Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#121 Post by Marullus »

"Aiofe? hammer."

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#122 Post by jhrrsn »

Attempting to soothe Rabon’s ego, Aoife moves up to the door and motions to him. Good job getting the lock prepped, Rabon. Now, grab one of these pitons and let's work on the other side to get this thing off it’s hinges...

Aoife is gonna try and pry the door off it’s hinges. She prefers ‘direct’ (e.g. bloody obvious) solutions in life.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#123 Post by Ludanto »

Conveniently, the hinges are actually accessible from this side of the door!

Aoife, Peasant Ob2

+1D for spikes

Any help has to be legitimate and narrated.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#124 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Looking around, I find a rock and a length of lumber to use as a lever and fulcrum.

Get the hinge screws loose, and I can use this to pry off the hinges.

Using Survivalist-3 to jury-rig the right tool for the job.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon takes the spikes as instructed by Aoife. And having been raised by peasants, he shows the dwarf what real griping os all about, Doors like this are real heavy, so let's get it done quick. I remember this time I helped a carpenter with a door like this. Only putting it up, mind you. Had to hold the darned thing still for nearly 30 minutes while he took his sweet old time hangin' it. My arms ached for days afterward, and all I earned was a few coppers. Barely enough to buy some salt and an onion to season the soup that evenin'. Turnip and cabbage stew, I believe it was. Can't say near 'nough how much I hate turnips. We only ever grew 'em 'cause nothing else'd eat 'em. That and garlic. He prattles on for as long as the job takes.

+1D help.
I still earned a check last roll, right? I might use it to earn a test on peasant, depending on if Aoife earns a check on this roll.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#126 Post by Ludanto »

Yes, Rabon has a check. If you're using it to earn a pass/fail while you help, you'll want to do that before Aoife's test.

In the interest of sanity, Thag's scavenging of debris to make a survivalist lever is a Good Idea™ (instead of two turns)

So, Peasant Ob2, +1D (spikes), +1D (Rabon help), +1D (lever-tastic supplies)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#127 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Turnips? At least they are not foo-gah "bitter melons"

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#128 Post by jhrrsn »

Loving the RP. What’s the group’s (and GM’s!) opinion on this test coming under Aoife’s Nature? It seems like a fairly good fit for ‘Delving’ - prying a door off it’s hinges in an old dwarven monastery. But I don’t know what’s legit and what’s stretching!

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#129 Post by Ludanto »

The root of "delve" is "to dig", so I'd want some digging, or at least some downward movement, maybe some rummaging.

That's my feeling on it, but there's some wiggle room. If you're convinced that removing a door is "delving", then go for it.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#130 Post by jhrrsn »

That’s fair, so delving is more for underground adventuring. Makes sense.

Okay, so Health 5 + three help/gear dice is 8, halved is 4D.

I might add a Persona die in to the mix, just to be sure. So 5D.

[1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 1 - three successes, good job team!

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#131 Post by Ludanto »

Bah! Once again, I forgot the dim light penalty, but again, it didn't matter in the end.

With Rabon and Thag's help, Aoife manages to unhinge the door and set it aside in the hallway. The room beyond seems small. You think you can make out some furniture, but it's too dark inside to tell.

Who's got a light?

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Marullus »

Galen is carrying a lit lantern. He already subtracted the oil. There shouldn't have been a dim light penalty.

"Galen, Thag... if you please," Allric gestures them towards the door, that Galen could provide light while Thag does his usual checking for danger.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#133 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Allow me.
I'm assuming we took the hinges off and the whole door, so that's what I'll write. I can edit it if needed.
Pulling the door out, and leaning it up against the wall, I muse "There might be some use for this door, parts for a barricade, or something. I'll remember it's here."

Standing outside the room, I look in, do I see anything? Using the pole, I tap the floor, listening for hollow spots. I them prod the floor in places, seeing if there is any give to the tiles. If it all seems ok, I'll step in.
If ths will require a rest, let me know the difficulty, and if anyone is helping. I'll be back online tonite.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by ffilz »

Galen will step up to the doorway and shine his lantern in.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#135 Post by Ludanto »

Lantern use noted.

This small chamber appears to be some sort of sitting room, complete with a single table and a pair of chairs, both in relatively good condition.
Resting atop the table is a half-eaten crow next to a crude knife and a cracked mug.
There is a closed door in the south wall.

Bill, have Thag make a Scout test. Ob3. +1D for the pole.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by ffilz »

Galen will shine his lantern around the room looking for anything unusual (hoping that satisfies help for Scout test).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Marullus »

Thag's test is his instinct, right? So no help, right?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#138 Post by Ludanto »

I'm still picking up the subtleties of Instincts, but yes. It's his Instinct. No help.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#139 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ludanto wrote:I'm still picking up the subtleties of Instincts, but yes. It's his Instinct. No help.
Unless they have a suitable/compatible Instinct or Nature. Page 107 in the rulebook.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#140 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

With the light from Galen's lantern casting flickering shadows, I step into the room.

Thinking: Someone was having crow, I wonder if it was the kobold, or one of his friends.

Testing the floor, but since it appears this room has recently been occupied, I don't think it would be trapped. I check the plate of food, if it's still warm then whoever was in here must have fled through that south door as we made noise breaking in. Finally, I listen at the south door.

Testing Instinct Scout-3 +1D (pole) for Ob 3, but since I think this room should be fairly safe, I will drop a die to earn a check.

Scouting: [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1

2 successes, almost, but 1 check earned. And this is the second Scout I've failed, all I need now is another success and I'll have Scout-4

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”