A Favor for Captain Loris

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

A Favor for Captain Loris

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

For one reason or another you have all found yourselves in the city of Port Brax, the most successful and some would say most corrupt cities in the Midlands. Most anything can be bought or sold in one of its markets. As such, you have come to the city to seek employment for yourselves to refill your rapidly depleting coin purses. But for all you have heard of Port Brax, prospects have been slim. Merchants look for experienced men to guard their caravans or their warehouses. Adventuring groups want seasoned people to join their teams. Ships are always looking for sailors however the risks far outweigh the profits. The guard is always looking for men to join however there is no freedom there.

You've been staying at the Masked Lord, a decent enough watering hole and place to rest your head but soon you will be drinking from rain barrels and sleeping in the gutters if you do not come up with a way to bolster your coin purse. As you sit at a table discussing your prospects, a woman walks in. She is garbed in the colors of the city guard, and the way she carries herself indicates she has been in the guard for quite some time and the lines on her face agree. I'm seeking a group of individuals to conduct a scouting run to Skegg End.

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

Re: A Favor for Captain Loris

#2 Post by hammerHead »

Hradian, not the sharpest pencil, makes a note of the city guard colors, waits to be sure someone else will reply to the woman's request, and then orders another drink.
Rules:
Midlands: https://lowfantasygaming.files.wordpres ... -10-16.pdf
Shroom: https://mega.nz/#!uSBHWIJD!vxDZlE_dOoua ... N1vbDqqu1E

Hradian the Rogue: The Midlands [LFG]
Ritbert the Bold: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sulldawga »

Telemachus rises and gives the woman a short bow.

Perhaps you could join us and share a little more information about this expedition? Starting with, why isn't the Guard doing the scouting for itself?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Loch

"I have worked as a scout before. Any more details? Pay?"

Wiglaf
Scout
Scout

#5 Post by Wiglaf »

Vicente With a great effort Vicente attempts to hide his sour thoughts at how low he must have fallen to be in his current state. Nearly penniless and far away from his beloved Mountain is a situation few Karok's wish upon others, even their rivals. Why was he here? The why is both easy and difficult. On the surface he is here because of family. It takes only a glance towards Wharram to confirm this thought. A man will endure much for blood, yet the other deprivations are harder to explain.

Placing such thoughts behind him he ensures his posture is straight then takes a single sip from his cup of bitter beer. His voice is a measured and slow baritone, as if the speaker is used to others hanging upon his every word. "The answer to your question, my friend, is self evident." Instead of elaborating further Vicente turns his head to pierce the woman with his eyes. "Please, join us. We are what you seek."

The earthenware cup is set down upon the table and the white haired man stands smoothly. One porcelain hand gestures towards an empty chair while the other rests pail fingers upon his chest. "Vicente Teglia, of Dol Karok, at your service Miss."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by shaidar »

Wharram

Glumly nursing his ale, Wharram considers the situation he is in. Perhaps he should have been more tactful talking to his father, who had intercepted him after another night of carousing. He had made it clear that Wharram needed to find a job and not bring more shame to the family name. The ensuing argument ended with him being disowned and thrown out by his father, destitute in his own city! However, he will not go crawling back to his father, he will show his family what he was capable of...

His thoughts are disturbed by the arrived of the guard, he looks up and waits for the answers to questions already asked.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ybn1197 »

Loris smirks and walks over to the table, stopping behind the offered chair. She places her helmet on the table to the right of the chair and the sits down. The guard is unavailable to attend to this due to increased raiding in the Outlands by Thuel barbarians. She makes a sidelong look at Loch. No offense meant of course. She returns her gaze to the group of you. A number of farmers in and around Skegg End have become very sick in the last few months and the number of vermin in the fields has greatly increased. Those farmers provide crops and livestock to the city. Without their good health, the supply of food will become greatly impacted. We need this resolved before it becomes an issue. I'm willing to pay you each 7 gold a day and another 100 gold for all once you figure out why they are getting sick and find a way to cure them.

((Standard mercenary pay per person is 5 gold per day.))

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

Wharram's eyebrows raise at the payment offered.

"What kind of illness has befallen the farmers?" he asks the guard.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ybn1197 »

Loris looks at Wharram. If I knew that, I would not need someone to go out there and find out now would I?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

Wharram blushes, but keeps eye contact with the guard "I was just wondering how dangerous this mystery illness is, that's all"

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ybn1197 »

Of that we do not know. We have not received any reports of deaths among the farmers but we just don't know.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Loch

"Sounds fair enough to me, does anyone have any objections to taking the job?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by shaidar »

Wharram

Wharram shakes his head, "Not from me"

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by hammerHead »

Nor I, adds Hradian in a thin whisper...
Rules:

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by sulldawga »

Telemachus

I am game.

Thulsa-Doom
Runner
Runner

#16 Post by Thulsa-Doom »

Magnus

Magnus finally responds after hearing enough information to satisfy his curiosity. " Though I am not a master by any stretch of the imagination, I do have some minor skill as an apothecary. Perhaps my meager skills can be of assistance."
Last edited by Thulsa-Doom on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Urson »

Albertus

The Bard is a bit cranky- he's been reduced to busking in the marketplace for coppers. Ya, mon! A trip an' a few days hones' work is always a good t'ing! Too bad fo' me, I hates hones' work! But, me, I go wit' you! Adventure is always welcome!

He slips his guitar into his lap, and begins picking out something that sounds vaguely military, with a strong marching beat.

Sorry for the awful Jamaican accent! Best I can do... :lol:
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Wiglaf
Scout
Scout

#18 Post by Wiglaf »

Vicente

While listening to each of his companions assert their agreement to the offered task Vicente smiles. "It would seem we have an accord." He stands and offers Loris his hand from across the table. "You may count upon me as well. This sounds like a good stretch of the legs."

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by hammerHead »

Urson wrote:Albertus

The Bard is a bit cranky- he's been reduced to busking in the marketplace for coppers. Ya, mon! A trip an' a few days hones' work is always a good t'ing! Too bad fo' me, I hates hones' work! But, me, I go wit' you! Adventure is always welcome!

He slips his guitar into his lap, and begins picking out something that sounds vaguely military, with a strong marching beat.

Sorry for the awful Jamaican accent! Best I can do... :lol:
Hradian, grooving to the bard's military guitar beat thinks about picking the guard woman's pocket but orders another drink instead (one for the road!). :geek:
Rules:

Thulsa-Doom
Runner
Runner

#20 Post by Thulsa-Doom »

Urson wrote:Albertus
Magnus smiles at Albertus as he recalls the tune from their days in the militia together.

Return to “The Midlands [LFG]”