OOC I: The Sunless Citadel

DM: Dave
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: OOC I

#41 Post by GreyWolfVT »

it was on that website DnD Beyond I did standard build option. There were a list of options to select along the process such as what was the stat method I selected point buy. However I wasn't sure for some things such as a howbrew option (Homebrew Content Allow custom content to be used for this character) I left that on, (Playtest Content Allow Playtest content to be used for this character) i left that off. Advancement I set to XP, I left use encumbrance on, HP type i left that as fixed rather than manual. I also wasn't sure about the use unarmed strike or not it was on by default so i left it that way. All of this was the first page in the standard process that haunted one was one of the drop down options rather than coming up with a custom background. Pretty much this site made it so i didn't need a book to setup a character I loved it! :D Gives details and descriptions for things along the process except for on some of the inventory/proficiencies stuff.

The second page or step gives a drop down of what source books to use for race selection listing 3 PHB, Basic Rules & Elemental Evil Player's companion I went with the All Sources option. I did cycle through the options to see what the races listed would show as. PHB listed deep gnome and rock gnome nothing listed forest gnome at all which i found strange... But it was similar for other races that are supposed to be in the PHB. Aasimar race was listed under PHB selection as well on the DnD Beyond site.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Monsieur Rose »

How are we dealing with gold/starting equipment? Roll for gold, or be given equipment per class/background?

GreyWolfVT

#43 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Monsieur Rose wrote:How are we dealing with gold/starting equipment? Roll for gold, or be given equipment per class/background?
that was another thing the dnd beyond standard character sheet build handled looks like it gave either a choice of equipment or gold and somehow i managed to goof it up and get both :lol:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:How are we dealing with gold/starting equipment? Roll for gold, or be given equipment per class/background?
This.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:it was on that website DnD Beyond I did standard build option.
I didn't really play around with that Character Builder tool too much, but some of those questions confuse even me! Lol

I think the "problem" stems from this part, though:
GreyWolfVT wrote:The second page or step gives a drop down of what source books to use for race selection listing 3 PHB, Basic Rules & Elemental Evil Player's companion I went with the All Sources option.
I have no clue what the 'Haunted One' background provides, or where it comes from. Without that,
I might not be able to allow it.

Here are the list of backgrounds in the PHB (Xanthar's uses the same, I think):
  • Acolyte
  • Charlatan
  • Criminal (Variant: Spy)
  • Entertainer (Variant: Gladiator)
  • Folk Hero
  • Guild Artisan (Variant: Guild Merchant)
  • Hermit
  • Noble (Variant: Knight)
  • Outlander
  • Sage
  • Sailor (Variant: Pirate)
  • Soldier
  • Urchin

The 'Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide' offers the following backgrounds:
  • City Watch
  • Clan Crafter
  • Cloistered Scholar
  • Courtier
  • Faction Agent
  • Far Traveler
  • Inheritor
  • Knight of the Order
  • Mercenary Veteran
  • Urban Bounty Hunter
  • Uthgardt Tribe Member
  • Waterdhavian Noble

Do you mind switching to one of those? I'll be happy to provide you the details about any of them that you're interested in.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I'm pretty sure the Haunted One comes from the adventure Curse of Strahd.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/backgrounds

It's described on the list.

GreyWolfVT

#47 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Most of the ones you listed Dave don't come up in the list unless I pay for a subscription rather than keep on using my free account. Same thing for other races and subraces they limit what a free user can have access to. Unfortunately none of those interested me other than what I had selected.
backgrounds dnd beyond char builder.jpg
backgrounds dnd beyond char builder.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
This is the description it listed for the Haunted One: You are haunted by something so terrible that you dare not speak of it. You’ve tried to bury it and run away from it, to no avail. Whatever this thing is that haunts you can’t be slain with a sword or banished with a spell. It might come to you as a shadow on the wall, a bloodcurdling nightmare, a memory that refuses to die, or a demonic whisper in the dark. The burden has taken its toll, isolating you from most people and making you question your sanity. You must find a way to overcome it before it destroys you.

also it appears Dave if you start a campaign on dnd beyond we can link our characters to that campaign so that might allow you to see more details than the exported pdf shows.

I removed my sheet I'll just create again using PHB only since all sources used all three books I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: Even using only PHB it gives me the same background choices and Haunted One is still listed.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by dmw71 »

Okay, I broke down and added a D&D Beyond Master Tier subscription for one month, and purchased another copy of the Player's Handbook (plus the Tabaxi individually instead of the whole Volo's Guide to Monsters). I also created a campaign (please join it here) and enabled content sharing so everyone should have access to it.

It's actually pretty cool! (Which is dangerous, because I'm positive I'll be adding more stuff later if this works out.)
Player's Handbook.jpg
Player's Handbook.jpg (180.35 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

So, everyone should be able to access the PHB content (even with a free account) so let's use the 'Character Builder' to build your characters:
Character Builder.jpg
Character Builder.jpg (143.51 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
I will probably still come up with a text template that I'll have you guys complete that we'll host here (while the actual character sheet will be hosted on the D&D Beyond website).

I still don't know how to use the 'Character Builder' yet, so I'll try to work through the process today and figure out what options to select. Once I get it figured out, I can create a simple tutorial to walk-through the process so everyone is on the same page (since it seems little confusing).

Gotta run for now, but I'll update again later once I've had a chance to look into the 'Character Builder' a bit more. In the meantime, Ed, feel free to poke around the PHB (Note: There's a goofy white "index" screen that shows up for me every time I try to access it -- I just click on any of the whitespace and it goes away, bringing me to the actual content.).

Let me know if you have any problems or questions.[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#49 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Added Rebuild of Kelben gave him a last time this time too. ;) If he's a no go let me know I made a Dragonborn Barbarian as a backup. :D

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede, I was able to download the PDF of your character sheet, and I will review it (and yours too, Ed) soon. If you're able to re-build him in the Character Builder, I'd appreciate it (I assume that's your plan, and why you deleted your post). :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by Shaede »

NVM... i missed the link

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote: NOTE: you can't link the D&D Beyond address because I think its only accessible to the account that made it.
I am able to directly jump to the individual character sheets using the D&D Beyond links; probably because I'm the DM in the campaign they're hosted in?

So, feel free to share the link to your D&D Beyond character sheet -- the other players apparently cannot access it (which is fine), but I still can.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Mister-Kent »

Hi all! Glad to be here - I'll log into my Beyond account and get started reading the threads here.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:NVM... i missed the link
Sorry, that did get kind of buried.

For future reference, the link to the D&D Beyond campaign has been added to the top of my 'Table of Contents' page, but I'll save you a step now: Dave's 5e Game.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#55 Post by dmw71 »

Mister-Kent wrote:Hi all! Glad to be here - I'll log into my Beyond account and get started reading the threads here.
Welcome, Mister-Kent! I'm afraid my game will pale in comparison to yours (yes, I've been lurking), but it's good to have you round out the party.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#56 Post by GreyWolfVT »

dmw71 wrote:Shaede, I was able to download the PDF of your character sheet, and I will review it (and yours too, Ed) soon. If you're able to re-build him in the Character Builder, I'd appreciate it (I assume that's your plan, and why you deleted your post). :)
The one you see in your campaign on DnD Beyond is the rebuilt one with a different background choice. Since you weren't sure about Haunted One background. ;)
Mister-Kent wrote:Hi all! Glad to be here - I'll log into my Beyond account and get started reading the threads here.
Glad to have you here Ron Swanson err i mean Mr. Kent. ;)
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#57 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:The one you see in your campaign on DnD Beyond is the rebuilt one with a different background choice. Since you weren't sure about Haunted One background.
I noticed that, thanks. I suppose, since the details about the background are currently on D&D Beyond I could have just rolled with it, but thanks for making things a bit easier.

Any issue accessing the PHB material?
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#58 Post by GreyWolfVT »

dmw71 wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:The one you see in your campaign on DnD Beyond is the rebuilt one with a different background choice. Since you weren't sure about Haunted One background.
I noticed that, thanks. I suppose, since the details about the background are currently on D&D Beyond I could have just rolled with it, but thanks for making things a bit easier.

Any issue accessing the PHB material?
Nope no issues accessing that Dave. I also have to admit I'm a tiny bit addicted to this character builder lol Now I have 3 characters made 1 for this 2 just for the heck of it. :D

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I also have to admit I'm a tiny bit addicted to this character builder lol Now I have 3 characters made 1 for this 2 just for the heck of it. :D
:lol:

And, to think, it took me about four hours to create my first two characters. Lol
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Monsieur Rose »

So I feel I should warn people that I'm leaning bard. :lol:

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”