Part 0: At the Broken Heart of the Fallen Kingdom

Mister-Kent
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Part 0: At the Broken Heart of the Fallen Kingdom

#1 Post by Mister-Kent »

The continent of Randunsan was once mostly conquered by the military-minded Quest Kingdom, whose colonies reached from the misty western jungles to the grassy eastern steppes. When old King Quest’s grasp had extended too far, the royal infrastructure collapsed upon itself. Hundreds of years later, the kingdom has been replaced by isolated territories scattered across Randunsan like points of light in a starry sky.

Here at the heart of the fallen kingdom the oldest cities are now massive independent city-states. Urbistadt is among the oldest and most well-fortified, a hexagonal plot of land characterized by its very high outer wall dotted with short jagged towers resembling broken-off bottles. Within its walls Urbistadt is comprised of pale gray utilitarian structures with severely peaked blue and black rooftops.

The Drunken Queen Tavern is the debauched highlight of Urbistadt, a dimly lit place often used by travelers and foolhardy “questers” to gather and exchange information. You are all present tonight among a mostly inebriated—and well-armed—crowd. Having worked together or been previously acquainted, you stick close to each other while the sea of people mills around you.

The Bouncer is a burly trunk of a man, his arms massive knotted logs beneath his leather armor. He doesn’t seem to care if patrons openly brandish their weapons, as long as those weapons never touch another patron. His attention is mostly turned towards the growing turmoil outside the bar, and making sure it doesn’t find its way inside.

"If you're meetin' for work, stay in the back, outta the way," the Bouncer warns, and points to the farthest table in the darkest corner of the Queen. "Questers stay offa the dance floor!" As he finishes his word of caution, a band begins to play on a small stage nearby.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Part 0: At the Broken Heart of the Fallen Kingdom

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

Abstentious Device drags a battered toolkit among the ankles of the bustling crowd, trying to get the attention of patrons. "Reeee-pairs! Tinkers! Mending! Fix yer weapons! Patch yer armor! Tie yer shoes! Jobs large an' small! Insultingly small! Dignity is not an issue, here!"

After being buffeted by milling feet one too many times, the little green man makes his way to the relatively clear back of the establishment, where he spots Molly Maquire. Abstentious has never been shy about mixing with the criminal element, and has provided technical assistance on the occasional heist.

"Molly! Why the long face? You're s'ppossed to be cheering me up! Rough day in the salt mines?"

Abstentious pulls a chair around to Molly's end of the table and hefts his tool box up on it. Then he climbs the chair and perches himself on the toolbox so that he can see over the table edge. "Looks like yer about done wi' that one—can I getcher next drink?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

the scraggly haired, wild eyed former whaler (and latterly whale vomit), stamps his bare feet on the dance floor and 'hoops and hollers' along to the bards' chorus while straining a cats melody out of his concertina. After being quickly drowned out and shuffled off stage he takes a seat and dextrously hooks his half empty frothy flagon of ale with his hook hand. Tipping it to drink though is another skill, lessened more and more by the amount of inebriation he takes in. He 'mage hands' an extra drumstick from the hog roasts and slumps back in his chair, feeling an imaginary ebb and flow of waves, the briny salt air and the thrill of the chase for blubber.

He snores, loudly.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Urson »

Molly

Hello, Abs. I've been playing hide-and seek with an angry warrior all afternoon- I fluffed the exchange playin' Three-Card Molly, an' he saw what I was doin'. Decided he wanted his coin back, with interest. Finally lost him on the roofs in the Dwarf's quarter, over by Gravel Lane.
I appreciate the offer, but if I have any more, you'll find me on the floor, asleep.

The young blonde smiles, the relief showing on her face. As she talks, she absently manipulates a copper coin between her fingers, walking it over he knuckles, making it appear and vanish, and other basic showman's illusions.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Pulpatoon »

Abstentious elbows Molly and inclines his lopsided melon of a head towards the snoring Ambergris. "They say you find th' most inneresting things in a magician's wallet, but that they got alarms an' hexes an' what-all onnem. Wanna see if it's true?"

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Mister-Kent »

(So a goblin, a whaler, and a con-artist walk into a bar…)

Abstentious:
As you scurry to Molly’s table, a large woman—bulbous as a summer squash—sweeps her billowing skirt aside, startled by the presence of one so small and green as you. She spies your tinker’s kit, however, and lets out a delighted sigh. She watches you reach your chair, then runs back to her table.

The Shy Woman approaches your table a bit later with a small velvet bag, but hovers nervously nearby.

Ambergris:
The song being played is an old familiar tune, “The Hunters of Bellona”, a raucous chanty about the legendary monster-hunting guild. Hunters always request to hear it wherever live music is being played, something like their own personal theme song. There are probably several Hunters in the crowd tonight.

After the reeling dance, you drop like a stone into the sea of sleep, your mind assailed by images of the heaving tide and the gently bobbing flotsam of a wrecked ship. There are eels and dead men among the waves, and something moving in the water below entices you to swim down.

At the next table over, a blue-hooded lady shudders at your snoring, then switches seats with her dinner partner, a thin man with a sour expression.

Molly:
As you recount today’s antics to Abstentious, the band finishes their song and begins a new piece with a jittery percussive rhythm.

Earlier today you’d taken the old warrior for an easy mark, but didn’t count on his determination once the game was up. Some people laugh it off—what’s one or two lost coins, in the scheme of things? But this particular warrior was so enraged he chased you all the way through Foundry Square. He might still be circling the Dwarf’s Quarter, searching frantically for you.

You notice the Bouncer open the door to a muscular bearded man in a chainmail shirt—IS THAT HIM?! Has the Vengeful Warrior found you at last?

It is in fact NOT him, but the resemblance is uncanny. Behind him, two more men come in off the street, having a mild argument about something going on outside.

The Band’s setlist for the evening:
Dry Afternoon Song
The Hunters of Bellona
I Miss the Beach
No Empty Glasses
Bawdy Sundown Song
(left open to request)
(left open to request)
Clockwork Guv’ner
Starfall Season
Tip Your Bard

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Pulpatoon »

Abstentious Device whispers to Molly, "Looks like I've got some custom on the line," and waves the Shy Woman over, "Business hours are still in effect, luv! Clocks worked, socks darned, batt'ries recharged. What can I do for you?"

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Mister-Kent »

Abstentious:
The Shy Woman is hesitant to interrupt, but approaches when beckoned. Towering over you, she sets her bag upon the table and removes a small shiny figure in her plump hands--a clockwork bird. "Do you think...you can fix?" she asks in heavily accented Common. "I brought from old country. Last thing my family kept, before the Czars took power."

The wind-up songbird appears to be like animal companion and music box in one. The delicate sophistication of the metal work is quite rare and valuable in these parts, even non-functional as it is.

"If you fix, I tell my friends," she says hopefully. "More of us here in Urbistadt who had to leave, willing to pay for good machine-fixer."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Pulpatoon »

Can Abstentious diagnose the problem with the bird? Does he realistically think he can fix it? What will take in the way of time and resources? Lastly, what would be a fair market price for such a job?

Abstentious extends a grubby, behangnailed hand. "Pleezed to meetcha. Abestentious Device, Contraptionists Guild, Journeyman #8123/g. That's a fine bit of machinery you've got, here. Delicate. I'll need to take it back to the workshop." He roots around in his tool box and digs up a bundle of screws wrapped in paper. He dumps the screws on the floor and writes on the paper with a stub of pencil. "Here's your claim ticket. Address onna bottom."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

skittishly wakes in his stupor."Address on a bottom. I got that!", he drops his pants to reveal hairy butt cheeks and a tattoo of some palm tree decorated desert island with a grass skirted babe announcing 'wish you were here!". He groggily sits up and waves his hook hand. The skeletal 'mage hand' appears once again to grab him by the scruff of his collar and pull him upright in the chair and it slaps him across the face several times to wake him to a semi-conscious state.

"Sorry friends have I been rude again?" he says to the green skinned Abstentious and the pale skinned Molly."Abs, did I ever thank you for tinkering up my hook hand? They say I axed it off myself but I can't remember? Molly! So fragrant as ever" he smiles and looks down at his own jaundiced yellow skin and burps loudly.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Urson »

Molly

The young thief's eyes lock on the mechanical bird- she's clearly calculating thge value of such a trinket, and the value of the materials. The coin in her hand never ceases moving- walking across her knuckles, appearing between this pair of fingers, then that, dropping from her fist when she coughs into it...
She only falters when she sees the big warrior enter- and then begins again when she reads the clan tattoo on his forearm.

Wizard's coin purses are the very devilment- That's where I got this scar on my wrist. I thought it was just an illusion until the blood started flowing. Besides, it'd be a bit rude to steal from an associate, wouldn't it? She grins a devilish grin, clearly not ashamed to steal from stranger, friend, or family.

Wiglaf
Scout
Scout

#12 Post by Wiglaf »

Payterish Dressed in clothing that is a bit more scruffy then not Payterish makes his way though the crowd. A heavy and stained leather hat with a wide brim rests atop his tussled blond hair. His shoulders are covered by the thick canvas of a tan watch-coat that reaches down towards his knees. A green canvas sack hangs by a strap from his left shoulder while the right one supports a sturdy looking wood and metal pole that is capped by a leather cup. Oil-cloth is wrapped around a strange mechanism that occupies a spot two thirds of the way down the wood and metal pole. Those who are familiar with strange devices would know it as a blaster-pike.

At his belt, under the long watch-coat, can be seen the unadorned hilt of a longsword, and close to that is a strange thin sheath which contains a blade that appears to be a cross between a very thin dagger and a short sword, but the visible hilt lacks anything which looks like a normal handle. Judging by the haversack straps which crisscross his chest over his green tunic it would seem that he has more pouches and bundles hidden by the drape of his coat. The brown trousers and sturdy boots are stained with the dust of walking the streets of the city in all kinds of weather.

Steel blue eyes scan the room, seeming to seek out each entrance, exit, and source of flame. Then they alight upon a small gathering in the corner. Carefully side-stepping the dance floor Payterish moves through the room as might a man with a mission. He smiles towards the women, goblin, and the old whaler. "I thought I'd find you here." The baritone sounds are pitched to be audible to those gathered at the table, but few others.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Pulpatoon »

Abstentious Device's eyes dart nervously from the trembling mass of the Shy Woman to the disreputable antics of Ambergris to the imposing approach of Payterish. "Guys!" he hisses out of the side of his mouth, "Don't are-scay the ustomer-cay!"

To the Shy Woman, he says, "Colorful locals, hah? Now, you were about t'say ex-zactly what the par'meters of the bird's functions were?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

The whaler has few possesions. One being a spear made from a thick slightly curved whalebone. To concentrate his mind he carves images, distant memories, fearful visions into the scrimshaw shaft. He winnows away chipping flakes of bone onto the dance floor.

"Trouble brewing in the streets Payterish? Sure as night follows day. Do we run from the storm though or run to it? I always favoured being close hauled to the wind,
one against the elements, a ship cannot run broad reach forever."

The warlock always has this dour feeling of impending doom, even on the brightest sunny carefree day. He holds the scrimshaw in his hook and chips away as his cantrip summoned mage hand attempts a 'sleight of hand', enough to make Molly proud, lifting a tankard of unwatched ale from the table next door and depositing it in front of the newcomer warrior.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Mister-Kent »

Payterish:
As you make your way through the crowd, you overhear men arguing about the state of Urbistadt. They say something about the Prince of Urbistadt making an address today, and diplomats from the Old Capital coming to town. There’s a long-standing rumor that the Royal Remnant—the considerably small faction that remains of the old Quest Kingdom—is making the rounds to all the city-states, offering a new union. This wouldn’t sit well with the independent-minded citizens of Urbistadt.

In the past, some of your fellow blaster-pikers on the guard believed that if Urbistadt ever folded back into the Royal Remnant, there would be open rebellion. Luckily, such a thing is still only hypothetical, for now.

Abstentious:
The metal bird seems to have a loose winding mechanism—clock parts may be substituted, if small enough—perhaps parts such as those of a cuckoo clock would suffice? Prices as defined by Contraptionists: a small but obscure toy like this could be bought for 100 gold brand new, so a repair would most likely be worth 75 gold (if one were being honest, of course).

The shy woman doesn’t seem too off-put by Ambergris’ eccentricities nor Payterish’s steely presence. She happily introduces herself to the table as Oxana, a refugee from the harsh regime in Robokov, far east across the sea. She says there are several older folks like her in Urbistadt who owned these animated trinkets before they were banned by the Clockwork Czars.

Oxana slides the claim ticket into the bosom of her blouse for safe-keeping. “Bird plays beautiful lullaby,” she explains. “Maybe silly, yes, but it mean lots to me.”

Molly and Ambergris:
A young serving-woman arrives at the table, just missing Ambergris’ “levitating tankard” trick. Or perhaps she did see it, and pretends not to notice. She carries a small platter of freshly baked sweet buns.

“Here are your buns, dears!” the waitress says helpfully, and sets the tray down before you, even though to your knowledge no one had ordered anything to eat yet. There are eight buns, and one is subtly marked with a letter M indented in the dough. Before walking off, the waitress turns the tray so the M bun is on Molly’s side of the table.

“Enjoy!” the cheery waitress says before walking away.

Wiglaf
Scout
Scout

#16 Post by Wiglaf »

Payterish

As the shy woman introduces herself the long coated ex-soldier gently removed his hat and places it over his heart. "Payterish Rolle, at your service Miss Oxana." He offers her a slight smile. It is the best he can do given the troubles which burden his heart.

A brewing rebellion, or at least the chance of one, wasn't a thing a blast-piker took lightly. Even a former one could expect to be quickly pressed back into service when the fifes blew and the drums started beating. It was a poor piker indeed who was called to service to put down his neighbors. Yet, was it a duty he was willing to perform?

He knew that up in the palaces 'great men' would be making choices that would effect every man, woman, and child within these walls. He had no love for the nobles who would define the city's future, yet his love for his home was enough that he knew he would answer her call for aid no matter which voice raised it. Loyalty had its' rewards, and its' price.

Trying to put such thoughts from his mind the blonde man pulled a chair out from the table and gestured towards their guest. "It isn't silly to value a memory of home. Perhaps you'd care to sit, Miss, and tell us about Robokov? Why such a thing as your bird would be banned, for example?"

As the buns are delivered Payterish smiles at the waitress, "Thank you." Then grins at Molly, completely oblivious to any implication of subtext involving the buns. "Feeling hungry Molly?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Pulpatoon »

Abstentious makes a show of scrutinizing the bird, tapping it with his stub of pencil to make little chiming sounds. "Bee-yoo-tiful work, what we used to see come out of Robokov. S'a shame when politics get inna way of art, hah? Precise and rugged... at least until they break, and then they're a bear to get back in order.

"Ahhhh, so, I can get it up and running with acceptable replacement parts for 100 gold. Have it back to you tooo-morrow But for an heirloom piece like this, I'd recommend th' deluxe treatment. I'll machine new parts to the exact specifications of the original. It'll take longer—'bout a week—and 's more expensive, but it'll keep the bird running for another generation, I'm sure. Say, 150 gold?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Urson »

Molly

Molly hides a smile, listening to Abs laying on the moonshine about repairing the bird.

When the sweet rolls arrive, she takes the one clearly intended for her.Sweet rolls and older men- I know they're no good for me, but I just can't leave them alone. She giggles as she tears into the roll- carefully, as there is probably something inside.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

the scraggy whaler has that feeling of doom, ... doom for Molly at the hands of the dread bakers of Foundry Square! he swipes his hook hand to nail the bun Molly is nibbling to the table, offering his apologises and own half eaten bun to his girl friend, (not girlfriend, just a friend who happens to be a girl), .

"Might be an M for Molly or turn it this way and see, it is a W for Willy the Rat. Let us see what happens when a rodent nibbles these crumbs."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Mister-Kent »

Payterish:
Oxana grins, and then squiggles into a chair next between you and Ambergris. The plump woman folds her arms in front of her. “Robokov is beautiful place in east. Beautiful tall grasses!” She waves her arms, dreamily remembering her homeland. “Long ago, a man brought the machine over from the desert, he teach our peoples to make machine too!”

“They all simple machine at first, like my Nuchka here,” she coos and pets her clockwork bird.“Later, they made better machine, some way. When the one machine declare himself a Czar, he could not be defeated. He hate these simple machine, calling them ‘toy’. He also chased many peoples away, like my family, and many of families living now in Urbistadt, in Little Robokovya district.”

Abstentious:
Oxana narrows her eyes and leans in, her round face framed on all sides by black braids. “One-fifty, eh? For the whole works?” She scratches her knobby chin, then rifles through her purse, producing a bag of coins. “Is good!” she cheers. “But I can give half now and half when I pick up. Deal?”

“With Nuckha fixed, I will be able to pass on to my only child, sweet Nasthaltia. She will be pleased I found such a handsome green tinker!” She pats your arm as she hands you 75 gold.

Molly and Ambrgris:
As Oxana reminisces, Molly attempts to tear into the bun marked M, while the wild whaler snags the bun with his hook. From the tear in the bread, a delicate paper scroll rolls out of the pastry's center. Unfurled, it reveals a tiny message scrawled thereupon.

“Prosperity grows
In the Garden behind the Queen
Meet me at sunset
To see what I mean”

Return to “RANDUNSAN! 5E Pulp Sandbox”