OOC I: The Sunless Citadel

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

OOC I: The Sunless Citadel

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede, GreyWolfVT, and Monsieur Rose have officially been added to the game. Welcome!

I don't know who voted which way in the poll added to my recruitment post, but the 'Lost Mine of Phandelver' is currently leading. Now that the game has officially been created, let me ask you guys this:

Do any of you object to playing it?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: OOC I

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I voted for the lost mine so I am not in anyway against running it. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I'm good with whatever. It's all new to me.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede, I know you listed it third (last) in your order of preference, but are you still willing to play 'Lost Mines of Phandelver'? After skimming through its background and summary last night, it's truly a "starter" module and will be pretty easy to get started right away.

I will need to look into 'Sunless Citadel' to see how much work it will require, but I'm willing to do it if you have a strong preference in that direction (since GreyWolfVT and Monsieur Rose seen content to run in anything).
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Oh, and we also need a fourth player.

Or potentially fifth, if we go the 'Sunless Citadel' route, per their recommendation: "It is designed for a party of four or five 1st-level player characters"
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hmm was Scott308 not interested in playing with us or was he mostly dropping information in the recruitment thread to you Dave?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Hmm was Scott308 not interested in playing with us or was he mostly dropping information in the recruitment thread to you Dave?
More that later, I think.

I do know that he's run or participated in everything I had listed... but he expressed an interest in my plans for 5th-level, after we complete this current one... but those may have changed. I'm thinking he's out with either option we're considering ('Lost Mines' or 'Sunless Citadel') so we're going to need to wait for at least one more player to join us.

Unless someone really wants to learn on the go and control two characters. It's not ideal (especially for you, Ed, without the books), but it may be our only option if no one else wants to join.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Yeah I'll just stick with the one character. Not going to roll with 2 just yet. ;) I'll look into getting at least the PHB.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I'll look into getting at least the PHB.
Definitely wait to see if you like the game first.

I can definitely work with you to get your character up and running, and you probably won't need the PHB too often once the game actually starts (I know I only really need to refer to it to see what a special feature my character has does, but I'll get you those details when you create your character so you can have them all on your sheet and won't need the book).

I'm really interested to see what you think of 5e. I know I was pretty hesitant at first, but I really (really!) like it now.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Shaede »

I picked it as 3rd, as I just started this module on another PbP game and would hate to spoil it. I dont have a strong objection to it, but just a preference, really.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:I just started this module on another PbP game and would hate to spoil it.
I'd hate to spoil it, too.

Why don't we agree to tackle the 'Sunless Citadel' and 'Forge of Fury' after that? I don't have my copy of 'Yawning Portal' with me at work, but I actually just purchased the original 'Sunless Citadel' written for 3e in PDF ($4.99 isn't a bad price) so I can print it off and start to read it over lunch... which I'm about to leave for. :)

I'll look into what it will take to soften the module since it looks like we're going to be a player or two short.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sounds good to me I'm fairly open minded at least on what to run for modules/adventures not going to hold things up on that end.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Monsieur Rose »

A couple of character questions.
Are you using feats and/or multiclassing?
You previously mentioned Volo's guide. Are the races from there allowed?

Sunless Citadel it is.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Are you using feats and/or multiclassing?
I'm really hesitant to allow feats because I'm already nervous about how much more powerful 5e characters are... but let's go for it. Sure, both are in. I want to say there's a variant human rule that allows them to get a feat, and they can also be taken instead of an ability score increase at those levels.
Monsieur Rose wrote:You previously mentioned Volo's guide. Are the races from there allowed?
I'm still working on my house rules, but I added one last night:Player's Handbook +1.

For this game, I'm going to limit the "extra" books to draw from to:
  • Xanathar's Guide to Everything
    Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

I do own Volo's Guide, so I might be willing to consider adding it as a third source... but probably not if the races in it are monster-as-PC types. Sorry! :(
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Shaede »

Thanks a lot! I'm going to get started on my character, now. I'm keeping him a simple Elf Ranger.

You mentioned rolling for a random trinket to be incorporated into our backstory. Do you have a list that we will use?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Thanks a lot! I'm going to get started on my character, now. I'm keeping him a simple Elf Ranger.
Nice. You guys can feel free to start talking party composition if you'd like (though, I argue it's not necessary, as all classes seem to be pretty useful).
Shaede wrote:You mentioned rolling for a random trinket to be incorporated into our backstory. Do you have a list that we will use?
Man, it's going to be hard to not have my book with me. (Still not diving into D&D Beyond, though.)

I've been pretty successful searching for specific things on Google, though. This link says the list of trinkets is on page 159 of the PHB. I'm guessing/hoping that's right. If not, they are in the PHB somewhere (I think after the backgrounds). :)

Or, feel free to roll on the "Normal" list from the above link. Really, it's just a little something to add a bit of flavor to your character and not anything super important.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

As for your characters, please feel free to begin creating them if you'd like to get a jump on things.

I'm not convinced the character sheet that comes with the die roller will work for 5e, so one of the items on my to-do list is to create a character sheet template for you guys to use. You can build them using whatever character sheet you'd like for now, but eventually I'll request that you transfer that information in the template I provide.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Shaede »

Perfect. That's the same list as PHB. Looks like I got a "A bronze pentacle with an etching of a rat's head in its center"

One quick note - on the campaign I am in with Kent, we noticed the US character sheet isn't set up well for 5e. We are using this google docs sheet instead (Sample Sheet). Do you have any preference?
dmw71 wrote:As for your characters, please feel free to begin creating them if you'd like to get a jump on things.

I'm not convinced the character sheet that comes with the die roller will work for 5e, so one of the items on my to-do list is to create a character sheet template for you guys to use. You can build them using whatever character sheet you'd like for now, but eventually I'll request that you transfer that information in the template I provide.
Ha! We had same the same thought!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Looks like I got a "A bronze pentacle with an etching of a rat's head in its center"
Good luck with that. :lol:
Shaede wrote:...we noticed the US character sheet isn't set up well for 5e. We are using this google docs sheet instead (Sample Sheet). Do you have any preference?
I'll probably take a look at that Google sheet, thanks. Do you like it so far?

That said, I will probably build a simple text character sheet, with all the information listed in the order I I'd like to see it appear. I will probably need to actually work through the steps to create a new character myself, and use that experience to build it. Hopefully I can get that done tonight.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I was just going to throw things into the US roller char sheet myself and anything that didn't have a place I'd make a spot for under notes.

As for character right now I'm leaning towards Forest Gnome Rogue (Thief)
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”