Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#241 Post by Ludanto »

Rabon must test Scout, Ob2 (counting the glare factor)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Marullus »

Just so it isn't lost...
Marullus wrote:Allric
His real focus is on the sheet of parchment - he examines it carefully as the others look to the cloaks.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#243 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

D'ye need help searching them dusty cloaks, Rabon?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#244 Post by Ludanto »

His real focus is on the sheet of parchment - he examines it carefully as the others look to the cloaks.

Oops. Thanks, Marullus.

As the others finish searching, Allric gingerly removes the note from the dead dwarf's grip. The old paper breaks in several places, but the message is clear. Clearly dwarven, that is.

Allric calls on Aoife once more to translate:
The dead dwarf wrote: "Forgive me, dark father of the forge, my toils shall never be enough."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon looks carefully around the dead dwarf's desk and through the cloak closet. His Rough Hands allow him to ignore the abrasions and splinters as he reaches under the desk, behind drawers, and along the wood paneling in the back of the closet. He ignore the myriad scratches as he retrieves items of value.

Scout 3 + 1D (rough hands) =4D
vs Ob2 [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 4

Success, with Rough Hands used in his favor

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#246 Post by Ludanto »

Inside one of the decrepit work boots, feeding off the rusting metal of the reinforced toe, Rabon finds another rustcap mushroom.

Kind of a let down after the hammer...

What now?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon's swagger ebbs a bit with the mushroom. Well... We could eat it, at least. Anyone hungry still?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Marullus »

"I'd not consider it wholesome," replies Allric, "But I am curious to test it's properties.
I suspect it must have some use besides the simplistic potions admitted to."

He leads the way back to the tower to get some rest and to examine the prize book they've aquired. He slides it over on his invisible, floating shelf and calls over Aiofe and Berry to look at it with him. The exhaustion is plain on the old man's face - he removed his spectacles and rubs his temples as the letters swim in front of his eyes. He slides the book in front of Berry, mumbling, "...younger eyes and all that..."

If it's a Scholar test, let's push the roll to Berry? Can I cast Wisdom of the Sages on him?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#249 Post by Ludanto »

OOC
Unsafe Camp: [2d6+1] = 7+1 = 8
Minor Inconvenience: [1d6] = 6
Who?: [1d6] = 4

Unfortunately, WotS is self only.

This is another one of those weird tests.

Berry, Scholar, Ob1
Setting up camp in the tower, Berry finds a tear in the bottom of his backpack, and notes that the two small sacks he had in there are missing.

Frustrated, Berry pages through the tome. The text is a mystery to him, but the illuminations are fascinating.

Berry, Scholar, Ob1

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#250 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry, exhausted from the day, calls over Allric and Aoife to help. Mr. Allric, Miss Aoife,
I'M too tired to go through this alone, can you guys help with translation and proper form?
Berry also calls upon his connection to the Lords to assist in his comprehension

Scholar on 1 + exhausted
Scholar 2, 2D help, 1D for trait.
[1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 6 all successes yay!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by Marullus »

My intent was to do this in the Action phase, then set up camp (see OOC thread). Is that okay so we aren't using a Check for our adventuring-related action?

Also, can he cast Wisdom of the Sages on Berry? If not, he'll do it on himself as his form of help. Here's the roll -
you can assign and apply the Ob.

Arcanist 4D +1D Thoughtful:
Arcanist [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 4

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#252 Post by Ludanto »

Berry notices something familiar. In one illumination, there is an image of an anvil. On its face are five, ruby-red, teardrop shapes, much like the gem found earlier.

Aoife confirms the nearby text, which refers to the "healing spirit of the Blood of Tarog", who appears to be a more pleasant Dwarven Forge Lord, and the ritual required to activate it.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#253 Post by Ludanto »

Also, a folded page falls from the back of the book. It seems to be a (beautifully illuminated) scroll of "Sanctuary of the Lord of Shields".

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:My intent was to do this in the Action phase, then set up camp (see OOC thread). Is that okay so we aren't using a Check for our adventuring-related action?

Also, can he cast Wisdom of the Sages on Berry? If not, he'll do it on himself as his form of help. Here's the roll -
you can assign and apply the Ob.

Arcanist 4D +1D Thoughtful:
Arcanist [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 4
:?:

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#255 Post by Ludanto »

OOC
Oops. How did I miss this?

Poring over the book is a camp thing, so it would have needed a Check, regardless.

But Wisdom of the Sages is approved. Mandated, really, since Berry already used Allric's help.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Marullus »

Allric intones over Berry, the magical energy causing a chill as it goes through him. The young cleric's vision goes hazy, as if he is looking through they eyes of a ghost or another person. When he blinks them into focus, he finds he can read all the text of the book himself! Aiofe's translation confirms what he sees. Allric smiles as he sees the sense of wonder on the boy's face.

Thag asked if he could do a hunting test if the book was going to be in camp-phase. Can you allow him to do so?

Then Allric can do his elixir and Aiofe can fix something (Berry's torn backpack?).

Berry's test used one check, so we have one left. If That catches something, Rabon can cook it. Otherwise, I suggest we all eat preserved rations and then use the Check for Berry to recover from Exhausted.

Thoughts?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sounds good. If the Ob isn't too high, perhaps Thag can earn a check so both things can happen. Or Berry could try another cartography test depending on Galen's presence/activity.

For the record, it would be nice to be allowed to use that third turn prior to camping, as that was our intent.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#258 Post by Ludanto »

OOC
Marullus wrote:Thag asked if he could do a hunting test if the book was going to be in camp-phase. Can you allow him to do so?
Ai! This is one of those things I'm talking about. If he was going to go hunting, he should have gone hunting. It was suggested in passing, not even in the main thread.

But yes, I'm a sucker. We can assume he's out hunting in the wilderness, while you guys are setting up camp.

(Heck, if he can take a break to go hunting during the adventure phase, I'm probably doing something wrong anyway. ;))

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#259 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Hunting for two three portions of fresh game in the forest would be Obs 3. I have Hunter-2, but if I use Early Riser and tap my Running Nature I should have 5 dice
Last edited by BillTheGalacticHero on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:Hunting for two portions of fresh game in the forest would be Obs 3. I have Hunter-2, but if I use Early Riser and tap my Running Nature I should have 5 dice
Do any of the rest of the PCs have skills to offer help? If so, you could earn a check. ;)

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”