OOC Discussion

drpete
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#61 Post by Rex »

I don't really care how you decide to deal with the sling, all D&D based rules are built around having fun, not being accurate in any way to the real world. From a physics stand point all archaic missile weapons would be short range weapons underground, not much difference to any of them. The sling's biggest issue underground would be room to swing it not its arc (they are all about the same). With the standard 10' square there is plenty of room to do that. Keep in mind that most self bows end up about 2' above someones head when using, so they have issues with ceiling height and canted bows are harder to shoot accurately and at full power. As far as comparing the sling with the bow and crossbow the biggest factor is training. The sling historically was used by armies that relied on well trained elite soldiers (Rome for example) or where there is a history of civilian use. Crossbows are easy to learn to use, bows harder and slings harder still. I am an avid hunter and I also study archaic weapons, I have used the sling, bow, crossbow and spear to take game. The spear is clearly the most deadly, but the others have much better range. The Alaskan Fish and Game has issued at least 2 waivers for use of the sling on big game and in one demonstration one of their game wardens wrote about the sling was nearly as accurate as a modern bow at 50 yards and out penetrated the hunting broad head (with a 2 oz egg shaped lead bullet) on 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood backed by foam target. Lots of good real world info on the sling here http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by drpete »

Yeah, I dunno... I think (given encumbrance and weapon vs armor) it's an issue with allowable weapons more than the real "power" of the weapons.

For now, lets just say they behave like the horse bows, but are strictly limited to 1 attack per round (unlike bows, which can have multiple attacks in this house rule system). Horse bows, like short bows, can (theoretically) attack up to 3 times/round for readied weapons. That potentially makes the extra encumbrance worth it in some situations, and things don't need to get messed with too much.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#63 Post by Piper »

I truly meant no offense with my post! I'll delete it. I like the way you run things.
Red 5, Standing ... Hey! Is That A Banana?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by drpete »

LOL,

Nah, don't worry, man.

To be honest, I've never done weapon/armor mods before, and I'm just trying to figure stuff out. I totally agree about the deadliness of slings, just trying to figure out a space in the rules to nerf them enough that they don't dominate bows and make their selection automatic.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rex »

Your solution seems a good one. I didn't take offense by anyone's post, just throwing my 2 cents in. I tend to be blunt, not meant in a bad way.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by thirdkingdom »

Spearmint wrote:common travelling clothes, hooded cloak
leather armour and leather helm
longsword

silver dagger (worth 25gp)

short-bow
quiver of (x20) arrows
Backpack,
sleeping bag
large sack
lantern

4 flasks of oil
2 days rations
1 x wineskin & 1 x water skin
fire-lighting tinderbox
sledgehammer 11 iron spikes belt of spikes
Purse of 38gp

divide among yourselves as you see fit. Carling was not religious so just burn his body on the moors so he don't come back and haunt you.
I've added the sword, 38 gp and three flasks of oil to Betdas's character sheet.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by thirdkingdom »

Does anyone have any input as to where we should go next? Betdas has suggested checking some more of the open barrows.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Rex »

I agreed in character.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#69 Post by Piper »

Me, too. Posted!

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#70 Post by Piper »

I’m OK with whatever the majority wants. The way I’m playing it in game? My character, who has heard about the deaths when they went into the “one with the hole in the floor,” is suggesting perhaps a different barrow might be a good idea.

Still ... he’s young and cocky and feels ready to take on any challenge. If the group wants to go into the previous barrow again? He will follow without his a hesitation.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by drpete »

You guys are having trouble picking anything. You're having that trouble because nobody is expressing an opinion. We have 2 votes and 2 abstentions of 7 people.

I'm going to go with the current consensus (most votes) tomorrow. If you want someone to be the caller, that is also fine, and someone can just make these kind of "I dunno, what do you think? I dunno, what do you think? I dunno... hrmmm" decisions. Anybody (but Betdas, no offense, man, but... ya know ;) ) could do this job.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

I am good with whatever. We could also use a time limit on posts before you just move it along.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#73 Post by Piper »

drpete wrote:You guys are having trouble picking anything. You're having that trouble because nobody is expressing an opinion. We have 2 votes and 2 abstentions of 7 people.

I'm going to go with the current consensus (most votes) tomorrow. If you want someone to be the caller, that is also fine, and someone can just make these kind of "I dunno, what do you think? I dunno, what do you think? I dunno... hrmmm" decisions. Anybody (but Betdas, no offense, man, but... ya know ;) ) could do this job.
I just didn't want everyone to think I was bossing everyone around. I can certainly be more decisive if that's what we need!

Just know, no matter what I suggest "in character" or how certain of my actions "he" sounds? I'll always go with the majority decision.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#75 Post by Piper »

thirdkingdom wrote:Guys, I think I'm going to bow out. Good luck!
Take care buddy. I’m sorry to see you go.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by drpete »

Sorry to see ya go, tk.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Spearmint »

If Betdas is bowing out will you play him as an NPC or also divide the plunder he carries ( from Carling)?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by drpete »

Not sure... first, answer this... is Moony doing anything special with his gear to get sown, or just climbing slowly with everything stowed in his belt/in his pack?

I think he is not coming. You have plenty of muscle. Some of that stuff is back in town, but not all of it. It is not available to pick through at the moment.

Fingolwyn
Tracker
Tracker

#79 Post by Fingolwyn »

So who do we still have?

Theglid - C
Moony - C
Nimh - C
Lhainor - F
Kohrek - F
Fane - F/T

Does that sound right?
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by drpete »

Yeah... that's right

Return to “Barrowmaze (Blueholme)”