Top 3 Mechs of each weight class in 3025 era

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

Top 3 Mechs of each weight class in 3025 era

#1 Post by Recklessfireball »

Most of us have probably been playing this game for years now and we each have our personal favorites. I thought it would be fun to riff on that. Here's mine:

-LIGHT BATTLEMECHS-
1) SDR-5V Spider (awesome speed and maneuverability, torso-mounted, ammo independent weaponry. Armor is a bit light for my liking, but the spiders movement makes this a minor issue).
2) JR7-F Jenner (Yeah, it's ugly. But it's probably the deadliest light 'Mech of the era, with a move of 11, jump of 5, 4 medium lasers and an impressive (for a light) 7 tons of armor. Just an all around great 'Mech).
3) JVN-10N Javelin (It can run 9 and fire two SRM 6 without overheating. Great crit-seeker and ambusher. I'd still rather have a Spider or a Jenner, but this guy is my runner up.

-MEDIUM BATTLEMECHS-
1) PHX-1D Phoenix Hawk (Great combination of speed, jumping, armor and decent heat sinks. It's also ammo independent, so I don't have to worry about running out or any mg bullets going kablooie. Yes, I was lucky enough to roll one. Yes, I'm happy about it.)
2) HBK-4P Hunchback (Okay, this would be a terrible choice, given our role as a Pursuit Lance. But in almost any other circumstance, this is a great choice. The 4P is as well armored as some light heavies, mounts a staggering EIGHT medium lasers and with a whopping 23 heat sinks it can run and fire 7 of them without overheating. That will turn dang near anything into swiss cheese. I always imagine these guys as bodyguards for the C/O of a Command Lance).
3) WVR-6M Wolverine (If there was one ride I would trade Tricksy for, it would be this 'Mech. With 10.5 tons of armor, a powerful mix of medium to close in weaponry (1 LL, 2ML, and an SRM 6) and 14 heat sinks to fire them, this is probably the premier Pursuit 'Mech of the era.

-HEAVY BATTLEMECHS-
1) GHR-5H Grasshopper (It's like having my Hunchback 4P, but with 3 tons more armor, jump jets, and the ability to punch and kick the crap out of things with its 70 ton frame. Nuff said).
2) ON1-VA Orion (My favorite close-in heavy for brawling. As much armor as some assault mechs, a potent mix of weapons and respectable heat sinks).
3) WHM-6D Warhammer (Armor nearly comparable to many assault mechs, an all energy weapons load that includes 2 PPC's and the heat sinks to fire them. The only thing lacking is a pair of hands. This is probably my favorite heavy mech, good for both close in and distance work).

-ASSAULT MECH-
1) AWS-8Q Awesome (Ah, the mighty 8Q. Outperforming heavier 'Mechs in its class since 3025. It's a one trick pony, but a damn good one. Alternate 3-2, firing your PPC's or move into a lvl 1 water hex and fire all 3 every turn. Pound the shit out of everything within range. Your 15 tons of armor will allow you to soak up the return fire. Love it!)
2) STK-3F Stalker (It's a little light in the armor, but this 'Mech is a great mix of short, medium and long range firepower, making it a great fire support 'Mech in almost any role. If I want something with superb long-range fire support and great crit-seeking potential, I might choose the 3H variant, instead).
3) BNC-3Q Banshee (Okay, so this is really not that great of a 'Mech design. But it is SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE! I like to use it to charge other 'Mechs at 6 hexes. This inflicts the equivalent damage of 12 hits with a medium laser. That'll probably knock the bugger down. When he tries to get up the next turn, shoot him in the face with your torso mounted AC/20 and follow up with a couple of brutal punches. WEEEE!

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Top 3 Mechs of each weight class in 3025 era

#2 Post by wolfpack »

I love stuff like this. I will go by strictly the technical readout version not the variants.

Light
Jenner - Best mech 40 tons and under, packs a massive punch for a mech that size and has great movement. Runs as fast as a locust but can also jump when it has to to move elevation.

Spider - Incredible movement, no ammo, design leaves both hands free for punching. Buckshot is playing it right use you movement to get behind someone and unload and punch. No heat problems unless you do a full jump but with running 12 unless it is rough terrain you don;t have to jump to get where you are going.

Mongoose - move of 8/12 with really good armor for a mech this size and 3 medium lasers it is a nightmare for other light mechs.

Medium
Enforcer - Jump capable, good armor, and packs a really good punch with the AC10 and LL.

Phoenix hawk - Best recon/pursuit mech in the game. Fast, heavy armor, and good punch. It is a hunter of the most common light mechs like stingers and wasps.

Trebuchet - I like fire support mechs and this is the best medium one. camp at a distance on a hill and lob LRM's. If the light mechs get close you still have 3 medium lasers.

Heavy
Orion - No coincidence that Major Concord pilots one. I love this mech it is a heavy that can hang with assault mechs. It cna reach out at distance with LRM's until it can get close enough to brawl.

Archer - Bigger badder trebuchet. Heavy armor, big long range fire support punch, 4 mediums for any smaller mechs that swarm it.

grasshopper - very maneuverable for a mech it's size with it's jump jets, doesn't have the one big hitting gun that most heavies have but is loaded with a lot of medium to go with it's large and a huge number of heat sinks to fire it all. the large number of heat sinks also make it about the best mech in the game to modify.

Assault
Atlas - the classic assault mech. Max armor, lrm 20 for long range, ac 20 if anything decides to get close.

King Crab - 2 ac 20, nuff said.

Battlemaster - another classic, tons of weapons PPC for range and a bigger punch and mediums and SRM for anything that gets right up on it.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by wolfpack »

I went through and made a spreadsheet of what mechs I could find referenced by each house. these would be the mechs still rolling off assembly lines.
mechs by house.xlsx
(13.17 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Recklessfireball »

Ah, yeah. Totally forgot about the Mongoose. That's a sweet 'Mech, but rarer than fine spun gold by 3025. I guess you could say that about the Spider too, though (according to the fluff).

Trebuchet is a good 'Mech, I agree. I also like the Whitworth 1S for close in crit seeking. These to mechs can be good paired up with one another.

The Archer is a bit of a heartbreaker for me. I like the idea of it, but I always want more heat sinks on the thing and the close in weapons aren't quite enough to deter fast heavies and mediums coming around for a backstab. It's a pretty reliable LR fire support Mech though.

Return to “[Mechwarrior 2] 3028 campaign”