Chapter 1: Expedition to the Barrow Moor

drpete
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: Expedition to the Barrow Moor

#21 Post by drpete »

The Nergal standing stone/shrine is about midway between the two barrows you've showed interest in. To the north about 150 feet is the barrow with a path (12) and a similar distance south is the barrow you first considered (10).

Am I understanding that you want to split the group into some going to break open #10, and some investigating #12. In that case, I need to know who is going where...

Fingolwyn
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by Fingolwyn »

"I'll put my sledge to work on that one" (gesturing towards Barrow #10) "once someone digs out the entrance," says Lhainor, heading to #10 if anyone else begins to move in that direction.
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by drpete »

It can sort of be seen in the map/picture, but some of the nearby barrows have open doors, like the one with the path leading to it, some have exposed, sealed doors, like 10, and others either have no visible/easily accessed door (9, for example). I think 10 was singled out as one with a door you could get at...?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by thirdkingdom »

Betdas the Bold

Betdas expands on his suggestion. "There are many barrows here," he says, "some are already open, whilst others must be excavated. No doubt loathsome beasts -- grave robbers, fell cravers of carrion, even the restless dead -- dwell in some. It will take hours, perhaps even days, to dig out the entrances to many of these burrows, and if we must break down stone doors the sound will likely ring across the moors, like a dinner bell! Those barrows that are sealed I propose we leave for the time being; it will be the labor of many hours to access them, and while they are shut we need not fear attacks from within! I therefore propose investigating each of the open barrows, to ensure no foul gribblies lurk within, waiting for us to summon them forth with the ringing of hammer on stone! Furthermore, I propose that one barrow be the logical starting point, for look! There is a clear path winding its way towards the gaping mouth! Surely it must be the most heavily used barrow, and the one we must fear the most!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

shrugs his shoulders, "I don't think we will find much where other folk have gone before us. Certainly not in the entrance catacombs, But be ye bold by name and nature Betdas, lets follow you inside the maw of 12 and trust it doesn't bite us in the arse."

no point disputing tactics and stuff, let us get stuck in then to a starting point and see where it goes. Carling suggests we scout in the following order Wick and Betdas up front, cleric Thglid and Lhainor behind and carling and Fane bringing up the rear. If Boldar follows he can be in the middle with some lit torches.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by drpete »

Boldar is not *enthusiastic* about going into a tomb, but he us less enthusiastic about being left behind.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by thirdkingdom »

drpete wrote:Boldar is not *enthusiastic* about going into a tomb, but he us less enthusiastic about being left behind.
Betdas the Bold

"Why don't you wait just before the entrance," the doughty warrior suggests to Boldar, "you can warn us if any dangers approach, and can flee within if needed, and we will let you know after a brief delve how long we think it will take." He also approves of the marching order suggested by Carling.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#28 Post by Piper »

Wick moves to the front of the group in wordless acquiescence.
Red 5, Standing ... Hey! Is That A Banana?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by drpete »

Date: June 1, 1:10 pm, Monday
Season: Early Summer
Weather: Warm, Misty
Moon phase: New Moon

After some discussion, the group heads over to the large central mound

The mound is encircled with standing stones. A large stone door rests face down, broken in two, in the long grass of the entranceway. The area is littered with skulls and bones. A foul smell emits from the interior of the mound. The space beyond the door is black as night.
Sound effects: (?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8eazdfRP30
Barrowmaze surface.jpg
Barrowmaze surface.jpg (235.08 KiB) Viewed 303 times
If you wish to enter, someone needs to light a light. Boldar is willing to come carry a torch and some of your stuff, if you want him to, or he will sit outside. He has no armor and just a dagger, so he's not going to fight much/well. As a retainer here to do a job he won't get xp, but if you treat him badly, almost or actually get him killed, etc, you'll have more trouble hiring other guys like him in the future. The job description for a guy like this is literally "torchbearer" or "packbearer".

leafcutter
Strider
Strider

#30 Post by leafcutter »

Theglid

I agree with Betdas. Boldar, hide yourself just inside this entrance. We'll enter the tomb, but will not go too far without coming back for you. I can carry the torch.

If we are proceeding, Theglid lights one of his torches, and holds his mace in the other hand. He is good with the suggested marching order.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by drpete »

Boldar is fine with this. He asks if you want him to hold anything, like the second sledgehammer, the spikes, or maybe the food and water...?

so far 2-0 for Boldar to stay up top, but figure you can think about that, as well.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#32 Post by Piper »

Wick agrees Boldar should stay “up top.”

Wick retrieves a second dagger from the pack and sticks it in his belt.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by drpete »

Wick has two equipment lists, one with a bow and 2 daggers, and one with a sling and one dagger... could you synchronize them, just so I can tell what's what? He has a dagger in hand and one in his belt at the moment, yes?

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#34 Post by Piper »

ooc: so he does ... sorry! I’ll fix that tonight. I can’t remember my login to the dice roller. He carries a sling, not a bow.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by drpete »

Theglid lights a torch, and the group descends into the darkness.

A short stone stairway descends into the space below the mound. You find that there is a large open space at the bottom of the stairs. The space is too large to be fully illuminated by your torch, but you see that the dusty ground is littered with bones. You can make out various tracks in the dust, most heading straight forward into the room.

Directly ahead, at the limits of your torchlight, there are four huge square stone pillars supporting the roof. In the center of these pillars you can dimly see a 6 foot high structure... a tripod.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by thirdkingdom »

drpete wrote:Theglid lights a torch, and the group descends into the darkness.

A short stone stairway descends into the space below the mound. You find that there is a large open space at the bottom of the stairs. The space is too large to be fully illuminated by your torch, but you see that the dusty ground is littered with bones. You can make out various tracks in the dust, most heading straight forward into the room.

Directly ahead, at the limits of your torchlight, there are four huge square stone pillars supporting the roof. In the center of these pillars you can dimly see a 6 foot high structure... a tripod.
Betdas the Bold

"Maybe a cooking fire," suggests Betdas, pointing at the tripod. "I say we check that out, then do a quick sweep of the room to make sure it's as empy as it looks."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

The elf nocks his shortbow with an arrow. "Maybe hang a couple of torches around the room so we have light to see by. No telling who or what hides in the darkness." he says scuffing his feet into the dusty tracks.

Booted prints or animal hoofs?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by drpete »

There are clear boot prints going in each direction, and others that are hard to identify... shuffling feet, or dragging something, maybe?

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#39 Post by Piper »

Wick takes a closer look at the “shuffling” prints. Can his thiefly senses distinguish between shuffling steps, dragging, and how many, etc.?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by drpete »

There are numerous tracks here, mostly along a track pointed toward the pillars about 30 feet into the room. Since they overlap, it's hard to tell exactly what is going on, but Wick can tell that some of the tracks are of boots, and at least some others are of shuffling feet, possibly barefoot. There are at least half a dozen overlapping sets of tracks.

Return to “Barrowmaze (Blueholme)”