Chapter 0: Preparations

drpete
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 0: Preparations

#21 Post by drpete »

As Lhainor relays his news back to the others, Wick notices that the wizard with the bug eyes has turned to look at your group, then turned back. The tough looking man with grey, receding hair seated with him the looks you over. His eyes linger, and he shrugs at some comment from the wizard.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by Piper »

Wick sidles over to the farmer’s table and buys them a round. Then, he chats them up about the area and the dungeon in particular. Any hidden, unknown entrances? Helpful tips and secrets?
Last edited by Piper on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red 5, Standing ... Hey! Is That A Banana?

leafcutter
Strider
Strider

#23 Post by leafcutter »

Theglid goes to the farmer's table with Wick. These people are the salt of the earth, and undoubtedly have wisdom regarding the local area.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

Listens bored to the table conversations. "Peacocks strutting," he thinks of the vikings.

He stays at the bar and asks Bollo regarding locals who might work or traverse the downs. "If you needed to hire a guide to stay on safe paths, would there be a particular old poacher or ranger you would trust?"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by drpete »

When Carling asks Bollo about guides, he responds "a lot of fortune hunters come here in the summer, and there's a good number of people who'll take you down to the moors. A fair price is about one gold per day for a man to guide you and carry a torch, but not fight. If you want recommendations, Guildmaster Osen over there does a good job finding reliable ones..." At this point, he nods over toward the old warrior with grey, thinning hair who was looking at you earlier.

Theglid and Wick go over to the table of farmers, introduce themselves and start asking about the area and the dungeon. These guys spot you for what you are pretty quickly. There are four if them... two brothers named Boldar and Vexxar, and two other guys named Wormax and Woloton. Boldar does most of the talking... the others seem a little less interested in talking to you. Boldar tells you.

He tells you that Helix is under the protection of Lord Kell Ironguard of Ironguard Motte. His son, Krothos, administers the village.

He tells you that the Moor is a nasty swamp, and the water level comes down enough in summer that you can walk it, which is why the adventurers come at this time. This makes his friends roll their eyes a bit.

He claims to have seen (ok, maybe it was a friend, or a friend's brother, or something, but it's true!) shadowy figures on the moor, the walking dead, stirred up by tomb robbers.

He could show you how to get to the Barrow Mounds, since every kid in the area has gone there, but he has never been in any of the mounds.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

Thanks Bollo for the direction. Dodging between the table and groups, he will approach the mentioned Osen.

"Excuse me Guild master Sir, Bollo has kindly pointed me in your direction to enquire for skilled men who may help my friends and I gain safe passage about the moors. Would any of your recommendable hands be available in the morning?"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by drpete »

Guildmaster Osen stares quietly at Carling for a moment, not moving. After a beat, he dabs his mouth with a napkin. He seems annoyed, like he is regaining his composure.

After taking a deep breath, he looks Carling in the eye, and tells him "I am ... busy. Unless you need a guide *now*, Go Away."

leafcutter
Strider
Strider

#28 Post by leafcutter »

Theglid approaches Carling and, as an aside, quietly tells him: Listen, a farmer named Boldar offered to show us the way to the barrow mounds. If this guildmaster is unable or unwilling to help us, I suggest we take the offer from Boldar.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#29 Post by Piper »

Wick declares in sotto voce I trust these farmers far more than I trust that Osen fellow.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by drpete »

As they prepare to leave the table with Osen, the bug eyed wizard snaps his fingers at Wick and Theglid, and indicates that they should approach him.

"You two... you are going to the barrows. Should you come upon any lore, whether historical or arcane, I am interested, and will pay well. Come to my tower with it, for your reward."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

"perhaps you can pay us some 'retainers fee' now, we could search in a place you suspect. Otherwise it is a bit hit and miss."the wily elf offers a compromise to the wizard. Carling doesn't trust wizards, (or clerics, halflings, orcs and his once upon a time fiancé), something in the way he snapped his fingers and commands attention. Maybe he just thinks the Barrowdowns is a spooky place and everyone is one edge.

Carling waits in line behind Wick and Theglid.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by drpete »

Guildmaster Osen looks Carling over, exasperation in his eyes. He then says to the wizard "Don't encourage them. They won't ever let us alone if you encourage them..."

The wizard cackles at that, and replies to Osen, as if you weren't even there "Oh, wait! I have an idea...!"

At this, the third man at their table, the plump merchant, dabs his face, and stands up. "On that note... I think I'll bid you gentlemen good night."

The wizard fixes the merchant with a stare of disapproval, then turns back to Carling. "Do you wish to be my agent, true to me in all things, offering me first pick of your treasure, and never betraying me, under pain of death? Would you submit to binding your will to mine? We could do that, for... what, 50 gold? Will that do it?"

Guildmaster Osen rolls his eyes and shakes his head at this, then tells Carling. "Look, don't do it, kid. He means it. You don't want this deal..."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

"Don't worry if I wanted 'till death do us part' covenants I would have married long ago. Still if my honoured Sir wishes to act as our 'fence', assessing and merchandising the recovered relics from the Barrowdowns and being offered first refusal on lore based antiquities, subject to lawful taxes to the Crown Estate and acting as third party broker to interest provoked in the recovery and sale of said relics by Angarach or Yggish templars. Then for 100gp ... each ... we will search your selected Barrows. Perhaps the good Guildmaster will provide a noble ranger to watch our backs and keep your concerns lest any suspicion of underhand dealing?" he responds, hoping the others agree to 'a good deal'.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by drpete »

The wizard stands up, cracking his knuckles. He starts to roll up his sleeves. "I'm about to take that as a yes... it's a yes, right, Osen?"

Guildmaster Osen turns his head to the side, and puts a hand up to shield his eyes. He takes a sip of his drink. "What's that...? I didn't see anything..."

The wizard fixes his gaze on Carling. He looks like he's about to cast a spell, but he is not actively casting, yet.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#35 Post by Piper »

Covertly, very covertly, a dagger appears in Wick’s hand.

leafcutter
Strider
Strider

#36 Post by leafcutter »

Theglid steps in now, physically putting himself between his partners and the wizard. No enchantments are necessary where a simple handshake would suffice. We will be sure to keep your offer in mind, should we come across any sources of ancient knowledge.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Spearmint »

Carling

"Well Master Mazzah, it seems with no gold forth coming that my friends and I will turn down you offer for now. No doubt from your tower solace you can observe our progress and chortle or cheer as your whims fancy. perhaps next time your door sign should be laid on the table. My apologises for disturbing your evening. " with that Carling moves away from the wizards table and collects his pack of equipment."My thanks for the beer and evening entertainment Bollo, it was almost ... enchanting."

With that Carling will leave the tavern and wait outside for the group.

Q?) Do we go to the Barrows with this farmer Boldar now or in the morning. Maybe we need some extra equipment, perhaps a plan of action? Carling suggests we leave at dawn, maybe after some morning devotions for the religious, (always good to have divine blessings and whatnot), check out a couple of close Barrows and aim to return the same day or the next morning if we brave a night sheltered somewhere. Then we can assess how we have done for the first foray and perhaps recruit some extra brawn and brains as adventurers arrive on the next wagon?

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#38 Post by Piper »

one vote for morning with Boldar as guide.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by drpete »

Guildmaster Osen comments to the Wizard as Carling leaves "That was exciting."

The Wizard rolls his eyes as he sits down, and takes a drink. "They all want a handout... Just let me drink in peace!"

Guildmaster Osen leans back in his chair "Hey, he wanted free service from me, too... but I didn't threaten to goo him! You gotta calm down, Maz!"

The half elven server returns with Wick's big food order.

---------

On the question of what to do... Boldar assumes you want to go the next morning, but he will take you whenever you want to go. He tells you it's a few miles south through the swamp, and will take 4-5 hours of walking to get there, so if you go on an extended visit, you will probably need to spend the night in or near the site. It's a large area filled with dozens of "barrows", or burial mounds.

leafcutter
Strider
Strider

#40 Post by leafcutter »

Theglid takes this opportunity to excuse himself from the tables. He pays Bollo for his tab and a room (assuming there is one to be had) and retires for the evening. A good night's sleep is needed to face the possible dangers of the coming day with a clear head.

Leaving in the morning sounds good to me. Between having Boldar as a guide, and following the vikings' trail, we should be good.

Return to “Barrowmaze (Blueholme)”