It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 am
Posts: 2164
Moony

"Unless you want to bash a few walls down and open into an unused crypt or void. Anyone handy with a sledgehammer?"

With nothing to see and the room appearing empty, Moony will leave it to the 'experienced hands' to choose.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:44 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2913
Just to confirm... looking at the map, 10 is a number attached to one which still has its stone seal on it. Are we going to open a barrow with a sledgehammer?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:44 pm
Posts: 385
Location: Northern Vermont
Nimh

Nimh doesn't have a sledgehammer. Maybe we could dig a hole on the edge of the cap stone and hook it somehow so we can pull it out? We could try to just dig our way in. Any other ideas?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2913
Lhainor has a sledgehammer. Carling also brought one, but he is no longer with us.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 pm 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 pm
Posts: 47
Lhainor is happy to bash in the door to #10 if that's where we're headed next. Just say the word. An iron spike or two might make it easier; if no one has any now, we could retrieve one from the crypt we left last time (there should be one in the floor we used for the rope, or even the ones we left (and the other sledge) from last time).

_________________
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline
Scout
Scout
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:58 pm
Posts: 70
Kohrek opines, Mayhaps we should revisit the original barrow? The one where your colleagues met their fates? We're better prepared and have foreknowledge of that which awaits us, yielding far different results to us.

_________________
Red 5, Standing ... Hey! Is That A Banana?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:44 pm
Posts: 385
Location: Northern Vermont
Nimh

I am fine with revisiting the original barrow if everyone else agrees.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 am 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 pm
Posts: 47
Lhainor

Returning to the original barrow is fine with me too.

_________________
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 am
Posts: 2164
Moony[b]

"Okay, let us follow in the footsteps of the previous efforts, poor results as they were. [b]Cuthbert
will be our shield and protector",says the cleric waving a mace in the direction of the open tomb.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:11 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2913
Date: June 2, 1:20 pm, Tuesday
Season: Early Summer
Weather: Warm, Misty
Moon phase: New Moon
Location: By the hole


Having checked out one open barrow and found little of interest, the group decides to head back to the big one.

You pass the spot where you left your old companion Carling's body, and head into the large barrow. You come to the hole in the middle of the floor, and see that the ropes are as you left them yesterday.

Would you like to go down...? How? Note that Kohrek and Moony are quite encumbered, with both heavy armor and a lot of stuff. These people will find it hard to get down the rope safely (must roll over dex(+2) for descent on 2 dice for unencumbered, 3 dice for encumbered or armored, and 4 dice for both... the looped rope provides a re-roll on a fail). They can be lowered down instead of climbing down, but that will be slower.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:44 pm
Posts: 385
Location: Northern Vermont
Nimh

How far down is it?

"I think we lower down the most encumbered first, then the last person or 2 can climb down. Sound good?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2913
It's about 30 feet down. There is a somewhat suspect-looking block-and-tackle with a rope attached snaking down into the darkness, and there are two more connected ropes, which are secured with two iron spikes also going down. These ropes have been formed into somewhat more sturdy way down, with loops for feet, but it's far from foolproof, and someone very weighted down is likely to have trouble.

At the bottom of the rope, at the limits of your light, there is a surface littered with old bones.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 pm 
Offline
Scout
Scout
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:58 pm
Posts: 70
Kohrek will divest himself of his pack, lowering it first. Then he’ll follow, drawing sword and lighting a torch at the bottom. If he can hold he torch in his shield arm, he’ll do that. Otherwise, torch and sword until some arrives to take over as linkboy.

His plan is to serve as forward guard as the rest of the group descends.

_________________
Red 5, Standing ... Hey! Is That A Banana?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:44 pm
Posts: 385
Location: Northern Vermont
Nimh

Nimh lowers he pack next them down the rope she goes, once at the bottom she will follow suit. Lighting a torch and going with shield/torch and mace.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 pm
Posts: 47
drpete wrote:
It's about 30 feet down. There is a somewhat suspect-looking block-and-tackle with a rope attached snaking down into the darkness, and there are two more connected ropes, which are secured with two iron spikes also going down. These ropes have been formed into somewhat more sturdy way down, with loops for feet, but it's far from foolproof, and someone very weighted down is likely to have trouble.

At the bottom of the rope, at the limits of your light, there is a surface littered with old bones.


Am I correct in thinking that we did not leave both of those ropes there (thus someone else has been here since then)?

Lhainor will head down next, then draw his sword and take up a position nearby to protect the others as they descend.

_________________
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:14 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2913
If we go back to the construction of the thing, technically you have two ropes tied together, sort of in a U, secured at the top with two iron spikes. Both rope ends descend and have loops on them. There is also a third rope going down, the one with no foot loops, attached to the tripod.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:16 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2913
Date: June 2, 1:40 pm, Tuesday
Season: Early Summer
Light: Nimh's Torch (Expires 2:30 pm), Kohrek's torch (Expires 2:30 pm)
Moon phase: New Moon
Location: At bottom of hole

The group works their way down the rope carefully, letting their packs down first. Kohrek leads the way, followed by Nimh, both of whom light torches and guard the area at the bottom as the others make their ways down. It is somewhat slow going, but the entire group makes it down safely.

The room is 30x30, with a partially collapsed western wall. The other walls have frescoes of a burial procession leading to a large barrow on them, and graffiti scrawled on the, which reads "MAKE NO NOISE! THEY WILL SEEK YOU OUT!"

The floor is littered with old bones.

The south wall is 30 feet long, the western wall is 30 feet long and partially collapsed, the north wall goes 20 feet before turning 45 degrees south, going for diagonally south and meeting up with the east wall. The east wall continues 10 feet south before opening in a tunnel, heading east. The tunnel continues east.

The tunnel goes straight east 10 feet. Then there is a tunnel branching off to the north. The tunnel continues east another 10 feet, and you can see a door to the south here. The tunnel seems to continue farther east, beyond the limits of your light.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline
Scout
Scout
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:58 pm
Posts: 70
Kohrek jerks chin at the east tunnel, then points to indicate the door to the south. He raises an eyebrow looking for nods or head shakes. At no point whatsoever will he speak or make noise.

_________________
Red 5, Standing ... Hey! Is That A Banana?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 am
Posts: 2164
Moony

Descends the rope ladder slowly and arms himself with the mace. He isn't going to run from a beetle and some sword wielding skeleton was on the loose by all accounts.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:56 pm 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 pm
Posts: 47
Lhainor

Once we're all down, let's go check out the door on the south wall. We know the passage on the north wall goes to the skeleton/trap room.

_________________
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group