Regroup

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Regroup

#1 Post by wolfpack »

You are the closest to the rally point and quickest to reach it. It is an area within the mountain range that is like a bowl surrounded by high mountains on all sides except for the crevasse you took to reach the area.

After about 20 minutes yours and the fusiliers techs arrive in the pickup trucks and deuce and ½’s. They have brought what armor and ammo they could carry but it is obvious they had to leave most on the dropship. They begin immediately setting up a command tent and preparing camouflage netting to cover mechs once they arrive. You assist them in covering your own mechs with the netting.
After another 45 minutes the rest of the unit arrives. The mechs come in staggered groups, all of them bear damage from lasers, rockets, and cannons. A couple are limping from damaged actuators or have arms barely attached. Your Companies command lance arrives led by the Majors Orion, as the mech warriors arrive both groups dismount from their mechs the commanders of the 2 companies along with the company NCO’s enter the command tent.

As you mingle among the crusader and fusilier warriors you piece together what happened.
On the way to the objective the unit had to pass through a canyon. On the way through a lance of planetary garrison mechs had moved boulders and were firing behind cover. Heavily outnumbered the combined companies moved in to quickly clear the path. Then suddenly mech signatures started appearing all over up on top of the canyon walls and behind boulders as at least a battalion of mechs powered up.

The initial volley was devastating, 3 of your units mechs were destroyed. 1 crusader, corporal Markev’s centurion and 2 fusiliers a whitworth and a griffin took ammo hits. Corporal Markev and private Keller managed to eject in time, but fusilier sergeant Paul died in the explosion. In addition one of your Pegasus hover tanks was destroyed and the entire crew lost.

Major Concord quickly took over and started giving combat orders to all units. Somehow he managed to maneuver units to cut off the ambushing marik forces and draw their attention away until the more damaged mechs could withdraw. He then was able to get them to split their forces so everyone else could retreat. Four of the Marik mechs were destroyed in the action and you did not lose anymore forces after the initial ambush attack.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Regroup

#2 Post by Recklessfireball »

After dismounting from Tricksy and helping to set up the camouflage, Gene grabs one of the techs and says, "Hey- I know you guys are going to be tearing your hair out getting everybody up and running here, so when you get to us I want you to prioritize Volkov and Doughty's Wasps. Don't worry about Tricksy; the damage is mostly superficial. Coughlin's good with a spanner; he can probably pitch in if you need him."

After tending to this, he heads to the command tent, giving the Major a sharp salute as he enters. After Concord debriefs them, Gene asks, "So, what do we do now, sir? And why do you think there's an entire Battalion of the Marik Militia here? Did we preempt an invasion?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by wolfpack »

the techs acknowledge your request, and you head to the command tent. before you can enter the sergeant major stops you. Your can here yelling from inside the tent, from what you can make out the major and the hauptman are tearing into the lyran liaison officer.

Sir the Major is busy at the moment, I will send someone to inform you when he wishes to debrief. Until then the major would like you to please direct your lance in assisting the techs, I believe one of your men, Spectre, doubles as a tech for your lance.

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#4 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Directing Zeke and the Sarge where to park their rides, David uses his Spider to deposit the truck and move the torn off arms to where ever the 'garage' is being designated. Spectre will, using a mech as needed to move the heavy parts around, focus his efforts on first trying to replace the right arm on Shadow's Wasp with the one we recovered from that last defeated Wasp. He knows it will take time, but with no information yet on how long we may have, he gets the destroyed arm off and the replacement one attached as quick as he can, even if finalizing the laser hookup has to wait.

Between repairs, if he notices there is another available tech, he'll get him started on tearing open the right arm on Crazy Ivan's Wasp to swap in the medium laser from the Stinger arm we recovered. Even though the medium lasers have different manufacturer's, this would not be the first time a field repair had to make due with the parts available.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by wolfpack »

After 15 minutes Corporal Markev approaches LT Harlow.

He salutes

Lieutenant The major wishes to see you in the command center.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by wolfpack »

David speaks with the head tech, he informs you until otherwise ordered he will be working with the astechs to repair damage to the command lance. he did bring your advanced tool set from the dropship.

We are keeping our supplies under the cliff overhangs there, out of the weather. You can use what you need, but we couldn't bring that much with us from the drop ship. maybe you can get your fellow mechjocks to help you tighten the sockets if they know how to turn a wrench.

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#7 Post by BuckshotChuck »

"Sarge and Zeke, if you guys don't mind assisting, I could use the help getting your mech arms replaced until your needed for something else."
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Recklessfireball »

The sound of the bellowing from the tent does nothing to put Gene's mind at ease. The Major was a paragon of discipline and iron restraint. If something had got him that riled up that he would visibly show anger, it must be pretty bad. Gene departs from the command tent, disquieted, and goes to pitch in with the techs as best he can. When he's summoned back to the command tent 15 minutes later, he can't decide if he's anxious or relieved.

Stepping into the tent, Gene salutes. "Reporting as ordered, Major."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by wolfpack »

shortly before your leutnant returns David is approached by the companies 9 techs and 12 astechs approach Davids.Alright Private we have been ordered to get your lance ready to run and gun. Give us a run down of needed repair

Diamond_Spear
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by Diamond_Spear »

BuckshotChuck wrote:"Sarge and Zeke, if you guys don't mind assisting, I could use the help getting your mech arms replaced until your needed for something else."
Absolutely. Just tell me what you need.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

wolfpack wrote:After 15 minutes Corporal Markev approaches LT Harlow.

He salutes

Lieutenant The major wishes to see you in the command center.
Ivan looks at the Lieutenant and says "You go Lieutenant I'll be here with the men helping to fix the mechs."
BuckshotChuck wrote:"Sarge and Zeke, if you guys don't mind assisting, I could use the help getting your mech arms replaced until your needed for something else."
the SGT then heads over to give a hand in fixing his own Wasp talking while assisting "What did I tell you before them mission. When they say no trouble, always expect it." he leans in towards David and Zeke and speaks lower "I tell you I think our intel was shit private, but I'd like to keep my rank, so keep it under your hat friends." the SGT then takes out another cigar and lights it smoking while assisting with repairs. "I tell you the local resistance here is a real pain, look at the damage they did to our mechs. We lost many good men today, and I plan to drink to them later."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by wolfpack »

After being filled in on the repairs needed the techs shoo away the mech jocks except for Spectre. They give a estimate of 5 hours and they will have the repairs completed.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Recklessfireball »

Gene overhears Volkov's comment as he approaches. "You're partly right, Sergeant," he says. "The Major thinks that intel pegged the planet correctly as a supply depot, but didn't realize they had a regular house unit deployed here. He reckons there's nearly a battalion of enemy 'Mechs stationed here, supported by a full squadron of aerospace fighters."

"The Major is sending us out to bring back some of the 'Mechs we downed for salvage, along with the Fusiliers Recon Lance to help. That's why they're diverting most of the tech staff to get our rides up and running. In the meantime, we're all supposed to pitch in and help Coughlin get the 'Mechs repaired."

So saying, Gene grabs some tools and does his best to assist their tech...

Technician check [2d6] = 9

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Pointing out some of the repair concerns to Ivan and Zeke, David begins the process of removing the right arm from Zeke's Wasp. Covered in grease and dirt up to his shoulders, he is pleasantly surprised when the other techs and astechs show up offering assistance.

Running down the list of needed repairs, Spectre ensures no damage goes unaddressed as much as possible. Spectre is so grateful for the assistance, he pitches in to help by volunteering to do the messiest and most hated parts of the repair jobs. When Spectre thanks the techs he mentions the remaining paint scuffs and scratches, but is disappointed when the lead tech tells him they will have to wait. David, not the most socially conscious person, frowns and shakes his head, missing the return glare given him by the tech.

"Zeke, when we get back, think you might be able to find some unit colored paint stashed somewhere or by someone here so we can touch up those repairs?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by wolfpack »

You all change and pull out your jackets as it is fall and cold in the mountains, you each set up your personal shelter and mingle with the troops you begin to hear gossip among the mech warriors.

Tension between the two mercenary companies is surprisingly low considering you are in a way competitors. You come to hear stories of how during the ambush there were fusiliers putting themselves in harms way to help crusader and crusaders doing the same for fusiliers. It seems to have built a bond between the mech units. It also sounds as if the Major took overall command when things went hot.

Some of the more popular gossip theroies

The Lyrans knew all along that the supplies were defended and the merc companies were sent here to get destroyed so the lyrans could get out of contracts.

The field marshall of the ford theatre went rogue and authorized this mission without knowledge of central command in order to start a war with the free worlds league.

That there ins't just a battalion of marik militia there is an entire regiment and they were planning on invading Ford since it is a major jump point. Your here as sacrificial lambs just to slow them down while the lyrans transport reinforcements to Ford.

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#16 Post by BuckshotChuck »

All the crawling around inside the mechs begin to take their toll on Spectre as the hours were on. As the repair session progresses, his work output declines with his final repairs on the Lieutnant's Phoenix Hawk's armor being ineffectual. His feelings of failure are made all the worse when Dagger points out where the issues are and proceeds to correct them himself. Wrapping up the repair work, David becomes more quiet and exhibits a sullen expression on his face.

A few checks from the repair work on the three mechs over the 5 hours:
Zeke's Wasp - Tech-Battlemech (4+): [2d6] = 11
Ivan's Wasp - Tech-Battlemech (4+): [2d6] = 5
Dagger's Phoenix Hawk - Tech-Battlemech (4+): [2d6] = 3

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by wolfpack »

with 9 experienced techs + astechs working on 4 mechs it isn't that bad, I rolled already and anything but a 2 was a success since there was no engine or gyro damage. Its fine you rolled though a 2 or 12 would have added a SP.

After 5 hours your mechs will be 100% operational, the armor replacement may stand out and replacement arms don;t match the scheme but everything works.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan grabs some black pain and a brush "Forgetting one thing on my mech, how many enemies did we defeat?" the SGT pains a slash on the right arm of his mech one for each enemy mech they defeated today. "There that is better. Want the same on all of your mechs?" he asks David and Zeke with his cigar still in the side of his mouth. "It's an old tradition I hear that pilots once did this in war. Mark on their air craft for each defeated foe."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Diamond_Spear
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by Diamond_Spear »

BuckshotChuck wrote:Pointing out some of the repair concerns to Ivan and Zeke, David begins the process of removing the right arm from Zeke's Wasp. Covered in grease and dirt up to his shoulders, he is pleasantly surprised when the other techs and astechs show up offering assistance.

Running down the list of needed repairs, Spectre ensures no damage goes unaddressed as much as possible. Spectre is so grateful for the assistance, he pitches in to help by volunteering to do the messiest and most hated parts of the repair jobs. When Spectre thanks the techs he mentions the remaining paint scuffs and scratches, but is disappointed when the lead tech tells him they will have to wait. David, not the most socially conscious person, frowns and shakes his head, missing the return glare given him by the tech.

"Zeke, when we get back, think you might be able to find some unit colored paint stashed somewhere or by someone here so we can touch up those repairs?"
”You bet. Just tell me what colors you need. Hell give me a little extra time and I’ll find someone to put in on for you.”
Last edited by Diamond_Spear on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond_Spear
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by Diamond_Spear »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Ivan grabs some black pain and a brush "Forgetting one thing on my mech, how many enemies did we defeat?" the SGT pains a slash on the right arm of his mech one for each enemy mech they defeated today. "There that is better. Want the same on all of your mechs?" he asks David and Zeke with his cigar still in the side of his mouth. "It's an old tradition I hear that pilots once did this in war. Mark on their air craft for each defeated foe."
”Not for me, thanks. The way I’ve been shooting it’d be embarrassing. And if I start shooting better it’ll give the enemy mechs the idea that maybe they ought to take me out first,” Zeke says with a grin. ”Which reminds me, I need to have a chat with the last tech that worked on my computers.”

Zeke heads off looking for paint, artist and tech in that order.

Wolfpack: I’m still posting from my phone so can you make any rolls I might need to find things?

Return to “[Mechwarrior 2] 3028 campaign”