Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

#81 Post by Ludanto »

The room suddenly drops into darkness! The light of the lantern struggles to pierce it, providing barely more light than a feeble candle! You hear an eerie, wet, ululating, whistling sound! It's getting closer!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon lets out a low whistle. Should'a left well 'nough alone, right? But we've got loot to get, so... Okay. Stop the nonsense now. We're here for the goods. He taps his lantern futilely to make it a bit brighter. Allric, can you make more of them fancy lights you do? Just not so bright as last time, mind ya.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#83 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry shudders, I don't like this, b-but if you can find something undead causing this,
I'll try my best to make it leave.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by Ludanto »

The sound, though not loud, seems to come from everywhere as it echoes in the large room. Whatever it is, it is most certainly mere seconds from leaping upon you! Seconds!

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#85 Post by jhrrsn »

Get gone ya’ damn beastie!, Aoife yells, grabbing her hammer in both hands and swinging it deliberately at the darkness around them. Bloody old halls full of bloody stupid monsters and not a damn bit of treasure!
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Marullus »

"BACK!" commands Allric in a loud, forceful voice! "Your sorceries will not avail you! Back before us, those of Men and Dwarves who come before you! Stand down and withdraw your enchantment, before I, Allric the Powerful, am angered! Back, before Berenwald the Bright invokes the Lords of Light upon you! You will submit and identify yourself to me!"

Boasting, demanding, and spending a Persona to double-tap nature. What' the Obstacle?

EDIT: We cross-posted. :) I'm glad for some help from Aiofe - can you apply a Wise here?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by Ludanto »

Bellowing threats and imprecations into the darkness, Allric neither sees nor hears the thing that gets him. He only feels something like a wet rag made of sweaty meat slapping into him and wrapping tightly around his head, neck and shoulders! Then the chewing begins.

Everyone but Rabon just hears the wet slap and the muffled screams.

Rabon can see a nightmare of dark, mottled, bumpy flesh and writhing tentacles, like a sky-borne sea monster falling upon and enveloping the old man's head!

While the creature is silent now, the whistling noise begins again from elsewhere in the darkness!

Rabon can see another horror spinning out of the rafters toward the party.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#88 Post by jhrrsn »

Aoife lights a torch and looks for Allric, trying to control her breathing.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by Ludanto »

Unfortunately, Aoife doesn't have anything to light a torch with, and time is of the essence!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Why can't she use Rabon's lamp to light it? It was his suggestion...

Rabon isn't about to let Allric, and more importantly his disc with treasure, get left behind. I'll wait for an answer about the torch. Then he will try a fighting retreat to bring Allric back out with him. One person is in dim light, so Thag and his goal can declare the fight (he was scouting, anyhow, so that makes sense). Maybe Skyfall will come in handy since these are flying-ish creatures. :)

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#91 Post by jhrrsn »

Okay, unable to light her torch, Aoife will attempt to run, trying to swerve away from any abhorrent noises, towards the platform at the end of the room that is lit by morning sun coming through the window. She sure as shit doesn’t want to be in the dark any more!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Marullus »

"Mmrrrphlllgrmmmrph!" says Allric as he pulls his dagger from his belt and tries to dislodge the thing before he dies.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Marullus »

Allric is panicked as he prys with his dagger, paralyzed as he thinks through all the greusome fates ahead of him, as he ponders what exactly it's razored teeth and digestive enzymes are doing to his face.

-1D for Thoughtful to earn the group a Check.
2D Health +1D Dagger +1D Trait = 2D
HEALTH TEST [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3
Zero successes.

EDIT:
Per Ludanto, he earned two checks by giving the opponent +2D instead.
Last edited by Marullus on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by Ludanto »

The pain in Allric's face snaps him out of his panic attack and he begins tugging and stabbing at the thing, regardless of the threat his dagger poses to his own head! The blade seems to have trouble piercing the stony hide, but a lucky stab sends the thing whistling off of Allric's head, tentacles flailing madly! It spins away from Allric and into the darkness, perhaps circling around for another try or another target.

Allric can't see his face in the dark, nor tell if it's from the bites or the stabbing, but he can feel the blood and the pain. He's definitely injured.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#95 Post by jhrrsn »

Aoife runs across the hall, trying to put Allric’s screaming out of her mind so she can concentrate!

(potentially pointless? Sorry?) Dungeoneering test to traverse the hall!

I’ll spend 2 Persona to bump my 4D up to 6D, and then use my Scarred trait against myself to go back to 5D for a check (she’s not great with people screaming in pain in close vicinity...). That’s some serious math.

[1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 2

I’ll reroll the 6 with a Fate point!

[1d6] = 3

Well, shit. Only two successes. Got a check though.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#96 Post by Ludanto »

Aoife scrambles in the darkness to where she thinks the exit is, but all she finds is barked shins and bruised elbows as she fights her way over toppled pews and around hard, stone pillars. All the while, the whistling sound is getting closer and closer! Something cold, hard, and prehensile digs at her neck...

...and then she's in the hallway! While it's dim there, she can see, the light outside filtering in through the odd open door or ceiling crack. Looking back into the chapel, she sees an inky, unnatural blackness, its edges like tendrils grasping at her, like it can hear her pounding heart and tell that she is afraid.

Inside, she can still hear the shouts and he whistling...

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Seeing Allric get the thing off his head, I yell "Allric, it's me! We're gettin' outta here! Rabon, let's go!"

Grabbing Allric by the arm I drag him back into the hallway.

"Berry, we need healing fast."

Once Rabin gets out I'll slam the doors shut.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by Ludanto »

As if called by the sound of Thag's voice, one of the monsters spins toward him out of the rafters, going for Thag's face!

The thing is between Thag (and Allric) and the doorway!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Irritated over this turn of events, Rabon holds the dwarfish axe up (and in front of his face). This is Skyfall, beasts! Give up and give us our treasure! He strikes at the creature trying to attack Thag. Run! he hisses at Allric and Berry. There's no way he's leaving this place without treasure. He has plans for his life.

Fight, demanding nature, devil may care trait. Hope we get a decent disposition. Playing toward his belief, too.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#100 Post by Ludanto »

Rabon leaps between the monster and his friends, with murder in his eyes.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”