Prologue: On The Ship…

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Prologue: On The Ship…

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Let’s give the players who are ready to shove off something to do. The “ride there” isn’t necessarily part of this adventure, but I figure I can lay out the gist of what is about to happen with a little role playing to set the scene. If your sheet isn't ready yet, don't freak! We won't go anywhere without you. :D
Lets Get This Party Started:

The sea becomes a lonely place after 3 days of looking at nothing but water in every direction. The motley looking crew doesn’t seem to mind all that much, but the many groups of passengers on board are starting to grow restless. After breakfast this morning, the captain spoke of another 2 days minimum before reaching dry land again. That did not sit well with the folks who were already getting rather sick of the oceans motion.

It was initially said that the trip would take only 3 days total, but something is clearly amiss with the good captain and his suspicious actions as of late. Though you are not exactly a sea faring expert, it soon becomes rather obvious that the ship is not taking the most direct approach to its destination. The ship seems to be zig-zagging back and forth a lot, as if those at the wheel were searching for something out here in the middle of nowhere. What is even more strange is that the captain himself is spending a lot of time manning the crow’s nest, a job generally reserved for a lesser crewman. He spends hours at a time up there peering through a long, shiny metallic tube, mumbling something to himself about finding "it". You remember seeing a few other ships on the first 2 days of this voyage, but now that you think about it, you haven't seen another craft on the horizon in a long while now.

The deck is filled of all sorts of folks traveling across the sea. There is a group of gnomes spread out on the forecastle, constantly looking over old papers and maps as they discuss their business privately amongst themselves. They struggle to keep their delicate items out of the spray of salty water that regularly splashes up onto the ship. One of them doesn't really seem to fit in with the group. He keeps looking around the deck suspiciously at any other travelers that appear to be fellow adventurers.

You see a wide variety of humans on board as well, separated into groups according to their social standings. The wealthy merchant types are all comfortably positioned towards the center of the deck to stay out of the sun and spray, but there are plenty of commoners on board as well. Most of them are often seen barfing over the side rails, much to the delight of the gnarly looking sailors who laugh and mock the "lubbers" incessantly.

A rather homely looking female, clearly of half-orc stock, huddles near to the commoners. She seems to also be having trouble keeping meals down as the ships sways this way and that. If you had to guess, she seems like a warrior type, possibly sailing off to fight long forgotten wars in distant lands. She isn’t the only passenger on board dressed in the garb of an adventurer though, as several others nearby also seem to fit the bill. A strong looking dwarf is there, dressed in chain armor and carrying a large, shiny ax. He stares at a half elven priest of Frey that sits on the crate across from him. She just smiles back at him blankly, maybe a little too thrilled about the current boring situation.

Possibly one of the saddest things you see on board is an old man sitting crossed legged on the deck, all by himself near the gnomes. He has long grey hair that is damp from the salty spray and a long beard to match. His long grey robes are equally moist and he holds in his hand a thin pole that must be nearly 10 feet long. He tries to keep the lengthy tool out of the way of the crew as they work, and every once in a while he uses it to pin down one of the gnomes loose pages that flutters away from their circle.

Barely tolerating the long boredom that is sea travel, there is much discussion about the delay in the crafts arrival, most of it steered towards the captain and his strange behavior as of late……
Im guessing that we all know how this works, but feel free to post any questions you may have as we go along! Now, please get out there and meet some new friends! :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Prologue: On The Ship…

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Captain Cornelius:
(sans telescope)
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG (63 KiB) Viewed 1979 times

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by scottjen »

Growing bored of the dwarf's quiet staring, Zefarrel approaches the gnome who just spoke. Sir gnome, I am Zefarrel, a priestess of the Bright God. I couldn't help noticing your group has some rare old maps. I have an interest in such, and if you would be so gracious, I would be most pleased to see them. It may be we are looking for the same thing, and I can help you find it... (more quietly) Captain Cornelius is obviously looking for something special also, but I feel a wrongness in his poor hiding of it. So I have not approached him, although my curiosity is most piqued.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Elitir

Elitir finally seems to have thrown up everything she has in her and looking around she spots the sulking dwarf. Trying to stay steady and not heave on anyone she works her way over to the dwarf when she sees the half-elf depart.

In Dwarven "Hello fellow traveler, I am Elitir. You seem to be managing not to be too sick, would you perhaps know a trick you could share with a fellow traveler?"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Sprig looks the priestess up and down, sizing her up. "I'd love to help you miss. But they ain't my maps - afraid I'm not exactly with those fellers..." he says. "...Wait a minute. Did you assume I were with them just because I'm... are you some kind of Gnomist?" He stares at her levelly, indignation written on his features, then breaks into a smile. "I'm just teasing you. Name is Sprig. You seem like a nice lady. One second..." At this he walks directly over to the other Gnomes and says, in Gnomish, "Hey, guys. I don't mean to be rude or nothin,' but I couldn't help noticin your maps and papers and such and was just wondering what all that was about?" In the midst of the subsequent exchange he'll attempt to snag one of the errant, wind blown papers and pocket it if he can. (Pick Pockets attempt here) If "caught" he'll pretend to just be picking it up from the deck and simply say, "Whoops! Here you are. I think this one got away from you." without so much as looking at the paper.

If he gets away with a paper or not he'll come back and sit next to Zefarrel where they can examine it, his back to the other gnomes, shielding their view. "So, bright god, eh? Um... which one is that?"

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by scottjen »

Zefarrel gives a laugh at the gnome and replies: I serve the great god Frey, Lord of Alfheim and god of sunshine. I could tell you much of him if you have an interest. Did you know his steed, Blodughofi glows with sunlight of such intensity that it destroys the dead that walk?

(Will see what happens with the gnome's attempted map theft before responding to that...)

Lunna
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by Lunna »

Pumfrey, hidden till now in plain sight, eases himself through the motley bunch of crew & passengers.

Admiring the gnome's audacity, Pumfrey asks, "I say old chap, want me to create a diversion?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Finnigan watches the gnome and halfling bumble with the papers and he narrows his eyes as a small smile creeps under his beard. He's been around long enough to know a hit when he sees one. His left hand unconsciously goes to his coin purse on his belt, only to be reminded of how empty it is.

Still sour from having to hop on a ship to get out of town, the smile quickly fades. But there was no way he was getting out through the main city gates with those guards after him... this ship better be worth what it cost him to hire a seat on it.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The old man chuckles at the exchange between the gnome and the half-elf. "Gnomist! I must remember that. The pole, my good gnome, has multiple uses. One can tap the floor to trigger traps, can knock items off high ledges, measure the depth of something, or even poke a sleeping dragon! It's also useful to determine which things I wouldn't touch. Many tales praise the ten foot pole and deem it an almost required item for adventuring."

A thought dawns on him as he looks around. "Do you not have a pole? Or maybe yours is just smaller?" He asks in absolute seriousness.

As another page goes fluttering by, he pins it down before it gets away.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As the passengers get acquainted in their own way, the captain continues to stare out over the horizon with a slightly demented look in his eye. Lately when anyone other than the bosun speaks to him, he just grumbles back at them incoherently.

The homely female half-orc wipes her chin and tries to engage a lone dwarf in some friendly banter about being sick. As could be expected, he in turn completely ignores her questions, instead watching gleefully the current antics of a yonder gnome/halfling duo. His demeanor changes after a bit. He seems lost in thought about something.

Zefarrel the half-elf introduces herself to the loner gnome in the group, speaking openly about her thoughts on the captain. He tells her his name is Sprig, and then razzes her playfully before going to work.

Out of nowhere, a tiny halfling appears and winks at Sprig, sensing his intentions in stride. Together they move-in on the unsuspecting group of treasure hunting gnomes. Sprig is able to procure a single page of old parchment that was stuck to the hem of one gnomes tattered cloak. All thanks to a well timed "accidental" stumble from the halfling stranger. When Sprig presses his luck, they easily pick up on his intentions. Their leader speaks out in a high pitched whine. "Hey! Watch it there bub! We ain't the kinda gnomes you want to be messin with, see?"

Happy to get away with one page and his life, Sprig escapes the gang and heads back to the others, now assembled around the old man with the lengthy pole. Small talk and introductions commence as the gnome reads through the page, courious as to what it will say.

Please see PM ChubbyP

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

Noting a shadow fall over his face, Finnigan glances up and startles in surprise.

"By the gods, woman, but you startled me! What were you saying? Ah, the boat sickness!" He starts slowly nodding his head up and down as if in understanding, but also to the gentle rocking of the boat.

"It's all better with a bit of drink. Here." He pulls a sizable flask out of his pack, takes a sip, and passes the flask over to the large woman. "Don't take much... ye don't need much."

He accepts the flask back and takes another sip as well. "Er... my constitution is higher than yours, obviously. Given height and weight ratios, I mean..." He stows the flask away.

"So what brings you someplace you obviously don't want to be?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Elitir

Handing the flask back and speaking in Dwarvish. "Thank you, I think that helped some. I heard there was work for mercenaries at the next port. Been hard to find work in the previous area, sometimes your actions don't matter so much as your looks if you know what I mean." Elitir sits in the spot the half-elf recently vacated.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by Alethan »

Finnigan laughs, "Har! Yeah, I do know what you mean. Our folk have been looked down on for centuries. No pun intended. Me, I'm just here because the town guards are idiots. They think the only way to leave town is one of their gates."

His chuckle dies away in silence as he watches the captain at the wheel for a while.

"Where do ya suppose we're headed, anyway? I never did check the destination when I boarded. As long as it wasn't that town, I was fine..."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Elitir

"Not sure now. If what I heard was right we should have been there by now but I haven't been in a condition to pay much attention to what has been going on. Something seems off, not sure what but it is definitely time to start paying more attention I think."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Thank you, Pumfrey," says Sprig, "Name's Sprig. Come here and join the lady of the bright god and I. You, too, old man - and, yes, I had meant to bring a ten foot pole, but, well, I found it to be about five feet too long. Now. Take a look here." Without allowing the party of gnomes to see, he gingerly removes the page and smooths it on his lap. "See here, this writing's in gnomish. It says... it says... hmmm..." Sprig is quiet for a moment as he scans the writing. "It looks to be out of a book about a man's life. But not just any man. A wizard. A very, very powerful wizard. Kind of a kook. But anyways, it goes on to describe an island... lost at sea?... well that's what it says, anyways, where said wizard built a castle or tower or house - it's not clear - where he could create some kind of new magic in peace and quiet...." He finishes and looks up at the others. "That's all. Anybody ever heard of this wizard? Friend of yours, old man? If I had my guess, I'd say yonder gnomes is lookin' for this same island."

Suddenly he turns to Zefarrel as something clicks. "Wait. A glowing horse?! ...What for?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The Archivist 'Mac Kellen'

As Sprig mentions the contents of the note, Mac eyes seem to brighten. "A recluse wizard on a lost island. Building a tower? My boy, you've just described a good forty books or so. Five of which I've written myself. Allow me to introduce myself; I am the Archivist. But you may call me Mac."

"Of course, I don't usually write in Gnomish. Not as much of an audience, you see. I don't suppose you've read any of my tales?" He looks around at the group gathered: A gnome, a halfling, and a half-elf. He seems a bit excited. "Perhaps I don't run in your circles. But that's the excitement of an adventure. One never knows what company one finds!"

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by scottjen »

Zefarrel: I had heard the legend of the lost island. And that was good enough reason to put myself in a position to see it. The powerful wizard living there just adds to the excitement. We should join together to find it. Mac, I would love to hear more of these stories you have written.

Silly Sprig, of course the god of sunshine has a horse that glows with the same.

She smiles at all of her new friends.

Lunna
Scout
Scout

#20 Post by Lunna »

"A secret island with a powerful wizard. What could possibly go wrong? Sign me up."

Eyeing the captain, the halfling says, "anyone reckon he knows where we're going?"

"The name's Pumfrey by the way. Pleased to meet you all."

Return to “C3 The Lost Island... (1E Tournament)”