The Mission

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Mission

#1 Post by wolfpack »

Your Lance approaches the majors command tent, you announce yourself as you arrive and you hear the majors voice telling you to enter.

When you get inside you see the major sitting at a table and across from him is Private Hamilton Hart from the Fire lance. hart has a mullet that is spiked on top and a small gap between his front teeth as he smiles at you. You all know and have met him but don't know much about him except that he is form the periphery, talks a lot and has a affable personality.

You salute the major and he returns it, you all enter and have a seat. The major asks for details of your excursion to recover the salvage and he takes notes on what you tell him.

I called you all here for a specific reason. I choose each of you for the Crusaders for different reasons. I could have hired standard mech jocks, but being a small unit I needed people who I felt had multiple skills that could be useful to the unit in certains circumstances.

This is one of those circumstances.

We have no definitive data on what we are facing. At this time I believe it is a battalion of the 31st mark Militia, but we can't be sure that there were not more mechs held back from the ambush or if there are additional armor and infantry assets. We know they have at least a battalion of mechs and a wing of aerospace fighters.

I need you to take your lance along with private hart into the city of Fredrickstown on an information gathering mission. This is not an infiltration sabotage the enemy mission, it is about getting as much information as you can on our enemy.

How large of a force is on planet, are there more on the way, where are they stationed. We know the rest of the supplies we were after are spread out between two factory campus's, what are the enemy unit distributions at those facilities, why where they on planet, etc. Also while you are there the techs are in need of some certain hydraulic torque wrench, try to acquire one discreetly.

Any and all information will be helpful in our planning and decision making. Lieutenant I believe both Privates Hart and Doughty have some skills that will be invaluable for you on this mission.

You will all be dressed in civies and will be taking one of the unmarked techs pickup trucks. there is another small city about 30 miles away named hendersonville, you can use that as a cover story that you have come to the Fredrickstown looking for work.

Caadium
Scout
Scout

Re: The Mission

#2 Post by Caadium »

Gene is stunned for a brief second. At the academy, when he would meet someone training in multiple facets of conflict, he always thought they were don't themselves, and their future units, a disservice. A soldier should aim to be the best they could in their respective field; be it infantry, mechwarrior, special ops, etc. In this moment, he was forced to rethink his youthful hubris, as he wished he'd taken some sort of training to assist in this type of infiltration.

Quickly reevaluating what the Major just said, everyone chosen for a reason even if they may seem under trained. Obviously, that must apply to Gene in this moment. That belief gave Gene the confidence that no matter what, he could handle this, and he wouldn't let the Major down.

"Sir, I was just telling Private Doughty how important he is to this unit.

We won't let you down Major.

Private Hart, welcome to the team.

Sergeant, take the Privates to my tent. Everyone get to know Private Hart. I'll work out a few specifics with the Major, and will join you guys straight away."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan takes everything in that the Major just told them. Glancing at the new Private trying to get a measure of the man. It's fairly obvious the Sergeant is taking the man in and trying to figure him out in one look, he doesn't hide that. "Sir yes sir." is all he says in his best "soldier boy" voice still thick with his accent, though no cigar protruding from his mouth is an oddity. Then listening to his Lieutenant "Yes sir, I'll bring them back to your tent straight away." again still applying his "soldier boy" voice. "If I might be straight with you Major sir for but a minute." he asks still standing at attention.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by wolfpack »

hart catches the sgt watching him and he just winks and nods.

Of course sergeant, speak.

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan stops watching Private Hart and turns back to the Major "More than once since we've been sent to this planet we've been given sorry for the profanity but shit intel. No to little resistance turned into a full scale assault on our base. Simple recovery turns into skirmishes. So whats from making this undercover mission got to shit sir? What are our outs sir? Do we have backup plan and reinforcements or not? I don't want to go and loose anyone going out there with no mechs and in civvies with nothing for weapons trying to do spy work when most of us never have even done undercover spy missions it's a huge risk sir."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by wolfpack »

The intel given to us by the Lyrans was incorrect or simply lacking, but we were in transit for 3 weeks and crossed thousands of light years by moving through jump points in space, and a lot can happen in that time.

If you think every battle you will go into that you are going to know the exact enemy numbers and disposition then you are going to be sorely disappointed your entire career, it is best you learn now how to overcome and adapt volatile and unexpected situations.

As for a backup plan would you have us ask the dropship to land somewhere in the dark and cut bait and run, and be sanctioned by the mercenary board for abandoning our contract? They aren't going to care that we faced opposition unless we could prove it was overwhelming odds or had made every attempt to complete the mission, and at this point we can't say that.

Reinforcements? No we are on a raiding mission that the Lyran government will never admit was sanctioned, and we knew that much coming in.

In order to formulate a proper scenario to complete our mission we need to get proper intelligence, and you won't get that stomping through downtown Fredrickstown in a mech.

I am not sending you in to be spies, I am not asking that you infiltrate the enemy military organization and steal documents and sit in on their war room meetings.

I am sending you to go among civilians as civilians and try to gather as much information as you can with your eyes and ears and making contacts so that we can formulate that proper scenario. There are members of your lance with skill and experience that will lend themselves well to this mission.

Now if you think you are not up to the task you can stay behind and I will pull someone from Lieutenant Badimose's mission to send in your stead.

Caadium
Scout
Scout

#7 Post by Caadium »

A look of anger flashes over the lieutenants face before he regains control and comes to attention.

"My men can handle this sir.

Sergeant, you and the privates are dismissed."

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan "Infiltration and Intel gathering much of that is spy work sir. But you know me I follow orders.
I'm just getting sick of the shit intel. Is all sir. I don't want to loose any of these fine Privates either. I just would like some sort of exit strategy is all. I'd appreciate if we could bring some of the Ford Fusiliers, with us. But I'll do as you wish Major."
thinking to himself what the hell does the Major think his lance mates have been doing this entire time scratching their balls no they have had to adapt and work each mission specifically to survive and accomplish the same objectives that their shit orders and intel described as much easier than they were.

"Yes sir Lieutenant sir." saluting both the LT and the Major the big Russian leads the privates back to the Lieutenants tent. Perturbed at the Major still.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by wolfpack »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Ivan I'm just getting sick of the shit intel. Is all sir

You get cut off here, for the first time the major seems to be angry rather than calm and patient.

And why do you think we are putting together an information gathering mission sergeant. We are all sick of the faulty intel that was given to us and we can't simply pull good intel out of our ass. We are a merc unit and we don't have intelligence assets, we are not a regular house unit with the backing of a government. We have to be self sufficient and every member of this unit has to fill multiple roles.

An emergency exit strategy is board the dropship and flee breaking our contract and not getting paid. A real plan is find out the enemy makeup and disposition and come up with a strategy to give us the most optimal chance of completing our assignment. Turning tail like a damn coward is not the first option.

Dismissed.

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan outside of the command tent gives and obscene gesture when out of sight, and proceeds to the Lieutenants tent with the privates in tow. Taking a cigar out and lighting it smoking like a chimney.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by wolfpack »

once walking away form the tent Hart laughs

guess your balls are as big as your biceps ey mate

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan laughs through teeth holding his cigar "That they are private Hart."

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Having exited the tent as soon as dismissed the first time, David still hears the Sergeant's response and rebuke from within the tent. The Major's comments regarding why we were chosen to join fall right in line with the way David has felt throughout his education and training. Though he understands the Sergeant's frustrations, and appreciates the Sergeant keeping any eye out for his privates, David actually looks forward to the mission, not really trusting anyone else to get good intel at this point.

Once Ivan exits the tent, David falls into line to head to the Lietnant's tent.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan "Private Coughlan, what do you think about going into this next mission with out a mech?" the Sergeant changing the subject entirely.

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#15 Post by BuckshotChuck »

"Well Sarge, I'm sure I'll have no problem pointing out the needed torque wrench, and I can be a 'Mech Tech' with you guys as my astech repair crew from Hendersonville for a cover story no problem. But, " and at this point the private pauses, and while scratching at his scalp hesitantly adds, " you may have noticed I don't talk to people much. I'm sure Zeke here and the Lieutnant can handle that though. Besides which, though the Crusaders seem capable, I'd rather trust us to get the information rather than relying on anyone else."
____________________________________________________________________________________________

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by wolfpack »

Well I for one look forward to getting inna town and chattin it up, avin a few pints. Three weeks locked on a dropship is for the dingos.

Hart says as he pulls a home rolled cigarette from his pocket, licks the ends and lights it up.

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan chuckles "True you aren't a talker but you sure are the Mech Tech guy. I'd trust you with my Mech any day of the week. I suppose we can handle the talking for you. Though I'd best keep my mouth shut for a while I think the Major will not be pleased if I speak up again. Though I am like big brother, always watching out for you guys." the Russian laughs again and slaps David on the shoulder "Worry not my friend I'll make sure nothing goes wrong."

"Hart a man of my own kind you are. Drink and smoke maybe women too." he elbow nudges Private Hart "Sounds good no?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by wolfpack »

Hart smiles his gap tooth smile

I wouldn't mind romping with a nice shiela. We can go in as mech techs, or miners, or warehouse workers, or drivers.

I can drive anythin with wheels myself.

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan laughs at Private Hart while puffing out cigar smoke "I'll have to see how true that is Private Hart.
I bet I can find something with wheels that you cannot drive."
the Russian says in a prove it though joking manner.

Diamond_Spear
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by Diamond_Spear »

Zeke suddenly laughs. "You guys worry way too much. This is about the best assignment we could get. Trust me all you guys have to do is be yourselves. Do some shopping, talk about the weather, keep your ears open. That's all. No one will be shooting at us at least. Trust me, this is what I love to do."

Return to “[Mechwarrior 2] 3028 campaign”