OOC

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

OOC

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I like to try to keep the main game thread as free of clutter as possible. It makes it far easier to look back and find things. So, I would prefer that all non-game and out of character stuff be posted in here. I don't mind a quick question in red once in a while in the game thread, but I would appreciate anything that would require extensive conversation be done here. Thanks!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: OOC

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fair warning....

I do not consider myself any kind of a "writer". In fact, I can barely speak common. My posts will not be perfect and most will have grammatical, spelling, punctuation, or some other kind of error in them. Sorry in advance if that is annoying to you. If you like, call me out on them. You're never too old to learn how to write gooder.

Like most of you, I play in these games on here for fun. (and to stimulate some creative inspiration) I consider it my "awaytime" from the hassles of real life. Therefore, disruptive play is highly frowned upon and will not be tolerated for long. Hopefully, that's all I ever need to say about that. :D

My games are not exactly what I would call flashy. My computer skills are rather limited so, I use hand drawn position markers etc. I do try to post pictures of monsters and locations once in a while to set the mood, but I don't know how to size things well and have never used photochop. A good imagination is definitely helpful in my games, though I try to make up for my lack of flash with good, solid game content.

As far as die rolls go, you will make all of your own characters rolls and link them to your posts. DMs rolls will not be posted. I play from a mobile device the majority of the time and that makes it much harder to organize all my rolls. The storyline will reflect what happens from "behind the screen" so I don't like spending a bunch of extra time sorting and posting all the rolls. In fact, when I'm at home, sometimes I get crazy and actually roll real dice. It's hard to link those rolls. :)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Posting:

I would like everyone to post their characters dialogue in blue, (dialogue button in full editor) and any OOC comments or questions in red. (ooc button) Anything else can be in normal type.

Here are some general rules and guidelines to follow:

If you post an action that requires a roll, please make the roll and post the results with it...especially combat rolls. Having to prompt for die rolls slows the game. I will make a delinquent roll for a PC if necessary.

If you are attempting to parley, I will generally roll a reaction roll using the best Cha modifier of all PC's who engage in the talk.

I will roll all the following rolls: Surprise rolls, Unknown Thieves Ability rolls, Reaction rolls, (others as appropriate)

If you disagree with a ruling, please address it with me via PM and explain why; I can, and do change my mind when presented with polite, reasonable arguments! Don't be rude, don't make a ruckus on the public forums, and don't continue to question my decision when I've been clear that it's final.

I will likely try to make 2 DM posts a week for starters and see how the pace goes after we get rolling. I realize that not everyone can post on here daily. If you fall behind or ask me to NPC your character while you are AFK, this will be my general rules for how I will make PCs act when in NPC status:
1. If they were in melee and at 25% HP or more, they'll continue to melee, or move to engage if current foes are down.
2. If they were in melee and at less than 25% HP, they will attempt to withdraw from melee if feasible, and will not engage further foes in melee, but may use ranged weapons as appropriate.
3. If they were not in melee, they will use ranged weapons if appropriate, hold action otherwise.
4. Because spells and magic items are a limited resource, I will not cause PCs to cast or use limited-use items unless the situation clearly demands on it.

Cardinal Rule: if you don't say you did it, you didn't do it. I will assume some actions...for instance, if you say "I'm going to stab the orc with my sword", I'll assume you drew your sword first. But if you state, "I pick up the dead goblin's crossbow", but you don't mention that you are grabbing his bolt case as well, you will not have any bolts! If you state "Jak picks the lock on the chest", it is too late to mention that you are going to check for traps!

Metagaming: I am not a huge stickler on this; I don't mind 'table talk' and so forth between players, sharing of information, so long as it is reasonable. Likewise, I have no problem with your characters being assumed to know many things that you (the player) know...stuff like that ghouls can paralyze you, or that trolls regenerate unless burned, that werewolves are vulnerable to silver, etc. The one area of metagaming I don't like is when you have a character act on knowledge there is no reasonable way he/she could possibly know. Please don't do this.

I may add to these as necessary.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Combat Initiative:

I usually use a d10 roll to determine the individual initiative order each round and adjust them accordingly. However, in certain situations I will use a smaller die to simulate close combat in small areas, fighting multiple opponents, etc. If you want to roll your own initiative that is fine with me. Just include a d10 roll with your attack rolls and I will adjust it as necessary.

Please post your attack rolls and damage rolls along with you actions during combat.

Sample macro:
Attack with Longsword [1d20+1] Damage [1d8+1]

When I post the rounds actions, I usually try to stick to the initiative order as it happens. However, sometimes it is easier to adjust the order in which things are occurring so it makes more sense while reading it. I'm only telling you this to prevent any possible confusion in the future.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

House Rules

The most important house rule will be the d6 ability checks. Instead of rolling a d20 for atribute checks, I will put a difficulty level on the action you choose to attempt and success will be determined by rolling your attribute (STR, DEX, INT ect.) or lower on that number of d6's as follows:

Easy 2d6
Normal 3d6
Hard 4d6
Very Hard 5d6
Nearly Impossible 6d6

(example....your fighter wants to climb up a giant crabs leg and crawl across his back in order to chop at his eyestalks in order to blind it. I would then decide how difficult the action is, in this case I would say it is Very Hard. So, the fighter would need to roll a DEX check at 5d6, getting his DEX or lower to succeed in climbing the leg. In order to hang on to the live crab he may also need to make a STR check in the same fashion and so on.)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Natural 20's and Natural 1's (crits and shits)

A natural rolled 20 will be treated as double the rolled damage. (not double on any bonus) There is a slight chance of some random extra stuff happening as well.

Rolls of 1 will always be a miss. There is a random, yet very small chance of something unfortunate also happening as a result.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Movement in Combat:

If you can get to your target in half of your movement rate or less, you can still make one attack. If the distance to the enemy is more than one half of your rate, you can only move during the round and will not be able to make an attack. If you have an attack that allows multiple shots, (bows, daggers, darts, etc.) any necessary movement will negate the ability to get the second (or third) shot off.

You can move up to 10 feet and still cast a spell. Any movement of over ten feet will not allow you enough time to get the spell off in the same round.

Switching weapons mid round will only be allowed if the first weapon is dropped and not stored or sheathed. Fleeing a battle after switching in this fashion will likely result in the loss of the dropped weapon.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will start this game out as a 2 post per week minimum, with a weekly DM post (around mid week?) and then likely another on the weekend. However, I am on here a lot, so once all players have posted, I will likely push the action along. So, once I learn if everyone can handle the rate, this may run a little faster than I originally thought.

When posting.....

I usually call for Actions after each of my DM posts. If I ask it as a question, (Actions?) that normally means you have time to converse and strategize, allowing you to post dialog as much as you like in between my posts.

However, If I ask it as a command, (Actions!) that indicates a time sensitive situation (combat etc.). I usually only allow ONE post per player during a combat round, to simulate the inability to communicate easily during battle.

When there are multiple posts to read, I find that it works best to read the main game thread posts first. Then go over to check anything in the OOC thread before making your post. That should cause the least amount of confusion between us.

If you have any questions about any of this stuff, don't be afraid to ask. :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Please post any OOC stuff here in this thread! :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:lol:

Sure!

I think my wife is a notary. :P

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by scottjen »

OGRE MAGE: Can you describe the appearance of the captain in the Prologue thread?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

scottjen wrote:OGRE MAGE: Can you describe the appearance of the captain in the Prologue thread?
I can do one better.
viewtopic.php?f=552&t=7245#p351277

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by scottjen »

That works!

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by scottjen »

OGRE MAGE, do we need another player to replace the one that dropped out? If so, I think I have someone interested.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hold that thought, please!

I want to see how the party shakes out first. We might be able to roll with 7.

Is it anyone I know? :D

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by scottjen »

No, you don't. My oldest son is who I'm thinking of. He's been a player in my in-person campaign for years, but he's not yet a member of this site.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gotcha!

Ok, thanks. I will let you know if we need him. :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote:"Thank you, Pumfrey," says Sprig,
Hey! He never mentioned his name!

What, are you guys wearing name tags or something? :lol:

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote:
ChubbyPixie wrote:"Thank you, Pumfrey," says Sprig,
Hey! He never mentioned his name!

What, are you guys wearing name tags or something? :lol:
Whoopsies... I thought he introduced himself... :oops: :)

Return to “C3 The Lost Island... (1E Tournament)”