OOC I: The Sunless Citadel

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#21 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I was just going to throw things into the US roller char sheet myself and anything that didn't have a place I'd make a spot for under notes.
You're going to need a LOT of notes. :lol:

Definitely feel free to do that for now, but I'll eventually like to have all character sheets built in roughly the same way, so I'll know where to track down information (since I put it there). Though, if you can get the die roller character sheet to work (would you believe, I don't think I have ever created a character using it?), maybe we can all go that route? I'm not too optimistic about your chances, though. ;)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Shaede »

dmw71 wrote:I'll probably take a look at that Google sheet, thanks. Do you like it so far?

That said, I will probably build a simple text character sheet, with all the information listed in the order I I'd like to see it appear. I will probably need to actually work through the steps to create a new character myself, and use that experience to build it. Hopefully I can get that done tonight.
Honestly, I use D&D Beyond to build everything (its free for up to 6 characters) and then transfer everything to the Google Sheet. I can do that with the linked sheet or anything else you provide. Totally up to you

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Every game I've been in on here pretty much uses the US char sheet and I've had many many characters in them work fine granted most games I've been in are 1e 2e or a retro clone of some form of old school D&D edition/version. My only hesitation in using stuff from google docs is in toolychris's game he uses them and the page they are on loads ridiculously slow on here. Takes forever for me to look at my own character sheet on there. Unless we use some sort of editable pdf or something it'll be a mild annoyance to update sheets then have to re upload them. depending upon how we go that is.

Naturally the US Roller was working most of the day for me now it wont load go figure... :roll:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Honestly, I use D&D Beyond to build everything (its free for up to 6 characters)...
I didn't even realize there was a character builder on D&D Beyond. That's interesting.

I wish there was a share option. Are you guys able to see this: Grunt.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by Shaede »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Unless we use some sort of editable pdf or something it'll be a mild annoyance to update sheets then have to re upload them. depending upon how we go that is.
D&D Beyond allows you to export editable PDFs which can then be entered into a shared folder on someone google drive. Thats one solution, if necessary

GreyWolfVT

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

That is a nice site I've checked them out before. Also i just stumbled onto this site that has fillable, editable 5e char sheets
http://dnd5echaractersheet.com/
Shaede wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote: Unless we use some sort of editable pdf or something it'll be a mild annoyance to update sheets then have to re upload them. depending upon how we go that is.
D&D Beyond allows you to export editable PDFs which can then be entered into a shared folder on someone google drive. Thats one solution, if necessary
not a bad deal if it loads better than what tooly is using I think he went with google's version of excel which on US site loads like molasses.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Shaede »

dmw71 wrote:
Shaede wrote:Honestly, I use D&D Beyond to build everything (its free for up to 6 characters)...
I didn't even realize there was a character builder on D&D Beyond. That's interesting.

I wish there was a share option. Are you guys able to see this: Grunt.
I dont think you can share in that manner. Here is a sample WIP exported PDF.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Every game I've been in on here pretty much uses the US char sheet and I've had many many characters in them work fine granted most games I've been in are 1e 2e or a retro clone of some form of old school D&D edition/version.
It works great for those systems as they're what the sheet was built for.
GreyWolfVT wrote:My only hesitation in using stuff from google docs is in toolychris's game he uses them and the page they are on loads ridiculously slow on here. Takes forever for me to look at my own character sheet on there. Unless we use some sort of editable pdf or something it'll be a mild annoyance to update sheets then have to re upload them. depending upon how we go that is.
I've embed Google Sheets on here before to track experience points and, while I never had an issue with it, my players sometimes did. I'm kind of learning against using an embedded Google Sheet for that reason -- reliability.
GreyWolfVT wrote:Naturally the US Roller was working most of the day for me now it wont load go figure...
That's always kind of been my issue with the die roller sheet. It's hosted on a different site (.com vs .us) and one can be up while the other is down, or vice versa. I've DM'd quite a few games here, and my players will frequently use the die roller sheets, and it's frustrating when I'm applying the finishing touches to an update and I can't get a character sheet to load.

I think I'm all but convinced that I'll create a text character sheet template for you guys to use. It'll be a pain, but they've always been my preference. It'll be nice to be able to sort the data however I think they'll be most useful.You guys are ninja'ing my post with other options.

I still don't like the idea of using an embedded Google Sheet, but I'm open to another option.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:I dont think you can share in that manner. Here is a sample WIP exported PDF.
I was hoping it would be that easy.

I see what you're talking about. Export the sheet built in D&D Beyond into a cloud drive (One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc...) and share that file.

That might be a possibility as well.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#30 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Lets go that route then. ;)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by dmw71 »

I did not have a chance to come up with a character sheet template last night (I caught up on some much needed sleep, instead)... but, we do have a fourth player.

Scott308 will be joining us afterall. :)

As for the character sheets, here's what I'm thinking: Instead of creating a full character sheet template, I will create a much shorter form that contains just the most vital or frequently used information. You guys can go ahead and use the official D&D Character Builder (or use an editable PDF character sheet) and export/save those as PDF files... which you can just add as an attachment to the post which will serve as your character sheet.

Speaking of which, everyone can/should reply to the 'Character Sheets' thread. That's where we'll house your sheets, and where you can add your full PDF character sheets as an attachment. Then, once I've decided what information I want to collect and create the basic template, you can add this template information above your attachment.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I saw that you have place where you are making up some test characters. Here

Would you mind if I toss a few up there? I've found making some characters helps solidify mechanics for me.

As for a character for this game, I saw that Tabaxi race on the 5e pulp game here and was interested. I don't think ybn ever played it, but I love the RP and flavor possibilities. It's a Volo guide race.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:I saw that you have place where you are making up some test characters. Here

Would you mind if I toss a few up there? I've found making some characters helps solidify mechanics for me.
Hey, feel free! I added you to that game as well so you'll be able to post in it. (If anyone else wants to be added as well, just let me know.)

I did actually make the first character, but it's on a printed off character sheet. I stopped at the point where I'd need to transfer the PDF character sheet into a text character sheet -- that's something I still will want to do at some point... I think?

I ended up really liking the build I came up with, and think he might make a really cool NPC, so I might not post him publicly, but maybe.
Monsieur Rose wrote:As for a character for this game, I saw that Tabaxi race on the 5e pulp game here and was interested. I don't think ybn ever played it, but I love the RP and flavor possibilities. It's a Volo guide race.
I just took a quick look at the Tabaxi, and, sure, I'll be fine with you running one.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:Or potentially fifth, if we go the 'Sunless Citadel' route, per their recommendation: "It is designed for a party of four or five 1st-level player characters"
Not sure where I got the above from, but this is from the 5e Sunless Citadel: "The adventure is designed for four 1st-level player characters." Bottom line: We're good.

I know you guys are still working on your characters, which is great. I will probably need a few solid days to finish reading the adventure and making my notes.

Starting later this week is a possibility, assuming I can get my prep work done, and you guys are ready with your characters.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#35 Post by Scott308 »

I'm going to wait and see what everyone else comes up with for a character before I make mine. That way I can fill whatever gap is left, and I should be able to crank out a character fairly quickly.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#36 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I've settled on a class but was waiting to hear back on some of the race questions Dave and I had going in PM. Otherwise I'm most likely playing as a Rock Gnome Thief (Rogue)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#37 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I've settled on a class but was waiting to hear back on some of the race questions Dave and I had going in PM. Otherwise I'm most likely playing as a Rock Gnome Thief (Rogue)
I have a lot of PMs, so any questions I might have been responsible for answering are buried somewhere.

Can you share any outstanding questions you're waiting on in here?
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#38 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Namely you were not sure if you would allow Gray Dwarf but the site we used for character sheets doesn't have them so i just went rock gnome. Oddly even using all options Forest Gnome was not even a listed race.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:...so i just went rock gnome.
Are you cool with this, or do you want me to consider other races for you? If I'm going to allow a Tabaxi, I'm pretty sure I'll allow almost anything. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by dmw71 »

I just noticed you posted a character sheet. I'll need to review it later (but how funny is it that the player without any of the books is the first to get their character finished?).

Where did you find the 'Haunted One' background? I can't seem to find it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”