OOC I: The Sunless Citadel

DM: Dave
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC I

#101 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Just for fun...the fourth one works for me. :D

Also, I think her skills are wrong. They seem to be a copy of Aubron.

They should be:
Acrobatics (Dex): +5
Deception (Cha): +5
Insight (Wis): +3
Perception (Wis): +3
Performance (Cha): +5
Persuasion (Cha): +5
Stealth (Dex): +5

As for marching order, how about:
Kelben
Farador
Sky
Qelgrax
Aubron

Kelben/Farador
Qelgrax
Aubron/Sky

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#102 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Just for fun...the fourth one works for me. :D
:lol:
Monsieur Rose wrote:Also, I think her skills are wrong. They seem to be a copy of Aubron.

They should be:
Acrobatics (Dex): +5
Deception (Cha): +5
Insight (Wis): +3
Perception (Wis): +3
Performance (Cha): +5
Persuasion (Cha): +5
Stealth (Dex): +5 .
Indeed they were. Thanks! They've been updated.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#103 Post by Shaede »

Monsieur Rose wrote: As for marching order, how about:
Kelben
Farador
Sky
Qelgrax
Aubron

Kelben/Farador
Qelgrax
Aubron/Sky
I like that order. For the first time, I've now scoped out our party. We have a cleric tank! Certainly Aubron can scout as well. He has a tad higher perception and movement speed, with a little bit lower stealth than Kelben. Though, if he gets caught, he'll need to melee instead of range. I love that almost all of us have darkvision.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#104 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:I love that almost all of us have darkvision.
I still have a hard time believing Dragonborn do not have nightvision. I haven't looked at the race that closely, but I imagine the omission probably has something to do with game balance.

It's a similar situation in my rare Thursday night game where the Dragonborn is the only PC without it... and it already caused us issues when we got separated. Definitely made for some interesting role-playing, though!
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#105 Post by dmw71 »

We can keep it as brief or as prolonged as you'd like, but let's get things started: Session 0: Prelude. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#106 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Shaede wrote:
Monsieur Rose wrote: As for marching order, how about:
Kelben
Farador
Sky
Qelgrax
Aubron

Kelben/Farador
Qelgrax
Aubron/Sky
I like that order. For the first time, I've now scoped out our party. We have a cleric tank! Certainly Aubron can scout as well. He has a tad higher perception and movement speed, with a little bit lower stealth than Kelben. Though, if he gets caught, he'll need to melee instead of range. I love that almost all of us have darkvision.
I'm good with this order.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#107 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:It's a similar situation in my rare Thursday night game where the Dragonborn is the only PC without it... and it already caused us issues when we got separated. Definitely made for some interesting role-playing, though!
Light cantrip helps. Much better than having to use a 1st level slot.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Scott308

#108 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:
Shaede wrote:Dave, So, I did some reasearch online (Google to the rescue) and found this:
I'll have to give that whole post a read, but what you said below actually makes perfect sense. Yes, the target receives a saving throw against their ability score modifier, but the -1 from Aubron's intelligence also comes into play when determining the DC needed to make that save.

Okay, now I think I really get it, but I went digging to find the official rules on this:

Spellcasting
Casting a Spell > Saving Throw
Saving Throws wrote:"Many spells specify that a target can make a saving throw to avoid some or all of a spell's effects. The spell specifies the ability that the target uses for the save and what happens on a success or failure.

The DC to resist one of your spells equals 8 + your spellcasting ability modifier + your proficiency bonus + any special modifiers."

Casting a Spell > Attack Rolls
Attack Rolls wrote:"Some spells require the caster to make an attack roll to determine whether the spell effect hits the intended target. Your attack bonus with a spell attack equals your spellcasting ability modifier + your proficiency bonus.

Most spells that require attack rolls involve ranged attacks. Remember that you have disadvantage on a ranged attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature that can see you and that isn't incapacitated (see chapter 9)."

So, let's say you attempt to cast 'Poison Spray' against a black bear.

The DC of your spell would be 9:
    + your spellcasting ability modifier (-1)
    + your proficiency bonus (+2)
    + any special modifiers (+0)
    ----------
    8 + (-1) + 2 + 0 = 9
Since the black bear has a 14 constitution, which is +2, it would need to roll a 7 or more in order to resist the spell.

That makes sense to me.
Exactly. And since some spells require attack rolls made by the caster and some need saving throws made by the victim, casters can game the system a little bit to try gaining a slight edge. For example, don't cast Poison Spray on a bear, which would likely have a decent Con. Instead, maybe go for something requiring a Wis or Int save. Or try a spell that you make an attack roll for- unless you have a poor spell attack bonus.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Scott308

#109 Post by Scott308 »

I'm fine with those marching orders. And as much as I wanted to NOT like number 4, that is the closest to how I envisioned Klilxuac, which is his personal name. Qelgrax is the clan name, which comes first for dragonborn.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#110 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:I'm fine with those marching orders. And as much as I wanted to NOT like number 4, that is the closest to how I envisioned Klilxuac, which is his personal name. Qelgrax is the clan name, which comes first for dragonborn.
I've updated his name in the character sheet thread, plus the "footer" section of the "prelude" post.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#111 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hopefully you don't mind but I started trying to create a little rapport with Kelben and so far Farador
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#112 Post by dmw71 »

You guys, as players, are welcome to role-play as much as you'd like. Not everyone is able to post 11.55 times per day ( ;) ), so I won't let a hanging conversation interrupt the game flow, and might not even incorporate all conversations into my follow-up update, but it's great for establishing report, and just having fun!
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#113 Post by GreyWolfVT »

gotta develop some form of relationship with all these new strangers that decided we should all share a table. ;)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#114 Post by Shaede »

A cat taking a catnap and enthralled with frilly things! Now, that's good stuff

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#115 Post by dmw71 »

I definitely appreciate all the role-playing, and think we're off to a nice beginning.

I will still need to get a feel for how "generous" I want to be with this, but I will award everyone Inspiration for this solid start.

Regarding Inspiration, I plan to play this by the book (e.g. only one at a time (not three), and must be declared before the roll is made). That is my plan anyway. I might have a bit of flexibility here (e.g. applying it after a roll), but let's stick with the by-the-book implementation... for now.

---

Official Rule: Inspiration.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#116 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I should consider buying a ball of yarn ;) :D this new companion will be quite entertaining.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Monsieur Rose »

:D

GreyWolfVT

#118 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Monsieur Rose wrote::D
Probably a good thing they didn't have laser pointers back then ;) I can distract my companion way too easily now. "Get the red dot." :lol:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#119 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Probably a good thing they didn't have laser pointers back then ;)
I'm thinking there has to be a 5e cantrip or spell that could duplicate that effect. Lol
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#120 Post by GreyWolfVT »

dmw71 wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Probably a good thing they didn't have laser pointers back then ;)
I'm thinking there has to be a 5e cantrip or spell that could duplicate that effect. Lol
Yeah that is potentially true. Oh lord i can imagine the road travel a stray feather getting tossed around in a light breeze. We've got our A.D.D. PC in Sky ;) we're going to have to keep Sky focused so much. :D

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”