Part 1: Eastdale

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Part 1: Eastdale

#1 Post by badams30 »

Eastdale - Town Gates

After a relatively uneventful trek, you've all arrived mid-day at the stockade-surrounded town of Eastdale, it's double gates flanked by two stone towers with wooden roofed observation posts above each. Each tower is emblazoned with the symbol of St. Ygg - a large red cross.

Your party consists of:
Beren - handsome and self-assured human Paladin of Ygg, along with his unlikely friend...
Jared - a disheveled yet sturdy archer
Gunter - a stern looking Cleric of Crom
Ric - an oddly attired, slightly eccentric Druid
Xue - a quiet and humble monk
Tyururist - a strong half elven ranger and his equally unlikely partner...
Nuruk - a gruff and imposing Half Orc warrior with a battleaxe

You've journeyed to the town at the edge of the Forbidden Zone, hearing of the opportunities for adventure, the chance to strike a blow against the forces of evil, or to just plain make a few coins and a better life for yourself. You find yourself staring at the open double gates of Eastdale, and after a brief pause, Beren motions everyone to come along, and you enter the gates, finding yourself in a busy frontier town, with locals moving about doing their daily business inside the fortified walls. (see the map of Eastdale under the "Towns and Settlements of Middenmark" thread) A couple structures catch your eye - a large domed structure to your left (number 5) and a large temple to your right (number 4 - obviously a temple to St Ygg, given the number of red crosses on or around it) the rest of the town seems unremarkable.

As you pause in the gateway, you are interrupted by a gruff "Hey there. Welcome to Eastdale." The source of the voice is to your right - a middle-aged human with a well-groomed graying beard, clad in well-worn leather armor with a jerkin bearing the symbol of a shield flanked by a rearing moose, a rearing Unicorn, and a crown atop the shield - with a beaver and fish inside the crown, and with the shield bearing a large red cross - the crest of Eastdale. The man nods and says in the same routine tone "Welcome to Eastdale." He motions toward the town center with a sweeping gesture and a friendly if not bored grin.

Actions?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Part 1: Eastdale

#2 Post by Zhym »

"Thank you for the kind welcome!" booms Beren in a cheerful baritone. "Isn't it a beautiful day? It's the kind of day that makes you want to go out and punch evil right on the chin!" He beams an infectious smile full of improbably white teeth at the bored welcoming committee of one.

"Come, my brave compatriots! Let us visit the temple! There we shall find out where derring needs doing!"

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Bloodaxe »

Jared the peasant archer

Jared steps up behind Beren, scratching absently at his armpit.
Eh , my Lord Beren, dont forget me. Im coming too.

He picks a small piece of lint off Beren's cloak and then stands around looking at the Paladin as to what to do next.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by tumblingdice »

Nuruk Nosebreaker - half-orc fighter

Nuruk makes no attempt to hide his laughter at Beren and Jared's routine. Composing himself somewhat, he turns his attention to the fellow addressing them.

Yeah, yeah. Which way to the tavern, old man? I'm parched, and this whistle ain't gonna wet itself.

He hazards a dubious glance at Tyururist.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by connivingsumo »

Xue: Monk

Xue Heping faces the man addressing him and bows slightly. He then follows the rest of the party he is travelling with.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by spanningtree »

Gunter

nodding at the gent talking to the group: Well met, can you point me to the temple of Crom?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by badams30 »

The bored guard smiles politely at Beren as he expresses his desire to knock out evil, and he points toward what is obviously the temple of Ygg and says "Sir, the Red Temple is over there (Bldg 4 on the Eastdale map) You'll find what you seek there - but it's usually busy."

He starts to answer Gunter and pauses momentarily as he spots Ric's odd robe, then he continues "No shrine to Crom here, I'm afraid. He's quite revered in these parts, but no shrine."

The guards scowls at Nuruk's "old man" comment, but he nods toward building 1 on the map and says "There's the Saucy Tart. But we've got the Red Laws in these parts, so if you plan on wettin' your whistle, you'll only have a limited time to do so."

He politely waves you to continue as a couple small ox carts come up behind you to gain entry.

So where to? Are you all going to the same place, or different?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by spanningtree »

Gunter - Cleric of Crom

No temple to Crom... eh? Hmm, work to be done here I see. Walking to Nuruk: Let's check this Saucy Tart.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Bloodaxe »

Jared the peasant archer

Jared looks about in wonder.

This'a much bigger village then my ol' home. They gots' grand tall walls here an' all. We never had no walls. Even have a fancy guard man to greet ya here. I think Im gonna like this place. Where to first, Lord Beren? The temple? I know you to be a pious man.

He looks in his meager coin purse with only 40 coppers and shakes his head.
Last edited by Bloodaxe on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

"Yes, my good lad!" booms Beren. "To the temple!"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by greyarea »

Tyururist nods to Nuruk, Yes, to the Temple of the Saucy Tart, we will quaff ale 'til we see the gods!

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by greyarea »

Ric says, I need no temple so long as there are trees. I say we go to this tavern to find news. Woo!

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by tumblingdice »

"Now you're talkin'" Nuruk says, seeing the support for his plan materialize. Turning to Beren and Jared, he says in a mock, high pitched nagging voice, "Don't be too long at the temple, now. We have work to do."

With that he sets off for the Saucy Tart. "Hey! Watch where I'm goin', would ya!?" he'll inevitably say to someone who nearly bumps into him on the way.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by badams30 »

The group splits - each heading to their own version of spiritual nirvana.

Beren and his friend Jared head to the Red Temple, and the rest of the party head toward the Saucy Tart.

The group heading to the Saucy Tart crosses the busy marketplace (marked 11 on the map) and it's assortment of portable kiosks with various things for sale, and aside from the hubub, they notice a large sundial on a raised dias, and a ten foot high rectangular monolith. On one side of the monolith are seven cutouts, and on the other side are 12 cutouts. A single white stone is setting in a cutout on each side of the monolith. Xue (INT CHECK) seems to recall seeing something like this before - it's a calendar of sorts. One side reflects days of the week, the other side is months of the year.

There is also a small wooden stage with a roughly hewn podium on it. The stage is unoccupied at this time except for several commoners sitting on the edge of it eating some lunch.

The group approaches the tavern, identified with a simple sign above the door identifying this establishment as "The Saucy Tart; Cravos Blackburn, proprietor" Pushing open the wide door, the interior of the tavern is fairly unremarkable, with a long bar spanning the entire west wall, with two doorways (one at each end of the bar) leading into what is presumably a kitchen. Two fireplaces are located on the north and south walls, a small fire smolders in each. The tavern has a small half-circle stage in the Northwest corner which is currently empty. There is a stairway in the southeast corner of the ground floor leading up. The tavern has numerous tables of various sizes (round, rectangular, square) with plenty of chairs and benches to go around. It looks like this place could seat 100 on a good night. Right now, however, there are only about 10 normal looking folks - farmers and laborers by the look of them, sitting at the bar, eating some good smelling food.

As you take in the sights of the tavern, a well-dressed human of about 45 years of age, clad in an apron and a colorful vest is stacking some tankards behind the counter. He smiles and says "Welcome! Come on in, take a seat!" An attractive young woman with long dark red hair, clad in a barmaid's apron, approaches and with a grin says "Welcome to the Tart, take a seat, what can I get you all? Cravos recommends the trout or the pot roast with veggies. It'll stick to your ribs." She waits for you to take a seat and order... ACTIONS?

Beren and Jared make their way to the temple. They can hear somber music playing as they approach. A young priest stands blocking the doorway, and as you both come closer he bows politely, pausing to recognize Beren and says "Welcome, brother. I regret to inform you that the temple is currently closed for a funeral. Is there something that I can assist you with? If not, the temple will be open tomorrow morning as normal." He patiently waits in case you have questions. ACTIONS?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

Beren signals to Jared that he can join the others at the tavern. Before he goes to join him, Beren engages the priest in conversation. "Are closed funerals common here, brother—what is your name, brother?" he asks. "Who was the deceased?"

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Bloodaxe »

Jared the peasant archer

Jared looks about sheepishly and wanders away from Beren, but staying within sight, mumbling....but giving Beren his privacy.

I'll just hang about a wee bit, my Lord......

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

"You're welcome to stay here with me, lad," says Beren kindly. "I thought you'd be eager to join the others in the tavern! But your spiritual devotion is commendable! I would be glad of your company until my business here is concluded!"
Last edited by Zhym on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Bloodaxe »

Jared the peasant archer

Well I am a bit short on coin, my lord, an I hear' things in these big towns are mighty dear. 'Ya never know when you might need me. Maybe there are some bad sorts hangin' about. Faithful Jared can watch your back.

Jared looks about for any "bad sorts".

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by connivingsumo »

Xue: Monk

The Monk observes the interactions and decisions of his travelling companions, and then follows the 'Holy' to their temples where he will learn something, and quietly observe.

Xue will offer a donation of five silver coins if an offering box is available, or if an offering plate makes the rounds.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by greyarea »

Tyururist offers a donation of the appropriate amount for some mead and the roast. He asks the tavernmaster for to hear his confession and the barmaid for a laying on of hands. He likes this temple after all.

Return to “The Forbidden Caverns of Archaia (LL AEC)”