Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

#61 Post by Ludanto »

There is also a fourth cell (second from the last, actually) that is unopened. The Dwarven skeleton there rests peacefully on its cot, arms folded on its chest. On one bony finger is a large ring with a reddish stone.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Y'all think we'll need t' fight this one to get the ring?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Marullus »

Allric peers into the third cell at the ring-bedecked skeleton. "Thank the Lords for the peaceful dead. I'll collect that one," offers Allric moving towards the cell. If he can pry open the door and the skeleton doesn't move, he enters and takes the ring, examining it for inscriptions or markings.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Be careful, Allric, that one might be feisty too!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sorry. I had forgotten the final cell in all the skeleton mayhem. Please include that cell in Rabon's actions if an instinct-test is necessary. It'll save Allric a Health-based test and avoid advancing the Grind. Unless Marullus really wants to have a go at it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Marullus »

I assumed Ludanto's post was the response to Rabon's instinct -- i.e. 'No search necessary, the treasure is plainly displayed on the unanimated corpse.' If there is more searching to happen, it (and Rabon) goes first.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#67 Post by Ludanto »

The cell gate gives way, nearly collapsing upon Allric and clanging to the floor. The final skeleton remains in peaceful repose. Allric carefully slips the large ring off of the dead dwarf's finger and still faces no reprisal. Even without Aoife's help, Allric recognizes the the simple, dwarven inscription: "TAROG"

He also finds two more of the mushrooms inside the dead dwarf's rib cage!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Marullus »

Allric adds the mushrooms to the sack, then muses over the large ring. "Tarog... Respect to your dead followers, Forgelord," he says, then slips it on to see what happens.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:I assumed Ludanto's post was the response to Rabon's instinct -- i.e. 'No search necessary, the treasure is plainly displayed on the unanimated corpse.' If there is more searching to happen, it (and Rabon) goes first.
Sure. It all seems obvious now that you say it... :roll: :P

Rabon looks on with pleasure.Say. That's a right-smart lookin' piece! What'd'ya reckon it'll do? Magic? Or just pay for that feather bed you were on about?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by Ludanto »

Allric eyeballs the ring. Rubies typically offer protection from negative energies, or provide courage, but that's no guarantee. The inscription invokes Tarog, a Forge Lord, so perhaps there is some connection there, but again, it could be anything. Until a more mystical examination can be made, Allric slips the overlarge ring onto his finger and...

...nothing.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Marullus »

Allric closes his eyes and inhales deeply. "Yesss... I believe indeed it may be empowering a dwoemer," he says, looking a bit brighter and less exhausted. "I believe the power of the Lords of Light flows through this," he expresses confidently. He removed the ring and steps forward to slide it onto Berenwald's finger. "Let it's Powers bolster your courage, Berenwald: it is time for you to lead us into the chapel."

The look of empowerment still fresh on his face, he urges the group onward before there is room for dissent, Thag checking the way ahead and with Berry 'leading' right behind him.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

As we leave the cell we will block the door with furniture from the armoury. Didn't Allric find a desk there that had something in it? We will slide that over to block the door. Between myself, Aofie, Berry, and Rabon we should be able to do it with little effort.

That should keep them in there. Now, let's go examine that chapel.

I take the 10' pole and head over to the entrance hall of the chapel. Who's carrying the lantern?

We've mapped the way to the chapel, so we can avoid the wolves to get there.

Reaching the doors to the chapel, what do I see, hear, and smell? The doors are slightly ajar, aren't they?

If I do not see or hear anything I will slowly open the door using the pole.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon's buoyed spirit is quickly deflated by Thag's recommendations to start lifting heavy furniture. He sets down the lantern a moment, makes a big show of rubbing his hands together, then starts pushing things halfheartedly while griping. I tell you this. When my ships come in, you won't find me shovin' and liftin' no more. I'll get me some of them man-servants to do this sort'a thing. I don't wanna spend my winter years nursin' no trick back, so sir! I tell ya, I'll be sittin' in a down-filled chair with some of them fancy springs to support me. An' I'll get some pretty girl to rub my feet. This lifting stuff is for chumps. An' I don't plan to be no chump for much longer. I'm gonna make my mark here and head back t'town with a sack of cash-money. His soliloquy meanders from there, hitting on any number of issues he has identified from being poor his whole life, and how money will fix it all.

Rabon will take the laborer (or other) test if there is one to do this, accepting help as he can. Unless Thag or Aoife want it to advance their skills.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by Ludanto »

Thag pushes the chapel door open with the pole until he can see inside. Six pews, most still upright, take up much of the space, three on each side. Two large pillars stand in support of each half of the room. In the morning light filtering through broken stained glass, you can see at the rear of the room, on a raised, natural stone, a huge, ceremonial anvil.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Marullus »

After Thag has had his look around, Allric urges Berenwald to the fore, pointing encouragingly to the ring placed on his finger. Meanwhile, Allric scans the room with his thoughtful gaze, trying to ascertain any other symbols, signs of creatures or habitation, or items of supernatural or mystical significance.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#76 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry takes a deep breath, and begins slowly making his way towards the anvil, on the look out for any religious iconography in the chapel that may give clues about the services that once happened here.

Ok guys, is anyone else getting a very creepy vibe in here?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#77 Post by jhrrsn »

Honestly, Berry, is this place so different from the halls of Hollifort?

Aoife is particularly interested to see if there are any symbols that tie the hammer to this anvil. (Dwarves are straightforward creatures who tend to look for obvious connections!).
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#78 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Hollifort doesn't have a skeleton prison down the hall from a chapel as far as I know, so that changes the atmosphere just a tad. Berry seems fairly suspicious of the seemingly vacant surroundings

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#79 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Suddenly, I raise my hand to my team as a sgnal. Wait! Something's not right here, I can sense it.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#80 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Speaking in a low, forceful voice; Alright you sneaking obnoxious little kobold sneak, you are not going to surprise me with a trap again. I know you're there, and I'm ready for you this time.

Using Grim-visaged Trait as a bonus (once per session), and using a Persona point and my Demanding Nature for +3D

Scout +3D + 1D + 3D

Scout 3 vs Naure 3: [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 5
Grim-Visage Trait: [1d6] = 3
Demanding Nature: [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 3

Well, that's not good, only 1 success, and no 6's.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”