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: General Character Creation

#41 Post by Vargr1105 »

You know, I have actually thought of rulings that would make (2nd Ed) Psionics workable and, hopefully, enjoyable.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Bhart »

Vargr1105 wrote:You know, I have actually thought of rulings that would make (2nd Ed) Psionics workable and, hopefully, enjoyable.
In every edition I've never objected to it on a rules basis, though they do leave much to be desired in 1e. My main objection to them is that they are too sci-fi and for me they never felt like they belonged in a sword and sorcery setting. The game already has magic so I never felt it needed another system of supernatural powers.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by AQuebman »

That's fine by me I just wanted to ask so I have an idea of how things will run.

I had to whack using the Metamorphica in place of the generic book for corruption rolls in my DCC game because it made magic feel like a super hero campaign instead of a dark twisted force given out by demons and other beings of power.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by rredmond »

It's the whole "you can make 756 psionic actions before initiative is rolled" bit that gets me... that and too many maths for this social worker.

I love looking at others thoughts on it. Considering how detailed your gauging interest threads are Vargr, I'd be intrigued as to seeing your Psionics system.

Hmmm, psionics might be a good new thread for the House Rules section of our forum. :ugeek:
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by Distorted Humor »

I haven't even started to play her and I am am already looking forward to playing Elsa the Fair, which means she will most likely be the first one out. :lol:

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by Vargr1105 »

rredmond wrote:Vargr, I'd be intrigued as to seeing your Psionics system.

Oh, its not a system. Just a set of unwritten rulings. It basically treats Psionics like a 3rd version of magic with certain benefits and hindrances compared to the usual ones. It does away with Psionic combat and the mathematical nightmare of calculating PSPs. They would nerf Psionics compared to how they work; or as I assume they do, having never used them so I am unsure if die-hard by-the-book Psionic fans would care for them much.

Bhart wrote:In every edition I've never objected to it on a rules basis, though they do leave much to be desired in 1e. My main objection to them is that they are too sci-fi and for me they never felt like they belonged in a sword and sorcery setting. The game already has magic so I never felt it needed another system of supernatural powers.
Keeping in mind that I have never actually used Psionics in seen them in use, my perception is that the "sci-fi" argument against psionics is a bit of a phallacy and comes more from unfortunate titles for psionic powers than anything else. Psionicists don't do anything all that different from mages and clerics. Between them, those two classes can also affect minds, teleport, levitate, alter their or someone else's perception, polymorph, heal, wound, take control of the minds and bodies of enemies, unleash energies, predict the future, do planar travel, etc.

For some curious reason, the author of AD&D Psionics had a fancy for physics and biology and gave decidedly un-medieval names to some powers, like "Biofeedback", "Molecular Agitation", "Time/Space Anchor" and "Radial Navigation". He could have gone with "Blood Mastery", "Ignite", "Anti-Teleport" and "Know Direction" which describe much more accurately what those powers do rules-wise and sound like spells you would find on a wizard's spellbook.

gray mouser
Strider
Strider

#48 Post by gray mouser »

I'll go for Magic Item Parcel Cleric 2a, please.

'Mouser

Halfarion
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Halfarion »

:!:
Last edited by Halfarion on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halfarion
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by Halfarion »

Hope i posted this in the right spot ! :evil:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#51 Post by Alethan »

Incorrect three. Post it under the character thread in the Party 2 thread above this one.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Argennian »

Al, I believe Bill stated that those of us on the waiting list should post our characters here for DM approval. He's on the list as well. Speaking of which, I'm almost done with mine and will post what I got tomorrow night.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by Alethan »

Sorry, didn't know he was on waiting list.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#54 Post by AQuebman »

Before I continue character creation I need to make sure i'm doing this correctly. As I don't have any books the only rules I have are from the link below: Unfortunately it doesn't appear the updates from unearthed arcana are split apart so I want to verify if everything on there is fair game or if only certain selections. I wanted to make a necromancer but after spending a good amount of time putting the character together I realized I may be making an illegal character :lol:

Thanks in advance.

http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by tkrexx »

What plan are we using to equip the waiting list PCs? Money, armor, pack mules, henchlings, etc. Do we just grab-n-go, or is there an assigned gp amount to work with?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by rredmond »

Any mundane items are good to take. Ware encumbrance though.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by rredmond »

AQuebman wrote:Before I continue character creation I need to make sure i'm doing this correctly. As I don't have any books the only rules I have are from the link below: Unfortunately it doesn't appear the updates from unearthed arcana are split apart so I want to verify if everything on there is fair game or if only certain selections. I wanted to make a necromancer but after spending a good amount of time putting the character together I realized I may be making an illegal character :lol:

Thanks in advance.

http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/
Oh thank goodness AQ, Bill is better at the UA book than I. When you said necromancer in the PMs I was confused and figured to let Bill take that answer. But now I realize what you meant. Yeah that purple worm link is 2E. We are firmly in 1E/1.5E territory. If it isn't in the PHB or UA I'm sorry but you cannot play it. IIRC necromancer is not one of those kooky new UA classes.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#58 Post by AQuebman »

Is there a similar link for 1e or 1.5e or is that 2e link the closest out there? I'll get back to you on my character choice once I do a little more research.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by rredmond »

Yeah sorry about that mix up. I think your best bet is to take a peek here:
viewtopic.php?p=12240#p12240

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by tkrexx »

Any mundane items are good to take. Ware encumbrance though.
I forgot about Animal Friendships, might make a difference. Sabretooth Cats, Carnivorous Apes, Lich-eating Wooly Rhinos...

Return to “Tomb of Horrors”