OOC I: The Sunless Citadel

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#161 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Crazy question if this entire thread is entirely out of character why are we using the OOC tags/colored text?
I'm kind of obsessive about linking, so I use the 'ooc' tag to make the links stand out against the red text.

That's my excuse, anyway. ;)
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#162 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ok. I just thought maybe I missed some crazy rule that said even in the OOC only thread we had to use OOC text.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#163 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Ok. I just thought maybe I missed some crazy rule that said even in the OOC only thread we had to use OOC text.
Nope.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#164 Post by Shaede »

dmw71 wrote: Something I'm still debating is what you decide to do with the weapon you're switching from. Given rounds are only 6-seconds, and you can already do a lot in a round, simply dropping your current weapon would be a free action, but taking the time to actually stow it properly might require an action?
Again, I've seen (or read) where it was allowed to drop the bow and pull your sword as one action (or a free action, if you wish).
dmw71 wrote: Still something I'm thinking about. But, at least for now, definitely feel free to switch up your action to attack with a melee weapon instead of your bow.
I will revised my combat after the rats move into position.
GreyWolfVT wrote: Crazy question if this entire thread is entirely out of character why are we using the OOC tags/colored text?
Because I'm new here and I saw Dave doing it. Figured he knew what he was doing! ha
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#165 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Because I'm new here and I saw Dave doing it. Figured he knew what he was doing! ha
:lol:
-- Project --

-- DM --
GreyWolfVT

#166 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sooo... just because everyone else is doing it you're going to do it too ;) :D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#167 Post by dmw71 »

Searching on "switch" in the 'Sage Advice' does not return any results.
-- Project --

-- DM --
GreyWolfVT

#168 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Question: Dave on the death saving throw are there any bonuses from any of Kelben's stats for this or just straight 1d20 roll?

Edit: Also could my Survival skill be of any assistance in this circumstance?

GreyWolfVT

#169 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ignore that i read the information slower...fully and see it says not tied to any ability score....lame! so i rolled my first fail out of 3 attempts.... :roll:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#170 Post by dmw71 »

Nope, sorry. It's just a straight up d20 roll.

Your survival skill won't help in this situation:
Survival wrote: "The DM might ask you to make a Wisdom (Survival) check to follow tracks, hunt wild game, guide your group through frozen wastelands, identify signs that owlbears live nearby, predict the weather, or avoid quicksand and other natural hazards."
-- Project --

-- DM --
Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#171 Post by Shaede »

Ugghhh! First encounter and down goes Kelben. Now, that is awful luck. Hopefully, I killed one on my turn, and there's only one left to face.
GreyWolfVT

#172 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Funny thing is I started a game night at home with my two kids and my wife on Friday's and my son's cleric almost died by a giant rat as well. So I guess this is karma :lol:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#173 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Ugghhh! First encounter and down goes Kelben. Now, that is awful luck. Hopefully, I killed one on my turn, and there's only one left to face.
My rolling two max damage rolls was very unfortunate, but it's actually not a terrible thing that it happened so early in the game, and against opponents you'll almost certainly defeat. It will give everyone new to 5e exposure to a lot of aspects of the system:

Better to get them out of the way now, when the stakes are low, right? (And hopefully never need to use them again.) ;)
GreyWolfVT wrote:Funny thing is I started a game night at home with my two kids and my wife on Friday's and my son's cleric almost died by a giant rat as well. So I guess this is karma.
What are the odds? :lol:
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#174 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Medicine Check: [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24
Crit Baby!
Nice!

Ed, the successful 'medicine' skill stabilizes Kelben, which means this:
Stabilizing a Creature wrote:"A stable creature doesn't make death saving throws, even though it has 0 hit points, but it does remain unconscious. The creature stops being stable, and must start making death saving throws again, if it takes any damage. A stable creature that isn't healed regains 1 hit point after 1d4 hours."

So, while that second failure would have made things interesting next round... you're good. ;)
-- Project --

-- DM --
GreyWolfVT

#175 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'll quote one of the players from my Al-Qadim game Dave
max_vale wrote:"Alas, Fate can be cruel my friend"
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#176 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I'll quote one of the players from my Al-Qadim game Dave
max_vale wrote:"Alas, Fate can be cruel my friend"
There's a lot of truth in that statement.
-- Project --

-- DM --
GreyWolfVT

#177 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I've another fun player to quote from the same game too.
ravenn4544 wrote:"So Fickle is Fate to prod a mighty warrior such as I into this position! Glory may sometimes start with an uncertain road. Let it come!"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#178 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:1. Switching weapons is free action (completed in same round)
2. Sheathing one weapon and drawing another is one action (1 round to resolve)
3. Sheathing one weapon is one action and drawing another is another action (2 rounds to resolve)
I've been thinking about this, and we will go with your first option.

The idea here is that I don't want to penalize players by making them waste a turn simply to switch from one weapon to another. If you're simply performing a simple weapon switch, you're good. Attempting to switch weapons multiple times (e.g. bow > sword > bow or dagger > staff > dart ) in a single round will require the 'Use an Object' action.

Cool?
-- Project --

-- DM --
GreyWolfVT

#179 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cool with me Dave. :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#180 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Kelben says in lower tones "Unless we've found the magical healing apple I suspect I am healed as much as I can be with out is resting for a long period of time." he sighs at the end of the statement.
Ed, because I know your background is deeply rooted in 2e, I figure I'd take this opportunity to share a bit about how resting works in 5e, because it is significantly different.

The following rules can be found here: Resting.
Resting
Heroic though they might be, adventurers can't spend every hour of the day in the thick of exploration, social interaction, and combat. They need rest — time to sleep and eat, tend their wounds, refresh their minds and spirits for spellcasting, and brace themselves for further adventure.

Adventurers, as well as other creatures, can take short rests in the midst of a day and a long rest to end it.

Short Rest
A short rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.

A character can spend one or more Hit Dice at the end of a short rest, up to the character’s maximum number of Hit Dice, which is equal to the character’s level. For each Hit Die spent in this way, the player rolls the die and adds the character’s Constitution modifier to it. The character regains hit points equal to the total (minimum of 0). The player can decide to spend an additional Hit Die after each roll. A character regains some spent Hit Dice upon finishing a long rest, as explained below.

Long Rest
A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch. If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity — at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity — the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.

At the end of a long rest, a character regains all lost hit points. The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character's total number of them (minimum of one die). For example, if a character has eight Hit Dice, he or she can regain four spent Hit Dice upon finishing a long rest.

A character can't benefit from more than one long rest in a 24-hour period, and a character must have at least 1 hit point at the start of the rest to gain its benefits.
---

Additionally, different features are recovered after taking rests. The rogue class apparently isn't the best example, as many of their abilities and features don't seem to require rests to recover, but their 'Stroke of Luck' feature (at 20th level -- lol) is one:

Stroke of Luck
"At 20th level, you have an uncanny knack for succeeding when you need to. If your attack misses a target within range, you can turn the miss into a hit. Alternatively, if you fail an ability check, you can treat the d20 roll as a 20.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
"

For other classes, rests may be more important.
-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”