New adventure coming in 2018 "Into the Unknown"

Ullek
Tracker
Tracker

New adventure coming in 2018 "Into the Unknown"

#1 Post by Ullek »

This adventure will start on the Forgotten Realms Continent Map, from where the player characters will be introduced into the campaign. Characters will be able to pick a starting home, religion and basic equipment load-outs, based on race and classes. All sessions will run as part of chapters, with group sessions only running two times per month, as schedules and times permit.

There will be no evil aligned characters, Plane-Touched nor Flyers allowed. All player characters will start with Max hit points at 1st level. I will be using the 1st thru 2nd edition AD&D Rules, Unearthed Arcana, and others. This will be my first foray into The Unseen Servant format of running a campaign, and challenges on running it will come. So I hope you will enjoy the small encounter episode that occurred on this campaign some time ago.

**Please feel free to ask questions about the campaign and post them under this same heading**

Thank you, Ullek

*D&D Basic Rules Release: July 3, 2014
*Unearthed Arcana Old & Revised
*AD&D 2nd Edition - Player's Handbook Revised Version
*The Critical Strikes Rules

====================================================================================

The Journey Starts

The adventurer’s Wilf Edgewood < halfling, druid>, Oberon Brightwood < human, wizard> finally completed their passage through the Clutha Forest travelling for one week through that gloomy area, and found their way to the edge of a caravan trail that cut through a nasty swamp which would require them to spend several more days trekking through it without a guide.

On the trek they came upon a blood trail, which led them to a corpse of fens were apparently a struggled had occurred. There were lots of blood and track marks all over. Further up as they continued now more cautiously on the trail, they observed what appears to be a body lying on the ground.

During their body investigation, they were ambushed by Kobolds which were laying in wait for more prey. A battle then insured were the adventurers were victorious but a kobold that was some distance away was able to make it across a wooden bridge while screeching in its native tongue; they then were able to conclude that the body had more than a dozen wounds on it and also defensive wounds on its arms.

They then traveled further down the trail where they came upon a ransacked camp with two more dead bodies, but after rolling the bodies over and checking them, they noticed that these wounds were cleaner and it appeared they were attacked from behind. One of the bodies did have what looked to be a bloody hand dripping blood tattoo on his left upper arm. The party also found a small pouch containing some coins and a parchment seal with a snake’s visage hidden under a stone by the fire pit. They broken the seal and then read the parchment, it was worded short and to the point, stating “You are late with the goods, were are the goods and how soon” signed: Skavah.

The party then preceded to cross over the wooden bridge and again was set upon by kobolds led this time by a wizard. This time the party had the opportunity to prepare themselves for battle. The battle was short and nasty, with one party member going down unconscious from all the wounds it had received. A healing potion was administered to him when the battle was over. During the search of the bodies more coins were found among the kobolds, an amulet with feathers, and small animal bones were found on the wizard but left untouched due to it radiating malevolence.

The party then continued to travel for approximately twenty odd hours, were they healed and prepared spells for the next day. On the dawn of the next day, they observed what appeared to be an abandoned farm building constructed on a high bluff overgrown with weeds, thorn bushes, and tightly packed trees around the structure.

They made their way up the steep sloop and discovered a large hole at the base of the wall, which was around three feet in circumference and led down and towards the right after the party dropped a light stone to illuminate its darkness. The halfling thought about crawling down it, but at the last moment changed his mind when he concluded he would have to leave all his gear and weapons above.

They then continued to make their way around the wall until they could find a door or window to see what may be on the other side of the wall. Not long after, they came upon a gravel dirt path cutting through the thorn bushes and trees. They soon discovered some critters using the bushes and ground as cover, which appeared to be watching them….!!

The party then moved away and pressed their backs against the wall, then walk slowly pass these unidentified critters, at which time the party was attacked by the critters now identified as swamp beetles. A battle then followed, the wizard reeling from the wounds he received panicked and disappeared into the underbrush pursued by a beetle. During this precarious moment as the halfling was getting assailed from all sides, the noise of the battle was heard by another adventurer making his way through the trail.

So entered Joric Bringer of Rain<human, ranger> Joric observed the situation and responded with a hail of well-placed arrows, which cut down several beetles before they could tear the halfling apart. Wilf Edgewood thanked the ranger for his help in saving his life and then proceeded to bring the ranger up to date on what he and his other friend who had disappeared into the brush had done since arriving here on the bluff.

They party minus Oberon, Brightwood made their way around the corner where they came to a large double door which opened onto a large courtyard. Joric the ranger using his skills to sense danger crossed the door's threshold and observed a white snowy owl perched atop the left gate wall which appeared to be looking back at him with intelligent round eyes. The ranger did not have much time to ponder the strange bird, for at that moment Wilf the halfling gave a startled cry and the party was assailed by more swamp beetles.

The battle was short and brutal with both party members having been wounded during the exchange; they then continued to look about and retreated back to the door.

Observations from some players who were making there way Into the Unknown

"So the adventure begins......"

Ullek, GM
====================================================================================
GreyWolfVT

How many players are you looking for Ullek?

Ullek, GM

Party group composition will be around 6-8 even as high as 10, with a good mix to maximize the parties longevity and structure.

1. Melee classes
2. Secondary melee / utilitarians
3. Core healers or partials
4. DPS casters or mixed
5. Multi-classes

I will be using the gold piece per weight rules, for encumbered travel. Characters will be allowed higher dice rolls for starting gold per class, this is because the nature of the adventures and the foe's the party will encounter. So serious thinking must be thought when creating your character build. Remember this character has to be able to stand too when the craps in the wind, that is one reason why casters must be able to dps. their foe's while still being able to move and fight, this is especially true for core mages.

1.Purpose
2.Durability
3.Sustainability
4.Survival

GreyWolfVT

Hmm well in the case of weight I need to beat up a magic item merchant and steal all his haversacks/bags of holding

Ullek, GM

It's not all bad.... the average person can carry around 20-30 pounds and walk 5km or if there legs muscle are above average 10k-15k, of course terrain will have an impact on travel distances.

So rule of thumb:
1.Armor w/weapons
2.Mundane equipment
3.Extra items that character may need or wants to carry

Rex

I am slightly confused. Is it a play by post came or a get together and play online game? if it is a play by post I am interested.

Ullek, GM

Yes, Rex, it will be a play by post campaign and thank you for your inquiry about it. The posting will be twice a month while I get the campaign in full gear, plus others that may join are also playing other games on the unseen, so I wanted to give folks plenty of time to post their responses and get feedback on any particulars they may ask about. I will be creating a sub-title so folks can post there builds with completed entries on there character sheets, like weapons, armors, equipment, and everything else they must fill-in on their sheet.

GreyWolfVT

I'd be interested to see how you run a game Ullek, so count me in as a player if needed.

Ullek, GM

Well, then my brother take a seat and buckle up, cause I sure intend to find out myself too....LOL... and welcome yourself, and Mr. Rex to the group......Cheers....!!!

PS: Advice to the wise, start working on your character builds....and remember my advice from earlier replies....take your time on your builds and think them over before you submit.

Rex

Great, sounds good. I will start thinking about what I am going to run.

Ullek, GM

Ok, Rex, remember any questions just post I check every day.

Ullek, GM

Updates so far 12/22/17

> Six (side quests storylines have been completed so far, they include maps, encounters, npc's).
> Two (main plot lines have also been completed, to carry party from [Level 0 to Level 2].

The Town of Mineret is 60% completed, this will serve as a starting point for the player characters, where they will be able to resupply, sell items, and receive quests, commissions, and intrigue. The town’s main npc's are all completed with stats and individual answers to questions and gossip, and make friends. Below is a partial list of shops and buildings, to help those with particular professions or traits.

1.City Hall
2.Hall of Justice
3.Guard Barracks
4.Black Smith
5.Armorer Smith
6.Weapons Smith
7.Bower Shop
8.Fletcher Shop
9.Cobbler Shop
10.Farmers
11.Stables <were horses can be bought with equipment>
12.Inn with rooms
13.Wizards Tower
14.Church-Chapel
15.Library
16.Herb Shop
17.Alchemy Shop
18.Provisions – Basic Equipment Shop

I will be adding others as time permits, that is all for now just wanted to give everyone some insight on where we are currently.
Mainline quests have been started, with side quests, branch-out totally 6 completed so far. The amount of content I will be handing out will be steady and challenging, so tighten up the buckles, and sharpen your weapons because winter is coming…….!!

Projected Totals:
Side Quests (36)
Branch-Outs (12)
Main Story Lines (5)

***Special Note: Always keep yourselves healed whenever possible, and work as a team….Think do I really need this equipment or not…..!!...."Oh, no…slimes who got the oil flasks"…..and someone says’s "Oh, thought we were not going to need it"…..LOL…
Thanks,
Ullek

GreyWolfVT

Alright, Ullek some basic questions for character generation:

1: Starting Level?
2: Any Race/Class restrictions?
3: Alignment requirements/restrictions?
4: Are we going to use kits? How about professions since you mentioned that as well?
5: Starting equipment/Money? Roll for coin then purchase equipment?
6: Stats roll in order or roll and place where wanted?

Just the 6 that came to my mind at this point.

Ullek, GM

1: Starting Level?
The starting level will be (1) meaning -0 exp to 1st level, but all characters will start with max hit points, plus Constitution bonus.

2: Any Race/Class restrictions?

Races as per 1e, 2nd, and Arcana.
Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Halflings. subs also, covered in the basic D&D revised. (Player’s Basic Rules Version 0.3)
"Mountain Dwarf, Stout Halfling, Hill Dwarf, Wood Elf, Lightfoot Halfling, High Elf"

Classes: All covered in the above-stated editions, But no anti-classes or assassins."Rangers" use revised edition.

3: Alignment requirements/restrictions?
"No evil alignments"

4: Are we going to use kits? How about professions since you mentioned that as well?
"Basic kits will be allowed after build is completed with gm approval"
"All basic professions will be allowed, but these would operate at apprentice level -300 exp., they would go up as said skills as used during play or in towns".

5: Starting equipment/Money? Roll for the coin then purchase equipment?
"Basic equipment as per stated editions above".
"Starting coin roll will be (1) die higher than class allowed with a 50% bonus added to the final tally of the roll.
(Example if you roll 4d4 for coins, then you would use higher dice 4d6 instead then add a 50% bonus)

6: Stats roll in order or roll and place wher6e wanted?
"Stats will be rolled using the roller in unseen, (roll 3 six-sided dice) you can arrange them in whatever order you want.

GreyWolfVT

Ullek

The sub-races I'm finding are essentially the same ones that can be located within the 2nd edition "splat books" (Complete Guide to Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, Elves, Half-Elves, & Humanoids.) Is that what you are referring to? Most of these sub-races are in UA as well I'm noticing. Same for the kits that are in a lot of these complete guidebooks for the classes as well from 2nd edition.

Also what about non-weapon proficiencies are we using them or not?

Are we allowed to use items from the AD&D Arms & Equipment Guide?

Yes, that's the reason I stated the editions so folks could go to them and not be lost, Yes the non-proficiencies will be used I just forgot to mention it.... also yes on the equipment edition too.

** Word to the wise, a Roman soldier could walk 50 miles in a day and at the end of that horrendous march, create breastworks with fighting steps, and a deep trench and be able to fight a pitched battle at the end....Roman soldiers were there own pack mules, so anything you buy, lol you have to haul....** "Unless your a half-ogre" then just bring extra lunch....lol.

Oh, can you please see if you can attach the other topic called player character builds into the Unknown heading. I tried to create a subpage under the New adventure coming in 2018 "Into the Unknown" heading but it would not let me.....

Do I need permission? Also, I could not add any maps or drawings under the same sub-section again do I need permission, or do I have to pay like Roll20?

**This campaign has a lot of material that I would like on hand for the players, like color maps, drawings, tables, and note journals. Again do I have to pay to receive this service?

Hope I have answered your questions if you need anything else hit me up again I check the unseen every day.

GreyWolfVT

Ullek to get a game setup like the two I am running you have to PM ToniXX the admin for the site he is the only one that can create new game threads and make you the moderator for it. Pretty simple give him the name you wish it to be listed as and when ready tell him the players to have access to it that or you can add players yourself.

Here is the guide on how to get a new game thread setup viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4

rredmond

Hey Ullek,
Ed has steered you right. Gotta dig our senior members!
Check out the link above, and there’s no fee or cost. ToniXX sets everything up for free!
Be well,
—Ron—
PS: though anyone can donate to the hosting costs if able: donate.htm :D

Well, gentlemen that is fantastic news, I would like to set up the tread way before I have my group going, this is to have all pertaining information and maps up in folders so I can open them up as chapters are used.... Since the posting will be twice a month with several moves on the maps I will update based on the players noted sequence actions. I will let the person stated above known when am ready for the tread, thanks, folks.

PS: Thanks for the donation link, it will be coming soon.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers"

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: New adventure coming in 2018 "Into the Unknown"

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

When do we plan to start the game Ullek? Or are you still waiting until we all have 2 characters made up?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Ullek
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by Ullek »

Well, folks, I believe we are almost ready...If anyone still needs anything to add to there sheet please do so now.

Thanks, Ullek

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Dram »

Ullek did you want us to have second character ready?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dram yes Ullek did ask for that. Most of us already have 2 characters. I think it's just you my friend that does not. ;) :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Ullek
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by Ullek »

Yes, Dram that 2nd character you make will be needed....the campaign is tough as nails in many areas and the need will be there for all these characters believe me...when the stuff comes flying, clawing, breathing, and trying to eat you....you will thank me for that 2nd character inclusion.

Thanks,
Ullek

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Dram »

:shock: :( Now I am excited to get this started now.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dram wrote::shock: :( Now I am excited to get this started now.
I think we all are. ;)

Return to “Into the Unknown (1ed/2ed)”