Pilgrimage to the White Tower

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Pilgrimage to the White Tower

#1 Post by Marullus »

The doors of the White Tower itself is answered by an amiable cleric. He welcomes all those who wish to undertake a pilgrimage to this Holy Site of Baudh to seek both pennance and healing of ills by Baudh's holy might.

He explains it is customary that gold must be offered as a gift to Baudh. "10 pieces is customary to be pleasing in his eyes."

If you undertake this pilgimage, please mark that you pay at least 10gp, then follow each of the prompts below.

Once admitted to the tower, you enter the ground floor. This plain stone room has a door leading upwards to the floor above (currently locked) and a sloping ramp leading downward into the earth and stone below. Otherwise, the far-side of the room is filled by A white marble Statue of Lord Commander Bremen sitting in a large chair which is adorned with Bhaudic symbols.

You descend the ramp and are led into a passage on the right, and to a door with a lever. You are allowed to try and open the door as a Test of Strength. "Baudh blesses most those who are strong in his eyes," the priests explain. If you struggle, they look on you pityingly and open the door for you.

There is then a long hallway, which ends at an open door and a chamber beyond. On the left side is a low entryway through which you must crawl. "Prepare yourself here, for the chamber beyond is imbued with the voice of Baudh himself. This holy place is designed to force you to face your sins before Baudh. Do not flinch before his justice and beg for his mercy, then you shall reach the famed fountain of absolution," the priest explains again. He then stands aside and lets you proceed at your own pace.

As they approach the low tunnel, the priest reminds all pilgrims that this is where the Lord Commander used his own body to shield his companions as they were assailed by monsters and the undead. Our good Lord Commander barely survived the experience, only to later be betrayed by his brother-in-arms, Stancel, upon their return to Gaul. Stancel, the Marked One, wanting to steal the glory of recovering the Golden Sun of Baudh, which now hangs proudly in the Temple in Gaul. The cleric then hints at the source of Markd's scars, as revealed by the Voice in this very tunnel, While still in the south, Stancel killed the clerics at a trial of his younger brother.

The voice loudly proclaims your greatest sins. The ceiling is low and you need to crawl in on hands and knees over a rough floor with sharp stones. Write what it says and roleplay how your character responds. When you beg forgiveness, the gate opens to let you exit to the room beyond.

Once you reach the room of absolution, your hands and knees probably with some light abrasion, there is a fountain bubbling with sparkling clear water.

If you drink from the fountain, you are incapacitated for eight hours by wracking visions of everything you've ever done wrong in your life. However, when you wake you are completely healed.
This may include certain diseases and afflictions, which should be discussed with the GM. Whether you drink or not, you may depart through the door on the far side of the room. Roleplay your actions in this room in your post.

Once you exit the door into the hallway, you find an acolyte waiting patiently for you once more. They either lead you to the tower exit, or they lead you to the chapel to attend religious service. If you need a place to stay, those who attend the pilgrimage are allowed to rest in a large barracks across the hall from the chapel for the night.

Describe your final actions. If you wish to talk to the clerics, you may also roleplay that here, afterwards.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pilgrimage to the White Tower

#2 Post by Karaunios »

Anforthas

The mercenary approaches the building,and pays the ten gold asked for access into the temple. He then says: "I only wanted to present my respects to Baudh, as I'm not in need of healing at the moment." He looks for a moment at the temple façade, and adds "It's been several weeks I left home and it astonishes me how this building is so similar to those in my homeland. Are there any Khallorrim here?" The strict soldier keeps a straight posture, almost as if he were at attention when his captain is inspecting the troops.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

19 September 2021 (Three days before the festival)

Skipping the Fountain of Absolution and its attendant rituals, Anforthas goes down into the lower church chambers and attends service, where the other pilgrims meet him after their pilgrimage ends. He notes the murals in the main chapel denote mounted khollorim-style knights on horseback. In a smaller prayer chamber not far away, he sees a progress of mural images which he recognizes as the traditional "hero's journey" of khallorim legend.

"Oh! Indeed... they are no more, of course, but their honored dead remain entombed and we respect their writings and memoirs. So few can read them, as... well..." he trails off, leaving out any typical conceits of the southlanders towards their foreign Khallorim neighbors. "Do you seek employ as a squire, perhaps? Though he is busy with festival preperations, I can call the Lord Commander to give you audience..."

Turning this over with that to Bremen. :)

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Karaunios »

Anforthas marvels at the murals and the stories they tell about the past of his own people. When the priest tells him about the books, he slightly starts: "Why, I'm myself Khalorrim! Although not a scholar, I could lend a hand with those... unreadable books." A faint smile crosses his face as he says it. Then, he continues: "I didn't know you were in seek of new squires. I fought as a mercenary in my homeland for several years, but I'm tired of working for just for the gold... The prospect of serving Baudh and his temple, this piece of my home... is tempting to say the least." He looks around, again observing the murals and decorations of the temple. "Yes, I would gladly talk with the Lord Commander in hopes he will deem me worthy of becoming one." He bows slightly.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hearing of the Khalorrim selling employment, The Lord Commander Bremen sends a formal invitation for Anforthas to join him in hisprivate dining room.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - The White Tower”