Session 0: Oakhurst

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Session 0: Oakhurst

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Oakhurst
You all, for your own individual reasons, ended up in Oakhurst, a tiny village located roughly 15-miles northeast from Neverwinter, and a few short miles south of the Neverwinter Wood:
See the red circle on the below map.
Oakhurst.jpg
Oakhurst.jpg (235.31 KiB) Viewed 5704 times
The only place for traveler’s to stay in Oakhurst is a clean and well run establishment named the Ol' Boar Inn. The two-story wooden building that also has a sizable tavern is made of thick oak planks, and the roof is tiled with shingles rather than thatch. The sign hanging above the front door is a crude painting of a hog’s head that has faded over time. The thick, chain-smoking innkeeper is Garon Gladdish, a former adventurer who was once known as the Ol’ Boar.
Garon.png
Garon.png (247.1 KiB) Viewed 5704 times
Sky arrived at the inn first, and while it was almost completely abandoned in the early morning hours upon her arrival, she was led to a small, rickety wooden table in the deep corner of the inn. Aubron, another stranger, entered next, followed shortly thereafter by Kelben, and the pair were seated in similar tables adjacent to Sky. Then Farador. Then Qelgrax. The five of you, almost at the same time, suggested that if you were all going to be sequestered off from the locals, you may as well actually sit together.

This gathering proved to be quite beneficial as, over the course of your meal and drinks, you discovered that, while you likely had your own private reasons for ending up in Oakhurst, you all admit to being drawn by stories of the "Sunless Citadel."

At one point during your meal, Garon approaches the new quintet with an attractive, respectable woman at his side. "Please, don't rise," she says authoritatively, introducing herself as Kerowyn Hucrele, owner and operator of the General Store in town:
Kerowyn Hucrele.png
Kerowyn Hucrele.png (262.79 KiB) Viewed 5704 times
"Garon here tells me you're interested in the Sunless Citadel," she starts, sliding into the single empty seat left at your table without asking permission. "That'll be all," Kerowyn says, waving the innkeep away, and once Garon departs, and she's convinced she has your full attention, she proceeds to share a story about her twin children -- Talgen, her son, and Sharwyn, her daughter. "I've been hoping for a group like yours to come through so that I might implore: Can you please help find my children?"

"They left nigh two weeks ago with their friend, Karakas, and Sir Braford, to seek out the Sunless Citadel."
Her tone turns sharp as she speaks this last name, but she does not elaborate. "I fear some ill fortune has befallen them, and they're all I have left after their father passed. If you can find and return them to me, I will reward you handsomely."

"And if they've --"
she begins to chokes up, clearly fighting off thoughts of the worst. "If they've -- well. If you can't return my children to me, they both wore gold rings emblazoned with our family emblem. Please, at least return these family heirlooms to me."

Beginning to quickly lose her composure, Kerowyn hastily rises to her feet and drops a folded piece of parchment onto your table before leaving. The parchment, once unfolded, reveals an overland map she had readied to present to the right prospects:
Overland Map.png
Overland Map.png (841.69 KiB) Viewed 5704 times

---

Okay, my plan is to get the group to the site of the adventure right from the start, but figured I'd leave things here... for now. Feel free ask any questions you might have, and we'll advance the story again once you've had a chance to role-play for a bit. If you want.

Actions?

---

Date: 12 Flamerule 1489
Time: 09:14 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Temp: 66°F
Conditions: Cloudy and cool with a light breeze.
Light Sources:
  • None.
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None.
D&D Beyond Content: Campaign, Player's Handbook, Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Character Sheets Character Status
  • Shaede | Aubron | High Elf | Ranger (1) | NG | HP: 12 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Init: +3 | Percept: 14 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Sylvan, Common, Elvish, Orc, Dwarvish
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue (1) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Init: +2 | Percept: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Gnomish, Thieves’ Cant
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (1) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Init: +3 | Percept: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Infernal
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (1) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 7 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Init: +2 | Percept: 12 | Darkvision: No | Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish, Abyssal
  • Mister-Kent | Farador | Half-Elf | Cleric (1) | CG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 16 | SP: 30' | Init: +2 | Percept: 12 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Elvish
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Session 0: Prelude

#2 Post by Shaede »

Aubron
An elf who is clearly from the wilds donned in leather and a longbow on his back, takes a seat at the table in the small inn. His journey to Oakhurst has been long, and he welcomes the opportunity to rest a little while. One by one, he watches a gnome, a half blood, and some strange dragonlike humanoid enter the small inn while he eats his meal.

Aubron then sees the distraught lady enter and plead for help. She seems to think that we are all some group, yet Aubron is accustomed to working alone. He hunts the wilds for his food, uses the trees as his shelter, and destroys anything that would otherwise taint his forest home. No, Aubron is a solitary elf. However, the God of the Hunt has brought him to this small little hamlet named Oakhurst. Perhaps this meeting is not by chance.

Listening to the story of Kerowyn’s children, Aubron thinks of his tracking. He starts to ask for more information on the group of missing people.

Lady Kerowyn, it is sad to hear that you’re loved ones are missing. My name is Aubron Wranlana, and I am a ranger of the High Forest. I have tracked many things in my life. Perhaps I can be of service, but I would need some more information. Please tell me more about your children, Talgen and Sharwyn. Also, I would like to hear more on Karakas and Sir Bradford. If you could describe them for me, and if they are traveling on foot or horseback, it will be most helpful.”

Aubron sits back and listens to the woman very intently.

Aubron's Actions
Move:
Action:
Bonus:
Reaction:

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#3 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

The red-scaled dragon-man listens to Kerowyn spin her tale. As she finishes,the gives her his best sympathetic smile, which contains far too many sharp teeth for human comfort. Lady Hucrele, my condolences of the disappearance of your children and their friends. While the five of us sup together at this table, we had actually never met prior to entering this establishment. However, through the course of our meals, we discovered that we all had an interest in the Sunless Citadel. Not to place words in the mouths of my colleagues, but I believe we may be likely to help you. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them during my exploration, whether the others choose to accompany me or not. Now, as my elven acquaintance requested, any additional information you may give us could be invaluable.
For instance, this Sir Bradford- is he some sort of caregiver or tutor? How trustworthy is he really, taking young children on a journey such as that. I assume he is at least mildly competent with a weapon, yes?
What reason do you have to suspect they made their way to the Citadel? Did they leave a note? Is it possible that this is a kidnapping?

When he finishes, he gives her another toothy grin, trying to look as friendly and endearing as possible. My name is Klilxuac.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben listens to everything very intently nodding ever so often to show he is listening while slowing thinking all the information over before saying anything. He sits there listening to the others state their points and opinions on the matter at hand. "Names Kelben and of course I will be willing to look into the matter of your missing children. Whatever can be done to return them to you safely I'll see to it that it can be so. If forbid the thought it is unable to be so, I'll be sure you get the rings as you've requested." being about the same size as a human child himself the gnome can't help but feel a little remorse and duty to ensure the return of the children.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Mister-Kent »

Farador smiles serenely as the others console Kerowyn. He has removed his heavy gauntlets and folded them upon his lap while patiently listening to the table's discussion.

"Corellion's light will shine upon the Sunless Citadel," Farador interjects. His tone is less than certain--more like hopeful, adding an unspoken "maybe?" to his statement.

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben turns to look at Farador one eyebrow raised "What kind of a response is that? Sounds more like a battle cry Farador. Does that mean you are going to help?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Mister-Kent »

Farador is quiet a moment, tilting his head thoughtfully, considering.

"Yes...that would be my duty, of course." He pulls his chair closer to the table. "What kind of cleric would I be if I didn't?"

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mister-Kent wrote:Farador is quiet a moment, tilting his head thoughtfully, considering.

"Yes...that would be my duty, of course." He pulls his chair closer to the table.
"What kind of cleric would I be if I didn't?"
Kelben smiles at Farador's reply and chuckles a little "Glad to hear it. Not a very good cleric for sure if you didn't. Then again clerics aren't always good, if you were one of them clerics of Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul or Shar, it'd be fitting to not care."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Mister-Kent »

"But I DO CARE. And I AM GOOD," Farador tells Kelben defensively, his gentle detachment rattled momentarily by an imagined accusation.

"I do care," he repeats quietly to the others, as if stating it for the record.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

Looking at half-elf, Aubron feels some slight attachment to him already. Of course you do, Farador. We all have our higher powers that guide us, in one direction or another. Solonor has brought me here and to all of you. And, Solonor will guide me home to the Pale Tree one day. Until then, we will protect what we hold dear.

Aubron's Actions
Move:
Action:
Bonus:
Reaction:

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky
Was minding her own business in the tavern

Sky's nap had already been interrupted a few times this morning as obvious outsiders filtered into the tavern. She thought agreeing to sit near each other and chat for a bit would allow her to continue napping but the arrival of Kerowyn with the dress of many frills closed that option. So many frills...I wonder how they would feel...Wait! Did one flutter? I must observe! It's like something is in her dress, causing the frills to flutter...something unknown...

Sky's attention is focused solely on the dress until the map is dropped and unfolded on the table. She slowly raises her paw and places it on the corner of the map. "Sorry. I wasn't paying attention. Did you say something about children? How old are said children? Are you old enough to have adult children? Please forgive my ignorance, but I still have a difficult time determining how old humans are."

She nods her head at the frilly dress lady, and cocks her head a bit to the side to listen.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mister-Kent wrote:"But I DO CARE. And I AM GOOD," Farador tells Kelben defensively, his gentle detachment rattled momentarily by an imagined accusation.

"I do care," he repeats quietly to the others, as if stating it for the record.
Kelben smiles "Okay okay calm down Farador. I wasn't saying you're evil in any way. Was just saying if you were one of the darker clerics not caring would make you a good cleric of that type. Being good I was indicating that you caring makes you a very good cleric." he gives the cleric a sly wink.

Scott308

#13 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Seeing the humanoid feline displaying playful traits normally associated with the smaller, four-legged felidae, the Dragonborn surreptitiously whispers a few words, and with a wiggle of his fingers causes a small, red dot to appear on the table, slowly travelling in front of Sky and onto the tavern floor.
Prestidigitation cantrip for the win!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

Kerowyn Hucrele
The group listens intently to their new guest as she painfully shares the details of the disappearance of her twin children. "It does not --" Kerowyn starts, then pauses on the word "not" for dramatic effect. "It does not make it easier, but my children have aged 17 years, and are perhaps more capable than I led on -- my son, for instance, is well-trained with the sword, and Sharwyn, my beautiful daughter, was a dabbler in the arcane magics." She pauses briefly, taking a deep breath. "Their friend, Karakas, is a few years older, and is a bit of a hunter; an outdoorsman. The three of them were quite adventurous, and I overheard them once speaking about the Sunless Citadel... but, they hushed their voices when they noticed me nearby -- see, they knew they were forbidden from visiting that place. That's when Sir Braford arrived." Kerowyn takes a deep sip from her glass of wine, then motions for Garon to refill the drinks of everyone at the table.

"Two ten-days ago," she starts. "The knight of Pelor graced us with his presence," she says; the delivery of this last line laced with sarcasm. "Once he brandished Shatterspike, his magical sword, and started boasting of his plans to finally solve the mystery of where the goblins are getting their magical apples..." she pauses. "You are aware of the apples?"

After catching some sideways glances, she begins a bit of a history lesson:

"I do not know much of the Sunless Citadel, and have never been there, but it is becoming more commonly accepted that the nearby ruins have become infested by a goblin tribe. Each midsummer, the goblins arrive, in large numbers, and always have with them a single, bright red apple... which --" she pauses, and hesitates before continuing. "-- the apple does have healing properties." she finishes, looking almost embarrassed to make such a claim. "These nuisances show up with this apple and auction it off to the highest bidder -- well, that is their devious plan, anyway. The people of Oakhurst are not a rich lot, so I inevitably end up purchasing this apple every year and, if I don't have an immediate use for it myself, I ration it out to those in need."

"The greedy bastards have been demanding more and more each year for this apple. Last year, it cost me 50-gold pieces. I'm sure it will be even more this year,"
she says, shaking her head.

A look of concern spreads across her face as the dragon-hybrid admits that, while they're all seated together, they're virtually strangers. Her confidence is restored, however, as she sits back and enjoys the group banters back and forth. While indulging on many glasses of wine.

Kerowyn says she believes her kids slipped out during the middle of the night, on the day Sir Braford arrived, and since their horses are still stabled, she suspects they left on foot. "Even at a slow pace, it wouldn't take a person more than a half day to reach the citadel traveling on foot, if they take the Old Road."

Kerowyn allows for more questions, but the alcohol seems to be taking an effect on her as she begins to show signs of impairment, including slightly slurring her words.

---

Actions?

---

Date: 12 Flamerule 1489
Time: 09:59 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Temp: 66°F
Conditions: Cloudy and cool with a light breeze.
Light Sources:
  • None.
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None.
D&D Beyond Content: Campaign, Player's Handbook, Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Character Sheets Character Status
  • Shaede | Aubron | High Elf | Ranger (1) | NG | HP: 12 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Init: +3 | Percept: 14 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Sylvan, Common, Elvish, Orc, Dwarvish
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue (1) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Init: +2 | Percept: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Gnomish, Thieves’ Cant
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (1) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Init: +3 | Percept: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Infernal
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (1) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 7 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Init: +2 | Percept: 12 | Darkvision: No | Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish, Abyssal
  • Mister-Kent | Farador | Half-Elf | Cleric (1) | CG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 16 | SP: 30' | Init: +2 | Percept: 12 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Elvish
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

At the mention of the apple, Aubron becomes intensely focused on the Lady's story. "Solonor is good, and he will help us to find your children. This I swear," he says in a quiet tone.

Looking at his new compatriots, he takes them all in. This is a ragged bunch of souls, but perhaps, together, they can solve this mystery. His mind racing, he knows that tracking the lost may prove difficult considering the time that has passed. However, with goblins in the woods nearby, Aubron considers that a stealthy way forward may be his best option. He has hunted many a Goblin in the High Forest, and he knows their breed well. This will prove invaluable on this mission.

He turns to the group, "Goblins. They are a scheming bunch, and we should tread carefully. I think we should set out at first light tomorrow. I can scout ahead of the group, and by days end, we should arrive at the Citadel. It is time to prepare."

Turning back to the lady, Aubron asks, "Lady Kerowyn, your tale is woeful, but there is hope, I feel. Do you have supplies in your store that could aid us in our journey?"

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben hand on his chin looks deep in thought after mention of this magical healing apple then after about 2 minutes he looks up and says "Has this apple really worked? I've never heard of a healing apple before. Usually just spells and potions, sometimes magical rings that can heal." his attention plainly drawn to this apple is a little too obvious with how the gnome is leaning forward on his elbows and the gleam in his eyes showing his excitement realizing he is giving away his focus on the apple he sits back and puts a calmer look on his face "Of course the kids are more like finding upstart adventurers now that more of the information has been revealed. Though this does help to know we are not looking for little children. But rather fully grown adults. How much more do you know about this Sir Bradford fellow? He sounds like a recruiter of adventurers or perhaps a mercenary."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky
Seeing Spots

Mention of Kerowyn's apparent wealth sparks Sky's interest. Hearing the lady slur her words causes Sky to act. "My Lady. We would, of course, look into the matter of the Sunless Citadel and its succulent stories of apples and goblins. It is getting rather on in the evening and I don't know if you are aware, but I am an accomplished entertainer. Perhaps I could perform a song for you to enhance your mood and instill confidence in our success?"

Sky pulls her lute out and sets it on the table. "But first...there is the simple matter of this infernal spot!" Sky leaps from the table, races over to the spot and smacks it with both paws.

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben begins to smile and chuckle as Sky is suddenly distracted by the mysterious magical dot and gives a wink and a thumbs up to Qelgrax and says to Kerowyn "Yes we shall set out as soon as our friend gets the dot."

Scott308

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

That is much better to hear. At the very least, they have some ability to defend themselves.
I am surprised, however, that you are even old enough to have children that age. We will do everything within our power to return them to you,
the sorcerer says, smiling and turning on the charm. This ragtag group seems to have decided that we shall work together and help you. I don't know if others have anything they may need to do in town before we set out, but I would imagine we should be able to be on our way fairly soon. As he speaks, Klilxuac makes the red dot travel back onto the table before settling it on Farador's nose.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky
Hunting

Sky watches intently as the dot escapes her grasp. Blasted thing! How did it escape? It can only be....dark magic! Ah! There it is....
Her eyes follow the dot until it rests upon the one called Farador. Her pupils slowly dilate until only inky black remains. She crouches down, her tail twitching almost imperceptibly as she lies in wait. You will not escape this time, spot!

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”