Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

#121 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Taking a deep breath, Berry faces the darkness. I'm sorry friends, my shock overtook me for a moment, if someone could hand me a rope I could fetch our allies,
I was right with them. And I'm sorry Mr.
Allric, but those creatures did not seem undead, so my prayers were useless, and I may have panicked.
Berry raises his shield, and prepares himself to dive into the dark.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Marullus »

Allric fishes a rope from Thag's backpack, which he is holding in the hallway, and hands one end to Berry as the brave cleric ventures in. "I'll aid you, Berry. Go get our injured friends."

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#123 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry grabs the rope, edging into the darkness, listening for his allies as he approaches their last known position, barring any complications, he continues until he finds them, looping a bit of rope around each of their arms to help guide them and then returning from whence they came. If I overstepped, let me know and I'll edit the post back as far as I need. As much as the sword is important, Berry is concerned with saving lives first before going to claim items or loot. I'm willing to dive back in for it if we must.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#124 Post by Ludanto »

It takes a while, groping around in the darkness, but eventually you get everything and everyone out. You are, however, horrified to find that one monster is still attached to Thag's face!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Marullus »

Allric minds the rope, aiding Berry's return to the hallway. Now feeling experienced at facehugger removal, he uses his dagger to remove the beast as quickly and deftly as possible.

He also used his trained eye to evaluate what the nature and origins of these creatures was and if any portion of them should be preserved for alchemical significance.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Marullus »

Having extracted the still-viable creature from Thag, Allric carefully examines it in its weakened state to determine its nature. His wizard's sight, so often a distraction to him, now avails itself to the study of the creature's otherworldly properties. He pins it cautiously with his dagger's tip and consults Aiofe for what the dwarven histories say of such creatures, or their known associations with dwarven dark gods. His exhaustion and injury distract him, but he does his best before ending the creature's vile existence.

3D Loremaster +1D Wizard's Sight -1D Injured +1D Help from Aiofe's wise (no consequences) +1D Persona Point spent vs Ob2 +1Ob for Exhausted.
Total: 4D vs Ob 3.

[1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4
Help: Dwarven chronicles-wise [1d6] = 2
1 persona [1d6] = 2
As a stretch... if his Gullible Mark-wise extends to study of creatures that exploit others, and thus we're the gullible marks...
Of Course! [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3
1 success.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#127 Post by Ludanto »

Aoife shrugs. This isn't something that has ever been mentioned in Dwarven chronicles. It's definitely not natural, though. It's some sort of abomination. When Allric finally gives up and stabs it, something inside pops, and he is shot in the face with a foul smelling oil that nearly makes him retch. The others in the hall can barely tolerate his presence.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#128 Post by Ludanto »

It's been a long morning. Everyone is hungry and thirsty.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Marullus »

Exhausted, injured, hungry, thirsty, nauseous, and smelly, Allric gives the unnatural darkness of the chapel the stink-eye. "Come on. I think we need a break while their unnatural spell wears off." He pauses to collect himself and thoughtfully re-casts his floating disc enchantment to help get all their goods back to the still-secured tower campsite.

Floating Disc. 8 slots and 4 turns (minimum) is Ob 2 +1 Exhausted = Ob 3.
Arcanist 4D -1D Injured +1D Thoughtful = 4D
Arcanist [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 3

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#130 Post by Ludanto »

Thag and Rabon stagger to their feet as Allric casts his spell, but the strain has been too much this morning, and the arcane energies escape his control, half formed. The glowing disk materializes, but then shudders and jerks and then launches itself at the base of the nearby wall! There's a scraping, groaning sound as the wall collapses toward you, threatening to bury and crush the party!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Marullus »

The exhausted, injured, hungry, thirsty, nauseous, and smelly Allric is focused on the spell to such a degree that he fails to see the threat of the wall collapse coming, still trying in vain to reign in the magical energy which is causing the wall's structural failure. He does little more than emit a "Gaaaah!" of surprise and alarm as the mortar and stone begins to fall.

Health test vs Ob 2 to avoid being crushed to death.
2D Health -1D for being injured -1D for Thoughtful trait +1 Ob for being Exhausted =
0D vs Ob 3. No roll needed.
Group earns a check for camp (3 total).

...But his human instincts kick in, leaping out of the way just in time.

Spend 1 Persona to tap nature and 1 Fate to reroll 6s.
Tapped nature [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 1
Reroll 6s [1d6] = 6
Reroll 6s [1d6] = 3
3 successes.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#132 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry leaps without thinking, trying to get to Allric in time, to little avail, his tendency to defend others getting him into trouble that his shield could not prevent. Mr. Allric!!
I'm coming for you!
Berry yells as he dives, before getting hit by
Ok so health 3D, +1 shield -1 for using defender against
[1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2
And spend fate to reroll the 6
[1d6] = 1 oops

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

With senses heightened from the close proximity of the tentacled monster that nearly killed him and Thag, Rabon jumps clear of the collapsing wall before he is cognizant of the actual event.

Health [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6 Could have used a roll like that on our disposition! :roll:

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#134 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Waking up in a slight daze from my encounter with the face-hugger, as I get to my feet I see Allric's spell go astray. Run, Allric! I yell as I hear an ominous crack and a rumble behind me. I leap forward...

Health roll: [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4

... and yelp in pain as a large rock bounces off the floor and strikes me in the leg. I'll be limping for awhile.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#135 Post by jhrrsn »

Dazed, and still terrified, Aoife reflexively moves out of the way of the collapsing wall. She is a little slower than the others, more tanking the wall falling rather than gracefully dodging. But the result is the same.

Health 5: [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 1
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#136 Post by Ludanto »

When the roaring crash of stone on stone ends and the dust settles, only Allric, Rabon and Aoife are still standing. Thag and Berry are nowhere to be seen. Across the pile of rubble, the nearly tactile darkness of the chapel writhes against the new opening.

Then, there's a tapping sound, from within the pile. A muffled voice. It sounds like maybe it's asking if Allric is okay.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Marullus »

Though he is exhausted, injured, hungry, thirsty, nauseous, and smelly, Allric inhales deeply to compose himself and raises his wizarding staff. "Rabon, Aiofe, quickly! Get them from the rubble!" he says urgently, interposing himself instead between them and the writhing darkness. He then begins tracing mystic symbols in the air with his staff and intoning forcefully towards the darkness. "Dissipate! You shall advance no further beyond your confines! Retreat before the mystical might of the Ashen Throne and its practitioners!" he continues, abjuring the darkness itself as the others do the actual heavy lifting.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#138 Post by jhrrsn »

For a moment, Aoife thinks about running. Who are these people anyway - they’re basically strangers to her! Her parents though, they wouldn’t run. They always strived to help others, even when it put them in harms way.

Still trembling, she bites back tears and runs towards the scene, starting to pull at the rubble covering her friends.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#139 Post by jhrrsn »

Labourer Test: Ob 3

Labourer 2D + Nature 5D = 7D

[1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 1 = 4 Successes.

Feeling the blood of her ancestors coursing through her, she dives into the rubble...

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#140 Post by Ludanto »

Well, that's one way to do it.

With single-minded intensity, Aoife begins moving the great stone slabs that pin her companions. The activity is a sight to behold, like some sort of clockwork machine.

Soon, she pulls Thag from the rubble, coughing up stone dust. And then Berry, who was pinned beneath his shield.

With most of the large stones moved, it will only take some time digging about to recover your treasures, though you'll still need a way to carry them.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”