OOC I: The Sunless Citadel

DM: Dave
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: OOC I

#81 Post by Scott308 »

I might be able to put together a character by Thursday, but I definitely cannot do daily posting. I did not realize that was how often I'd be required to post. I generally do not have the ability to access the site at work, and I have call responsibilities that can extend my time at work. Plus I have my weekly game night right after work. I can post a couple times a week and typically on weekends. I apologize, but I will have to bow out if daily posting is required. I'll likely read along to see how things go, so if anyone has questions I'll be happy to help.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#82 Post by dmw71 »

Hmmm... yes, I find that daily (or almost daily) games progress at a nice, steadily pace and are less likely to stalling out.

Considering how I believe you were looking to play a more background or supporting role anyway, it might not be a huge deal as only the decision-making responses are required daily. The only potential problems would be encounters, when I look to resolve it a round-per-day, but even then the occasional action could be NPC'd as needed.

So, yes, please do work to complete a character and I will try to manage the pace of the game, especially in certain parts, to balance it and make it comfortable for everyone.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#83 Post by Mister-Kent »

Sorry for the absence! Getting my stuff together now, it's been a trying week :/

So far, I have Farador Lichenwood, Half-Elf Cleric of Corellon (Light). Working on the This is Your Life section now...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#84 Post by dmw71 »

I see all five characters built in D&D Beyond. Awesome!

With tomorrow (technically today, here in the CST) being Friday, let's plan on beginning this thing in earnest on Monday. Between tomorrow and the weekend, I will review the new characters I haven't seen yet and come up with some way to work them into the beginning of the actual adventure.

Which leads me to the brief introductions that I've already started for a few of you. I probably have a few loose ends there, but we'll tie everything together (even if it's kind of abrupt) and get everyone introduced.

From there, we'll start rolling. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#85 Post by dmw71 »

I spent quite a bit of time familiarizing myself with the different characters and creating character sheets for them (I will still be using those on D&D Beyond, but still wanted to have "backup" information in case that site is ever down for whatever reason). Please try to review yours and let me know if you spot any issues or if you think any information should be added.

Thanks!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#86 Post by Scott308 »

Backstory written! Sorry it took so long, but I'm on call this weekend and ended up having to work yesterday and today.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#87 Post by GreyWolfVT »

dmw71 wrote:I spent quite a bit of time familiarizing myself with the different characters and creating character sheets for them (I will still be using those on D&D Beyond, but still wanted to have "backup" information in case that site is ever down for whatever reason). Please try to review yours and let me know if you spot any issues or if you think any information should be added.

Thanks!
the backup one looks accurate to me. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#88 Post by Shaede »

dmw71 wrote:I spent quite a bit of time familiarizing myself with the different characters and creating character sheets for them (I will still be using those on D&D Beyond, but still wanted to have "backup" information in case that site is ever down for whatever reason). Please try to review yours and let me know if you spot any issues or if you think any information should be added.

Thanks!
Not sure if the save on my cantrip is calculated correctly, but then again, I am not used to having someone who casts things.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#89 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Not sure if the save on my cantrip is calculated correctly, but then again, I am not used to having someone who casts things.
You and I are in the same boat. :lol:

So, let's work this out.

The cantrip comes from your being a high elf.
Cantrip wrote:"You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it."

Aubron has a 9 intelligence, which comes with a -1 modifier.

That said, the spell you picked (Poison Spray) reads the following:
Poison Spray wrote:"The creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 1d12 poison damage."

Aubron has a 14 constitution, which comes with a +2 modifier.

I'm pretty sure the "Con: 14" I have after your cantrip is just that -- Aubron has a 14 constitution... only, the target would use their constitution score, not yours. So I was clearly wrong there.

Where does your "Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it" come into play? Or does it?

We'll figure it out. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#90 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:Where does your "Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it" come into play? Or does it?
Okay, I pinged my Thursday night DM on Facebook with this question, and here was his response:
DM wrote:"It will be straight as the spell reads — the -1 will not come into play... The -1 will apply if it is a ranged attack spell or melee attack spell."

When I thought about it, the second part of his response ("The -1 will apply if it is a ranged attack spell or melee attack spell") still confused me. Isn't 'Poison Spray' a ranged attack spell? It has a range (10-feet), and does damage on a failed save.

His follow-up:
DM wrote:"Not in mechanics world. The mechanic is the saving throw for the enemy."

I have to admit, that response was still a bit confusing, but I remember a guy in my Tuesday night game that uses the 'Fire Bolt' all the time, and needs to make an attack roll.

Fire Bolt:
  • "... make a ranged attack..."

Poison Spray:
  • "...must succeed on a Constitution saving throw..."

I can see the difference. It's definitely going to take me some time to get comfortable with spellcasting in 5e, but this exercise helped, and I'm feeling a lot more confident regarding the handling of THIS spell. :lol: When you cast it, you do not need to make any roll, and "your" intelligence does not factor into it. Whatever you cast the spell on will need to make a saving throw against their constitution to determine the outcome.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by dmw71 »

Okay, two questions:
  1. Regardless of what we actually end up doing, it's probably a good idea to request these now so you have some time to discuss them.

Edit: I will need to know how you guys plan to set up your marching order, in both single-file (e.g. 5-foot) and double-wide (e.g. 10-foot) formations:

Marching Orders
    Scout
    • TBD

5-foot
    • TBD

10-foot
    • TBD
  2. As I've been preparing 'The Sunless Citadel' module, my impression of it is that it is pretty much a dungeon crawl. Yes, there are some opportunities for role playing, both inside the dungeon and out, but the general feel of the module is pretty dungeon-crawly.

Is that what you guys are interested in, or would you rather run something that is more balanced?

I obviously don't want to debate this for too long since I'll need to prepare the opening, but thought I'd at least throw this "discovery" out there, just in case that's not the type of game you're interested in.

Let me know. :)
Last edited by dmw71 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit: Clarification of marching order request.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#92 Post by dmw71 »

Also, tokens.

Keep in mind that these are all the zoomed in image (the tokens will be much smaller when actually on the map), but I went through and picked out a few for each character that are the closest fits. Take a look and let me know which you think best represents your characters.

Aubron
Aubron 1.png
Aubron 1.png (209.94 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Aubron 2.png
Aubron 2.png (139.12 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Aubron 3.png
Aubron 3.png (209.61 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Aubron 4.png
Aubron 4.png (318.68 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Kelben
Kelben 1.png
Kelben 1.png (104.17 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Kelben 2.png
Kelben 2.png (141.06 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Kelben 3.png
Kelben 3.png (96.88 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Kelben 4.png
Kelben 4.png (66.85 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Kelben 5.png
Kelben 5.png (229.64 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Sky
Sky 1.png
Sky 1.png (104.54 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Sky 2.png
Sky 2.png (99.63 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Sky 3.png
Sky 3.png (111.83 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Sky 4.png
Sky 4.png (129.66 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Qelgrax
Qelgrax 1.png
Qelgrax 1.png (52.04 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Qelgrax 2.png
Qelgrax 2.png (64.84 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Qelgrax 3.png
Qelgrax 3.png (70.57 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Qelgrax 4.png
Qelgrax 4.png (68.5 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Qelgrax 5.png
Qelgrax 5.png (70.44 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Farador
Farador 1.png
Farador 1.png (210.7 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Farador 2.png
Farador 2.png (305.01 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Farador 3.png
Farador 3.png (173.52 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Farador 4.png
Farador 4.png (139.89 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
---

Again, keep in mind that these will be a LOT smaller on the actual map. To illustrate this, here are all the above tokens captures in a single image:
Tokens.png
Tokens.png (128.65 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
So don't sweat it too much if the image isn't a perfect match... but, if none of those supplied above will work for your character, just let me know and I can try to search for others that might be a "worse" technical fit (e.g. wrong armor/weapon/shield, etc...), but maybe closer to what you had in mind.[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#93 Post by Shaede »

Dave, So, I did some reasearch online (Google to the rescue) and found this:

When you cast a spell that has a Saving Throw, you do not have to roll a d20. Instead, your target must roll a Saving Throw to mitigate/cancel the effects of the spell cast against it. If the spell causes damage, you can go ahead and roll the damage (unless the spell specifies there is no damage on a successful saving throw, then you might want to hold off).

So again with our lv1, 16INT Wizard, his spell save DC would be 8 + 2 (Proficiency Bonus) + 3 (INT modifier) = 13. So if he were to cast Burning Hands, any creature caught in the flames would get to make a Dexterity Saving Throw, as required by the spell's description rolling 1d20 + their Dexterity Saving Throw modifier, and any total of 13 or higher would cause them to only take half-damage on the 3d6 you would roll, again as explained in the spell's description.

So, due to Aubron's INT, he has a spell save DC9 (8 + 2 (Prof) - 1 (INT Mod)). So, I think a monster would need to roll a CON saving throw above 9. At least, that's how I figure it.
dmw71 wrote: Okay, two questions:

1. Regardless of what we actually end up doing, it's probably a good idea to request these now so you have some time to discuss them:

Not sure what you're asking on this? What position, do we see ourselves in a dungeon crawl? If so, I think the ranger is 10ft

2. As I've been preparing 'The Sunless Citadel' module, my impression of it is that it is pretty much a dungeon crawl. Yes, there are some opportunities for role playing, both inside the dungeon and out, but the general feel of the module is pretty dungeon-crawly.

I like the dungeon crawl with a little RP thrown in, personally

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#94 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Of the tokens for me I like #4 the most #1 would be my second favorite. As for the debate on what to run I don't really care I'm just here for the experience. ;) in more than one way :D the exp & the xp :D

Marching order since I'm the rogue I am more than happy to be the scout if needed however the Ranger would be a good scout as well. I in no means need to be the "protected one in the middle I can be scout or rearguard or second in line those positions make the most sense to me for my class.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#95 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Not sure what you're asking on this? What position, do we see ourselves in a dungeon crawl? If so, I think the ranger is 10ft
I added some clarification to my request. Sorry, that was pretty vague. Basically, there are five of you,
and I just want to establish ahead of time the marching order you guys will use in single-wide (e.g. 5-foot) and double-wide (e.g.
10-foot) situations.
Shaede wrote:I like the dungeon crawl with a little RP thrown in, personally
Noted.

Most of the role-playing in this module takes place before the adventure actually begins:
  • You start in town,
    You hear rumors or get fed hooks,
    You guys act upon them.

Part of my debate stems from a debate I had as to whether starting in town was actually necessary, or if I should start you guys right where the adventure itself actually begins.

I'm tempted to do the later.

I can simply feed you a hook and establish that there's a nearby town that you can return to, place you at the setting, then set you free to do your thing. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#96 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Of the tokens for me I like #4 the most...
Since you guys aren't sharing tokens, you can automatically have your favorite -- so, #4 it is. ;)
GreyWolfVT wrote:Marching order since I'm the rogue I am more than happy to be the scout if needed however the Ranger would be a good scout as well. I in no means need to be the "protected one in the middle I can be scout or rearguard or second in line those positions make the most sense to me for my class.
The marching order and who (if anyone) is functioning as the scout can vary by situation -- I'm just looking for a default formation to use, just in case.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#97 Post by Shaede »

dmw71 wrote:Also, tokens.

Aubron
Aubron 1.png
Aubron 2.png
Aubron 3.png
Aubron 4.png
[/ooc]
I Like 4

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#98 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:I Like 4
Then #4 it is.

That seems to be the lucky number.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#99 Post by Mister-Kent »

The ref sheet looks correct to me! For Farador, I think the last token looks good.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#100 Post by dmw71 »

Mister-Kent wrote:For Farador, I think the last token looks good.
The fourth one! Lol
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”