Character Creation

drpete
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#41 Post by drpete »

Sure, you can be either. Amazon looks like it's mostly a role play choice, but Feline, with its improved move, Dex and natural weaponry would give a 10% penalty to xp.

As to what class to play, it's hard to say... on the one hand, the group has a cleric. On the other, it's a very undead heavy premise...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rex »

OK, I will go with Feline Cleric of Crom, set 1. If you want to do languages. I just roll once for HP, correct?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by drpete »

Alright, here goes...

A so-so hp roll:
Rex's cleric HP: [2d6k1] = 3

Languages: You get 5 points (Felines are notoriously isolationist, so they don't get a bonus to languages)
You get Feline by default.

You should totally take Common, for 1, and CG for 2, plus the Crom religious dialect, so this leaves you with only 1 language point to spend.

You can choose basic familiarity with other alignment languages, for 1 point, or...

Some basic Latin or basic Norse for 1 point, or basic Giant for 1 point,

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rex »

Great, will post my sheet. Only thing not done is background, I will finish it when I have some time latter.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by drpete »

Cool. Just to be clear on the encumbrance issue, I need to know where each object goes when it's not in your hands. Your stuff looks good, except that I'm not sure what you want for the torches. If they are "on the pack" but quickly accessible, they count as on the torso (available quickly, but exposed) which would I guess mean they're a bit jangly, and the mace, shield and torches would bump into each other and generally get tangled enough to slow you down some if they are all stored there.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rex »

I meant tied to the outside of the backpack, didn't mean for them to be quickly accessible and figured they wouldn't fit in it. I plan on carrying the shield and mace at the ready in my hands. If needed I will add a lit torch with the shield. Where missile weapons are a good idea I will sling the mace and go with the sling. Does this make sense? Much depends on where in the marching order I end up and 1, if I am needed as a light bearer and 2, as a close in fighter or ranged since I can fill any of these rolls.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by drpete »

Yeah, sounds good. Was just wanting to make sure we were on the same page with that... it's all good.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#48 Post by Lamech »

For class I was thinking Magic-User Cleric of Arcantryl.

For races I was thinking of a Nixie, Kobold, Angel (Minus immunities obviously), or a boring dwarf.

One thing I'm not 100% sure on: Casters need to be able to cast a spell before they actually make a spell scroll of it right?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by drpete »

Lamech,

I'm worried you'll back yourself into something unplayable trying to get some kind of uber "build"... I suggest you dial it back. That said...

A kobold is smaller than a halfling. It can wield only small weapons, has d4 for hp, and gets -1 in light. Nominally, they are lawful evil.

A *Nixie* is a water sprite that lures men to live with them under water. Is this about the charm person power? If it meant you couldnt heal naturally on land (you need to find a lake or something) would you still want this? Would you want it for an undead-themed megadungeon?

The angel there represents a high level angel. As a 1st level angel, you would basically be indistinguishable from a human, until you had "earned your wings" would you want that? Technically, if you die, your body would disappear as you are called away to a different assignment.

A mage cannot cast spells in metal armor. A cleric gets no spells at first level.

A magic user, yes, can only create a scroll of a spell he knows. He can only use scrolls he finds if he knows read magic.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by drpete »

Hrmmm... thinking about this again, trying to be open to new things, Holmes-style...

The kobold would probably end up moving slow... it would have pretty strong encumbrance penalties, like 2 "items" per slot. It would, however, get the dwarf trap sense. It could fight with small weapons or a shortsword. So I guess a small club for a cleric.

I have trouble understanding the Nixie as a lawful good mage/cleric delving into these catacombs, but you can try to convince me. The Nixie is mostly about water... to be clear, these are Nixies...

https://youtu.be/_dl2L4v6ecM

As an angel, you would *mostly* be a human. Maybe you could be like Nick Cage in City of Angels... fallen. Aware of the presence of angels & spirits, but cut off from them, mortal now.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#51 Post by Lamech »

Angel banished for horrible incompetence? Let's go with that. Probably accidentally set fire to the library or something. Can I still have wings?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by drpete »

How about wings that let you do feather fall if you are unencumbered, but in exchange, you cannot wear a backpack?

Their strength would improve with level...

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#53 Post by Lamech »

That seems really reasonable.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#54 Post by Lamech »

Okay let's see: let's just go with human Magic-User Cleric of Arcantryl. I decided to be boring. This is the rough outline:

If we take the second character stats
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 9
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 16
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 15
Gold: 70

Name: Glimmer
Background: Glimmer is quite possibly insane. When asked about his past the story almost always changes. Ranging from raised in a temple of Arcantryl as an orphan, to fallen angel banished for accidentally starting a fire in Heaven's library, to a cursed Kobold or Nixie. The only thing that's consistent is he's a cleric of Arcantryl, which of course includes training in magic spells of all types.
Personality: Glimmer seems to prefer spending his spare time preaching the word of Arcantryl, and he does so with varying degrees of accuracy, but he at least gets the general position of Lawful Good, pro-magic, pro-learning down.

Comments, suggestions, horrified wails?

Also: Should I roll for spells myself? I can at least choose the order right?
Oh and one question:
drpete wrote: A mage cannot cast spells in metal armor.
So the book definitely says magic-users can't cast in and armor or in contact with iron. Does this mean a mage can wear leather armor (and cast) in this game? Some other equipment related questions: Can mages use a shield? (Either wooden or bronze) And the classes are still restricted to only the weapons types listed? So a mage-cleric would be "blunt" weapons and daggers? And are slings still in?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by drpete »

Given that the cleric class has armor training, you can wear armor. You can only cast magic user spells if you are not in contact with iron (I'm gonna rule) so you can cast with leather or bronze armor if you have armor training from another class.

Shield would be the same, I guess.

Slings do exist, sure. They cost as per the rules, I just forgot to put them and javelins in the weapons list. Mage clerics can use weapons from either class, yep.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#56 Post by Lamech »

Hmm... obvious question: what's the campaign ID?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by drpete »

It's 608. I know I put that somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be at the top of any threads...

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#58 Post by Lamech »

Should I roll for spells myself, or just list the order to roll for them?

Edit: Also the dice roller is throwing a hissy-fit right now. I'm off to get IRL food.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by drpete »

Just give me the order. I'll roll it up real quick.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by drpete »

Spearmint, what deity does Moony worship...? Is it Cuthbert from Greyhawk? Heironeous? Are you planning on taking those things along on the adventure? Did you pay for them with starting funds? How much did you pay for all of these things (offering plate, rosary beads, etc)?

Were you looking for a "flail" when you said "chained mace"? As in, a weapon that has a metal ball on the end of a chain? You can have a heavy/2 handed one of those for 8 gp, or a 1 handed one for 6 gp.

Generally speaking, if you're going to carry that stuff around, we need to account for it, both in terms of money and in terms of encumbrance.

Return to “Barrowmaze (Blueholme)”