It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:54 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
Sorry, you're absolutely right, Fane does have rope. Don't know how I missed that... hrmmmm...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:24 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
Date: June 1, 1:30 pm, Monday
Season: Early Summer
Moon phase: New Moon
Light Sources: Theglid's torch 2 (lit @ 1:20), Torch in hole (lit @ 1:10)
Location: In the Large Barrow

Carling finishes construction of his rope foot loops, which incorporates both Theglid and Fane's ropes and 2 spikes. After contributing his rope to the project, Fane shimmer down the tripod rope to join Wick with no problem.

Betdas checks with Boldar about time. Boldar isn't sure, but estimates that you have about an hour and a half before you need to leave if you want to get back before dark. You might be able to stretch that a bit, since the last part is through some farm land which would be relatively safe, but that's it.

Though I'm not calling them out by "turn", we're tracking things by turn...

Turn 1: exploring outside... reading the standing stone and heading over to the big barrow.
Turn 2: Initial exploring the barrow
Turn 3: Carling builds a rope ladder and Wick (and Fane) descends.
Turn 4: People try the rope ladder.

So Theglid seems to be first, and Lhainor last. Are Carling and Betdas going to come down? What is Carling's plan for the sledgehammer/remaining spikes, and what is going to happen with Theglid's torch, up above?

To make it specific, let's say the looped rope gives you a chance to reroll a failed Strength check on the rope climb...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 am
Posts: 4533
Betdas the Bold

Betdas descends the rope ladder.

_________________
I ran In Search of Adventure, a BECMI sandbox of B1-9 using the Dark Dungeons retro-clone.

In the summer of 2013 I ran Strangers in a Strange Land, a sandbox hexcrawl using Adventurer, Conquerer, King.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
Date: June 1, 1:40 pm, Monday
Season: Early Summer
Moon phase: New Moon
Light Sources: Theglid's torch 2 (lit @ 1:20), Torch on ground (lit @ 1:10)
Location: At the bottom of the rope

One by one, everyone descends the rope with little difficulty. The room, as described, is about 30x30, with one exit, heading east.

The western wall is partially collapsed, and that end of the room is partially covered in rubble. The floor is littered with bones, and the whole room stinks of death and dampness.

The walls have frescoes showing a funeral procession, leading to a large barrow. There is graffiti on the wall which reads "MAKE NO NOISE! THEY WILL SEEK YOU OUT!"

Attachment:
IMG_20171206_101233.jpg
IMG_20171206_101233.jpg [ 339.7 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:01 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 am
Posts: 2068
Carling

Descends and brings or passes down the belt if spikes and the sledgehammer. He leaves the last lit torch in the hands of Boldar asking him to return back here tomorrow midday if we don't exit in the next couple of hours. Should be enough time for us to explore.

He covers those scouting down the archway with his nocked bow.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:53 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
I'll assume Carling is slinging the hammer over his shoulder, then. As a result if his encumbrance, he is now moving at half speed...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 am
Posts: 4533
Betdas the Bold

"Looks like we're committed, then. Let's move forward, then, down that corridor. I figure we've got maybe forty minutes of exploration time before we return, to be on the safe side. Maybe an hour, if we push it back to here."

I thought someone had posted a marching order, but I can't seem to find it. drpete, would it make sense for you to create a new thread, titled "Standards", or something, where we can post standard operating procedures like marching orders?

_________________
I ran In Search of Adventure, a BECMI sandbox of B1-9 using the Dark Dungeons retro-clone.

In the summer of 2013 I ran Strangers in a Strange Land, a sandbox hexcrawl using Adventurer, Conquerer, King.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:54 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
With the torch up above left with Boldar, that leaves the dropped torch down with you... who is holding it, Theglid? (technically, it was Theglid's call on the torch up above, but Carling suggests leaving it with Boldar)

Looking through the archway, you see a vaulted hallway extending beyond the edge of your torchlight, 30 feet to the east. The first 10 foot section extends straight east. The second 10 foot section has a passageway extending north from it. The third 10 foot section has a door in the south wall.

Attachment:
IMG_20171206_154211.jpg
IMG_20171206_154211.jpg [ 877.2 KiB | Viewed 55 times ]


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:21 pm 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:48 pm
Posts: 31
Theglid

Theglid picks up the torch, and readies his mace in the other hand. He nods his assent to Betdas. Let's move carefully. Something tells me many of the bones here are recent additions.

Marching order from earlier in the thread: "Carling suggests we scout in the following order Wick and Betdas up front, cleric Thglid and Lhainor behind and carling and Fane bringing up the rear"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
Alright, you start moving forward. You go east 20 feet, to the first intersection (I'm doing this quick, to get you to a decision point).

The 10 foot wide hallway north goes 20 feet before ending in a wooden door.

The 10 foot wide hallway east continues straight beyond the limits of your torch. In the first 10 foot section, there is a wooden door to the south. In the second 10 foot section, a hallway branches off to the north. In the third 10 foot section, there is a door in both the north and south walls.

The 10 foot wide hallway west goes 10 feet before ending in an open archway. You can still see the rope dangling down from the ceiling.

From here, you have 6 visible routes to consider.
You may want to figure out how your route will get decided... votes, choose someone to decide, follow a rule, or ...?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 am
Posts: 4533
drpete wrote:
Alright, you start moving forward. You go east 20 feet, to the first intersection (I'm doing this quick, to get you to a decision point).

The 10 foot wide hallway north goes 20 feet before ending in a wooden door.

The 10 foot wide hallway east continues straight beyond the limits of your torch. In the first 10 foot section, there is a wooden door to the south. In the second 10 foot section, a hallway branches off to the north. In the third 10 foot section, there is a door in both the north and south walls.

The 10 foot wide hallway west goes 10 feet before ending in an open archway. You can still see the rope dangling down from the ceiling.

From here, you have 6 visible routes to consider.
You may want to figure out how your route will get decided... votes, choose someone to decide, follow a rule, or ...?


Betdas the Bold

"I say we check the door at the end of the north hallway."

_________________
I ran In Search of Adventure, a BECMI sandbox of B1-9 using the Dark Dungeons retro-clone.

In the summer of 2013 I ran Strangers in a Strange Land, a sandbox hexcrawl using Adventurer, Conquerer, King.


Last edited by thirdkingdom on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:00 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
Just to be clear, the archway west is back where you came from... you can still see the rope through the arch.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 am
Posts: 4533
drpete wrote:
Just to be clear, the archway west is back where you came from... you can still see the rope through the arch.


Oh. Edited.

_________________
I ran In Search of Adventure, a BECMI sandbox of B1-9 using the Dark Dungeons retro-clone.

In the summer of 2013 I ran Strangers in a Strange Land, a sandbox hexcrawl using Adventurer, Conquerer, King.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 pm 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:48 pm
Posts: 31
Theglid

He will follow Betdas if we are turning north. Might as well check this out first before going down a long hallway full of doors and turns.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:52 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
Ok, so we'll take a course of action when we get to 4 people in favor. In the meantime, do you want to establish any standard course of action for approaching a door,
Whether that's listening, readying bows for immediate shots on whatever is in the room, or what have you...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 am
Posts: 2068
Carling


has the belt of spikes around his waist and carries the sledgehammer. When we stop he puts the sledgehammer down on its head leaning against a wall, ready for easy pick up; and unslings his bow to nock an arrow. He will wait at the bottom of the intersection as the group approach the northern door so that he can view both that north passage and the rest of the east corridor.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
Ok, I'll adjust that. It has a similar effect on your movement speed. Both your heavy pack and your overloaded belt are slowing you down.

Unfortunately, as the light source moves up the north hallway, your ability to see down the east hallway becomes very restricted... it is dark that way, but you find yourself illuminated for whatever gruesome observers lurk in the darkness...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2844
The group moves 20 feet up the north hallway to the door. Carling stays in the back, at the intersection, but his view of the east-west hallway is reduced to just the wall to the south, including the door on the south wall, just to the east.

The door opens easily, revealing an empty 20x20 room. This door is on the eastern end of the south wall. You can see another door, directly opposite this one, on the north wall.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:58 pm
Posts: 35
Wick enters the room, moving the left. Then, he attempts to merge into the shadows to observe as the rest of the party enters. His sling is in one hand, dagger in the other.

_________________
Red 5, Standing ... Hey! Is That A Banana?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 am
Posts: 4533
Betdas the Bold

"We now have the option of continuing onwards and opening yonder door or retreating and exploring down one of the other corridors. Given that we are somewhat limited with time, my proposal would be to return to the crossroads and venture down the eastern hallway, trying the door closest to the exit on the south wall. If we explore those chambers closest to the exit we will both ensure there are no threats close to our means of egress, but also hopefully give us information on which to plan our next venture below!"

_________________
I ran In Search of Adventure, a BECMI sandbox of B1-9 using the Dark Dungeons retro-clone.

In the summer of 2013 I ran Strangers in a Strange Land, a sandbox hexcrawl using Adventurer, Conquerer, King.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group