Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

#201 Post by Marullus »

do we stop seeing clearly after a moment?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#202 Post by Ludanto »

Just as quickly, the light dims once more, with only the feeble light of the lanterns, barely pushing through the gloom, to light the anvil and the gem which, much to Rabon's relief, seems to remain intact.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Magically induced gloom? Or just natural, dim light? If it is the later, then two lanterns should be sufficient to put all of us in full light, right?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Marullus »

Allric again offers Berry the gilded ceremonial hammer, in case he has more prayers or ideas.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#205 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Grasping the hammer tightly in one hand, Berry asks Miss Aoife, could you maybe read some of the dwarven prayers from the book, I can try to do the motions and repeat them, maybe we can coax something else from this alter?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#206 Post by jhrrsn »

Aye, I can read them. Can’t be sure I’ll be of much help making sense of them though.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#207 Post by Ludanto »

After several minutes of chanting and gesturing with the hammer, it becomes clear that the rituals aren't working, or at least aren't doing anything else showy.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#208 Post by jhrrsn »

Aoife glowers at Berry, as the irritation in her voice becomes less and less concealed.
Are you trying to make a fool of me, Berenwald? This doesn't seem like it's doing s**t.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#209 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I, I'm sorry. I am just trying anything I can to understand more about this object,
Since it seems to hold power of some kind. But obviously I have failed again...
Berry looks down dejected.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Marullus »

Allric tries to quell Aiofe with a hard look and reassures Berry. "Not to worry, the rituals of ancient dwarfdom are clearly lost to all of us. Though the gemstone certainly shows the power imbued here!" He pats Berry on the shoulder then looks to the others. "If that single gem had such an effect, I suspect that restoring all the gems would dispel this darkness and evil entirely. I also would surmise that the other kobolds likely stole the remaining gemstones. I am buoyed in my spirits after this positive revelation and..." he looks at Thag and Berry specifically, "I know how important it is to truly cure the evil of this place for you." Looking to Aiofe, he adds, "Restoring the good name of dwarven history instead of leaving a blighted altar to justify persecution of past evil practices also is a worthy goal."

Confirming: The indentations on the anvil match the book, showing there are multiple missing gemstones?

Confirming: We have so thoroughly inspected this room with Thag's actions that we're done here? If not, then I suggest we keep searching until we stumble upon the correct conditions for the Scout test.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Leaving the room would trigger Rabon's instinct.

Rabon, buoyed by the magic, asks Berry if his ring matches any of the indentations. Dang. I wonder how hard it'd be to haul this thing home. We could set up a museum with all the stuff we found here.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#212 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry looks over the anvil, checking to see if it is attached by any means that would make it immobile, also if the ring would fit into either of the slots. It would be magnificent to create a museum of this culture, to help dispel evil myths and prejudices. But first I feel we might need to delve even deeper, for the kobold may have even more relics that would aid in that noble venture. I only hope we can come to terms without bloodshed.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#213 Post by Ludanto »

The anvil is huge, solid metal of some sort, and somehow bolted to the natural stone outcropping that serves as a dais here. Perhaps it could be moved, but it would be a project.

The ring has a round stone. It doesn't match the teardrop-shaped indentations.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Knowing there is little else to do in the room, Rabon suggests the group head to the door he lost his lock pick set. I'd appreciate a chance to get 'em back 'cause they wasn't cheap. Then we can make camp an' either head home or check out the basement. Lots of terrible stories about cellars where I'm from, so it ain't my first choice compared with a cold beer in a tavern. But I'm willing. What with more of them rubies 'round this place, it could prove fruitful. He smiles broadly in the dim light, pocketing the ruby again.

As the group files out, he uses the 10 foot pole to trace the edges of the wall and around the base of the anvil and stone dais. He also checks out the stained glass windows, looking to see if there are any small sections that might be worth taking out and selling - images of dwarfs at work, fancily crafted items or runic writing in the glass. He'd need to think on how to remove them and how to carry them without breaking them, but art is worth money, and old art is worth even more.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Marullus »

Allric concurs, leading the group back to the study when Rabon is done so Rabon can extract his picks and then they can all take a break.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#216 Post by Ludanto »

The anvil doesn't reveal any more secrets to Rabon, and the main trouble with looting the windows is how to get up the 20 or so feet of wall to where the windows are up above.

Returning to the study where Rabon's lockpicks are jammed in the door, he can see that the tools are in there pretty good. How does he intend to extract then without just breaking them off?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The anvil doesn't reveal any more secrets to Rabon, and the main trouble with looting the windows is how to get up the 20 or so feet of wall to where the windows are up above.
I accept your invitation to describe to live. :)

Rabon sets the lantern down and spits into his palms, rubbing them together while eyeing the windows. You go ahead. I wanna take a closer look at them winders. The recently cowed rogue muckles onto the nearest pew and jams one end into a seam in the flagstone flooring. Using the crack to hold the wooden bench fast, he heads to the other end and gives it a heave, grunting heavily. Damn! Should'a had Aoife stay here... I'm gonna bust a nut! He gives up, instead asking to borrow Aoife's spikes and hammer. He pounds the spikes into the seams between the stonework, creating a stepping system. He moves slowly and methodically, gaining sufficient height to reach the windows. Once there, he uses his dagger to work at the lead solder between the panes of glass. Others might worry about slicing their hands, but Rabon knows he his Rough Hands are up to the task.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#218 Post by Ludanto »

Working the lead with his dagger isn't easy, hanging onto the wall with one hand that is also trying to hold a lantern, and scraping at the seams with a tool not meant for the task, but Rabon makes slow progress. He does, however, realize that once he frees the window from its mooring, he's going to have to get it back down to the floor without destroying it, or falling. It's a couple feet wide, and taller than he is, made of lead and thick glass, and he doesn't really even have a free hand to spare.

Will he keep doing this? What's his plan for collecting the window once it's loose?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The lantern is set on the window sill or on the end of a pew set on end. Once in position, he hooks his knee up and over one of the spikes to anchor himself, with his other leg flagged out against the stone wall, his toes finding a small chink to burrow into. One hand on a different spike, he only tries to free up a small section of the window - an image of a cherubic dwarf, or a bearded maid, hard at work at a forge. Barring something like that, he will try for a flower - nothing more than a 2'x2' area that would be easily framed and hung on an aristocrats wall. For a price.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

better yet, if the readers are low enough, he will look a rope over them, securing I've end to a few or two (or the alter/anvil), then make a bosun's chair, hanging in front of the window.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”