Session 4: Back to Falko

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 4: Back to Falko

#21 Post by Marullus »

"I didn't think there were any roads," adds Allric, eying the thick forest. "Or else this place wouldn't be so forsaken. We do know the wood is fraught with wolves and spiders, though, so if you wish to seek deliberately towards safer paths you will have no argument from me."

You are the only Pathfinder, so it is up to you. :) When it is time for a Scout test, Rabon needs some opportunities to fail ( :lol: :roll: ) and Berry and I are all beginner's luck.

Let's just make sure we earn a check early so we can camp when it's time, if needed.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
Bill?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Sorry, super busy at eork, had to prepare for a briefing this morning. I should be free tonite to post something.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Enough of sitting on our hands. It's time to go. If your canteens are empty we'll fill them at the well, else we're on the trail in a quarter hour.

I'll take the lead, perhaps 20 yards in front. The Berry and Allric, and Aoife and Rabon bring up the trail.

I'm a-wishin' I had my walkin' stick, good for poking the trail to chase off snakes.

Perhaps if we swing by the well I'll see if I can find it in the grass where I threw it at that wolf away back when.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon, again, points out that Aoife seems to have disappeared in the night. We'd've heard some strugglin' if she'd been in trouble. So there ain't no use in looking for her now that she's decided to stay in the halls of her ancestors. Rabon offers to take up the rear alone. I'll be fine. And let's not waste time looking for no stick. Use my 10 foot pole instead and get going quick.

we should have full canteens from our last camp phase. Searching for the stick will likely take a turn, and making a new one will as well. Unless you list "always have a staff at hand"as your instinct, which would allow you to make a free test of some sort. .

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Ludanto »

The woods are thick, and light barely reaches the forest floor, even in daytime, though it's not so dim that you'd need a torch. After the grim silence or menacing howling in the ruins, the birdsong and the sound of the rustling leaves is refreshing. Unfortunately, there's no path to speak of to lead you from the forgotten monastery, but at least it's not very far from town.

Thag, test Pathfinder, Ob5!

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

A small lumber village near the Godsfall mountain range, along the Rheinmer river.
Hmm, muses Thag, I wonder if it's named for the Austrian rock singer?

I'm not sure if I know where it is. I do know it's near the mountains, and on the river, so the best way would be to strike directly east until we find a stream. Then follow that stream down-slope until it reaches the river. Then follow the river up-slope to Falko. I wish the elf were still with us.

Rabon, may I use yer pole? I'll take the lead, maybe 20 yards out. Allric and Berry and Allric's disk will follow. Then Rabon and Aoife in the tail.

Rolling Pathfinder Obs 5

3D + 1D (pole, used as a walking stick and checking underbrush) - 1D (Grim-visage trait, after the unnatural gloom of the monastery, I get distracted by a brightly-colored bird, and give a slight smile.

Pathfinder: [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6

Two successes, not worth exploding the 6 though.

Recording a Fail result for Pathfinder, and gained a Check.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by Ludanto »

The sounds of the forest become suddenly distant as the trees part, opening into a small, almost perfectly circular glade. The nearest stands of trees—hardwood and sturdy—nevertheless twist away from the clearing as if trying to escape.

At the glade's center squats an ugly cottage, little more than a pile of twigs, shoots and ivy stacked upon mud walls. From the thatched roof dangle bundles of old roots, dried animal carcasses, and miscellaneous bones, clattering together like morbid wind chimes.

A dozen small, thatched fetishes—each shaped like a tiny man, imp or rearing serpent—stand propped in the yard, keeping guard before the rickety plank door.

What now?

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I am getting a very bad vibe from this...I don't think I recognize any of that iconography, w-we could bring the light of the Lords to whomever lives within... Berry trails off, his clerical mission clashing with his need to keep the relics safe from this obvious witch.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

"Hmmmm...." intones Allric, stroking his long, wizardly beard as he contemplates the clearing before them. He inhales deeply and clears his mind, then re-opens his eyes to look upon it with his wizard's sight. "Let us see what truths lie behind this appearance of power..." He contemplates the wicker figures, any points from which magical energy emanates, and attempts to discern what the nature of this place would be.

Loremaster, aided by Wizard's Sight trait? Perhaps aid from what Berry knows of iconography?
Last edited by Marullus on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing Allric's intent to learn more, Rabon offers to sneak forward and peer through the window. Bright outside, dark inside'll make it a bit tricky, but I'm willin' t'do it. Might be a pretty lady in there, after all. A damsel in distress, as it were. He looks at Allric again and adds, Or an older, more mature lass that might fancy an elder statesman with pucker scars in his beard...

Help from Scout or Criminal?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by Ludanto »

There don't appear to be any windows to peek through, but it doesn't matter. Allric can tell from the strange bundles and creepy doll-things, that this is the home of a powerful witch.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Marullus »

Allric looks back at the floating disc of treasure and purses his lips. "Perhaps she'd trade some esoteric magic for a dwarven window? Otherwise, we might wish to circumvent this clearing rather than stepping within..."

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

The old men of my village used to tell tales of a powerful witch who lived in a living, bird-legged, hut, deep in the forest. I fear our party would not be strong enough if this truly is her. Even if it is not, the magiks scattered about imply a powerful, and unpleasant, person. I say we by-pass this, and return when we have gained additional skills, and some help.

If the person is evil, I would loathe to leave her alive to plague the land, but I feel we would be throwing our lives away meaninglessly if we confronted her. We could try negotiating, but I would like to know information, so we have some bargaining chips. Perhaps the villagers in Falko know of her. There was the rumors we heard of missing children. Perhaps there is a connection?

So, do we approach? With kind words or drawn swords? Or do we remember this location and return later?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon reminds the others that, to him, nothing is as important as getting the treasure back to town. Seems t'me, if she's it here botherin' nobody, we got no cause t'bother her, nohow. An' just 'cause she lives alone and has them spooky things out in her yard don't make her no kidnapper. Seems like she just don't want highwaymen botherin' her none.

'Side, my aim is t'get this treasure back to town and cash in. Feather beds, remember?
Rabon moves back into the forest, away from possible danger and loss of treasure. You guys comin'? He strongly encourages Thag to get the group lost somewhere else.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

"We can remember the way, I hope, and yes...
Consider a return when we are less laden and more prepared. I would not presume to enter with swords drawn, but such a woman might have much worthy of study."
He, too, encourages Thag to lead onward.

V: Is there any benefit to doing a cartography test now to remember the place, or is it just as well to do it in camp/town?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by Ludanto »

You're basically lost, so a map won't do you any good until you can find your way back to town.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Well maybe we should head on then...if it pleases everyone that is...

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Rabon, any idea which direction to head? Once he hit a stream we can follow it downstream to the river, then follow that up to Falko.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Nah, Thag. None of this looks familiar at all. Just creepy as all get-out. He pauses to looks in all directions, then points down hill, away from the shack.I'm feeling good about that way. Let's get goin' quick. Rabon starts jogging, listening for a stream or looking for anything that seems familiar. Barring that, hell choose a deer trail,
since they need water, too. Keep up Allric. Let's put a good-sized of space between us and yer kindred spirit.

Consider that a declaration of action. He'll be trying to find a path to a water source while jogging.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”