Chapter 1: Expedition to the Barrow Moor

drpete
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: Expedition to the Barrow Moor

#101 Post by drpete »

Wick enters the room, sling in hand.

Betdas turns to discuss strategy with the others.

BOOM!

A stone wall slams shut, sealing the doorway, cutting Wick off from the others!

Wick is plunged into complete darkness. He hears a bang ahead of him. It sounds like the north door opening.

Actions??

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

Sledgehammer time. What set a trap off? Should we have noticed a sliding wall. Too late to discuss, the elf will swing the hammer as hard he can to bash through or loosen the hinges on the blocking wall.

A case of making noise to rescue Wick or keeping silent over his sacrifice. Can we him him beyond the wall?

snake_hunter
Strider
Strider

#104 Post by snake_hunter »

Fane will try to stop Carling from swinging the hammer.

Give me ten seconds to look for a switch, maybe we can get him out of there more quietly! If I don't find anything, we'll have to risk using the hammer he whispers.

If he's not in time to prevent Carling from smashing the door Fane will cover the corridor with his crossbow as the others work on the door.

Blueholme has 10-second rounds, correct? I don't want Fane to hold up the rescue efforts longer than a round unless he finds something that could shorten the time to clear the door. Did the door drop from the ceiling, or did it slide across?

leafcutter
Strider
Strider

#105 Post by leafcutter »

Theglid

Theglid will use that time to search for what could have triggered that door. Using the torchlight, he scans the area for any switches, tripwires, plates, etc.

Fingolwyn
Tracker
Tracker

#106 Post by Fingolwyn »

Lhainor

Lhainor will move to the back of the party near where Carling was (but in the north-south hall with everyone else, not in the intersection), stand (sword in hand, shield forward) with his back against the east wall, and listen/wait to ambush anything coming down the hall from the east (where all the other doors are). Hopefully I will surprise them (should anything actually appear).
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by drpete »

Round 1

First to react among the party members, Carling begins to move north toward the door with his sledgehammer. He will reach it next round. Note: it was not clear to me if Carling had his bow in hand or his hammer. Since you couldn't see down the hallway, I went with hammer.

Fane sees Carling coming, and tries to convince him to give the others a chance to find a switch. Fane looks, but in 10 seconds isn't able to find anything.

Theglid and Betdas have different ideas about how to help. Betdas tries to get his fingers under the wall to pull it back up with force, while Theglid scans for some sort of mechanism to open the door. Both are unsuccessful.

Lhainor moves south to guard the party's rear while everyone else is focused on the door. For the moment, there is no sign of trouble from the south.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by thirdkingdom »

Betdas the Bold

"Shit," Betdas exclaims again, unhelpfully, "maybe if we all try and lift? There's nothing like a little brute force and ignorance, in my book."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

"Does anyone hear anything of Wick? Wick we are coming." brute force and ignorance equates to using the hammer.

My concern was a second portal opening beyond. Wasn't there another door? So maybe something entered to grab Wick? If we smack the wall down though do we just give whatever the opening to grab us?

Preferring the idea that 'no one gets left behind' over keeping silent, Carling hits the wall.

Fingolwyn
Tracker
Tracker

#110 Post by Fingolwyn »

Spearmint wrote:Carling

"Does anyone hear anything of Wick? Wick we are coming." brute force and ignorance equates to using the hammer.

My concern was a second portal opening beyond. Wasn't there another door? So maybe something entered to grab Wick? If we smack the wall down though do we just give whatever the opening to grab us?

Preferring the idea that 'no one gets left behind' over keeping silent, Carling hits the wall.
Lhainor

"I heard Wick scream once from inside the room."

Lhainor continues to listen and guard the rear.
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by drpete »

Round 2

Fane and Theglid continue to search for a way through the wall, while Betdas tries to convince them to try to lift it.

Carling rushes north to the wall, and slams it with his sledgehammer. CLANG!

Suddenly, Fane discovers a loose stone on the ground, under which he finds a lever!

Moving the lever causes the stone slab to slide open. The small, lifeless body of Wick is revealed on the other side. He is covered with multiple sword wounds!

Standing over him, you see seven skeletal warriors, their swords slick with blood. As the wall opens up, they seem to look at you with their dead eyes, open their mouths in soundless screams, then raise their swords to attack!

Sadly, Wick was the first to die, alone in the dark, killed by this horde of undead. Will any of you join him? Everyone but Lhainor is in melee range.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by thirdkingdom »

Betdas the Bold

"Close it!" the doughty warrior shouts, motioning for Fane to undo whatever he did, raising his blade to meet the advance of the skeletal warriors!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

"We should more than match them, stand abreast with me in this corridor."

Carling to hit melee [1d20] = 7 damage [1d6] = 2

Clearly more used to the finesse of a sword not the brute swing of the sledgehammer.
Last edited by Spearmint on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by drpete »

A note on positioning...

Carling is wielding a heavy weapon (the sledgehammer) and just attacked the wall, so he will need to wait a round to attack again.

Fane is effectively prone, having been working a lever under a hiden stone on the ground. He can try to move it again, but the skeletons will be at +2 to hit unless he makes a Dex roll. He can alternatively try a Dex roll to stand up if left alone. While being attacked, he cannot try to stand without giving them +2 to hit. Penalty for being on the ground is being last in initiative order.

If you really want to roll your own dice, you can, but you need to do it with the dice roller, with your character selected, so it goes in the roll log. Otherwise, I'll roll for ya, it's no prob...

leafcutter
Strider
Strider

#115 Post by leafcutter »

Theglid

Theglid presents his holy symbol and says to the skeletons, In the name of St Ygg, I order you BACK!

(turn undead check, you can roll for me)

snake_hunter
Strider
Strider

#116 Post by snake_hunter »

Fane will attempt to close the door with the lever. He'll try to time it so that the door crushes some of the skeletons.
They're probably behind us, too!!!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by drpete »

Round Three

As Carling winds up for another swing, the skeletons attack!

A fast skeleton has identified Theglid as a threat. It attacks, but it is unable to phase the holy man. Another skeleton hammers on Carling (3 HP damage!). Carling is able to stop the blow from cutting him in half, but it almost knocks the elf from his feet!

Betdas attacks one of the skeletons with his spear. His blow causes it to collapse to the ground. Theglid completes his prayer, holding up the holy symbol of St Ygg.

Meanwhile, a skeleton is moving to attack Fane. It raises its sword over the prone thief, and...

Theglid's prayer is answered, in a sense, when Fane moves the lever back, again. The wall comes smashing down again.

BOOM!

The skeletons are somehow very aware of the wall, and manage not to be caught by it. Not so Betdas, whose spear is ripped from his hands and smashed by the dropping wall.

Only the skeleton fighting the stumbling Carling is left on this side of the wall!

Technical Details/Rolls
Dex 16: Carling cannot attack/large weapon.

Dex 13:
S vs Theglid:
Skeleton: [1d20] = 12[1d6] = 3 Miss! (+2 for doing something other than fighting, -1 for chain armor. 13 hits AC 6)

Dex 11:
S vs Carling:
Skeleton: [1d20] = 20[1d6] = 3
Carling tries to stay upright... Carling Dex check [1d20] = 16 success!

Dex 8:
S vs Fane:
Skeleton: [1d20] = 7[1d6] = 4 Miss!

Betdas vs Skeleton:
Betdas: [1d20] = 11[1d6] = 6 (Hit! +1 vs leather = 12, hits AC 7!) 6 damage kills it.

Theglid's turn attempt:
Theglid: [2d6] = 7 Should work, but doesnt, as turning 1 step/HD harder inside Barrowmaze.

Fane's dex roll to get switch moved in less that total round:
Fane Dex roll: [1d20] = 1 Success! Consider it happening at 1/2 dex, rather than at end of round.

Who gets slammed by the wall... do "dex check" saving throws...
Betdas ST: [1d20] = 9 Betdas fails dex check... call this losing his spear.

Skeletons ST: [1d20] = 5
Skeletons ST: [1d20] = 5[1d20] = 2
The skeletons near the front all made saves. Rule the one that hit and almost knocked down Carling is on this side, the ones that missed are on the other side.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by thirdkingdom »

Betdas the Bold

"Damn!" he exclaims, "my spear!" Pulling his dagger from his belt he attacks the remaining skeleton, careful not to step on the trigger.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

If Carling can do anything more than roll around hurt and whistling Dixie he will sledge with the hammer again ....

Carling to hit melee [1d20] = 2 damage [1d6] = 1

better off to keep whistling I think.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by drpete »

Note: technically, I went ahead without Lhainor's contribution. That said, he would be at the bottom of the initiative, so he can go first/twice (once at end of last round, one at beginning of this one) if he wants to get in this. Also, edited the post above to include the various rolls inside a spoiler for those interested.

Return to “Barrowmaze (Blueholme)”