Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#221 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Aoife, Rabon, and I are all Health 5, so one of us should try it. We've all passed one Health check, so no-one is being left behind.

We should have 5D + 1D (one person helping). Being Hungry only affects a conflict, right? So we don't lose a die there. I'll make the roll unless Rabon or Aoife wants to do it.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#222 Post by jhrrsn »

I still have a ton of Rewards to use up, so I thought about using a trait to earn a check?

(Unless you had the same idea, which is totally cool!)
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#223 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Do you want to make the roll? Or should I. You hit the door low and I'll hit it high.

5D +1D help 1D to earn a check

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#224 Post by Ludanto »

Please keep in mind that Trait use, for or against yourself, should make sense. No "reaching".

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That's why Rabon didn't get a second check on how Health test. I couldn't see how Devil May Care or Rough Hands would affect that reasonably.

Edit: forgot to add that Rabon will sit this test out. He just took two tests in a row. Time to step out of the spotlight for a moment. If it's a Health test, anyone can offer help.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#226 Post by jhrrsn »

Okay, so I was thinking of using ‘Born of Earth and Stone’ against Aoife. She’s much more comfortable with the wonderfully inert stone and earth of her people than these stupid f***ing wooden doors that swell and jam at every possible opportunity!!

Hopefully that’s okay?

So 5D Health, +1D for Thag’s help -1D for the trait. If that’s not okay I’ll just roll another die after this lot and veto the check?

Aoife runs her fingers along the swollen wooden door, cursing mildly under her breath about the undesirable qualities of the surface-dweller’s favourites material. It swells, it shrinks, it rots, it burns. Why do these people insist on using such a flawed material so widely! Now, if this was a nice, smooth stone door that we could simple roll to one side...

[1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 4

Woop! Two successes. (And hopefully a check). Also is it crazy for Aoife to have a grudge against wooden doors? :P

With a heave, Aoife digs her strong fingers in and pulls at the door, using the lip to get leverage on the old wood.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#227 Post by Ludanto »

With a loud crack, the door finally gives way and opens, shattering an ancient wooden chair propped against it on the other side. The small room beyond smells deeply of dust and decay.

A stout form is doubled over on the floor, its hands hidden beneath its body, its dark hair covering its face. Small shards of broken glass are scattered on the floor nearby.

The moldering cushions on the stone bench and small table suggest that this might have been a waiting room.

jhrrsn, everything is fine. You might want to double-check the description of your traits, though. You're doing great. Don't let me worry you too much.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Marullus »

Berry? Cue you and your instincts!! :)

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#229 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry rushes over to the inert form and says By the lords of Life and Death may you still draw breath and he slowly turns the body over, checking for breathing and listening for a heartbeat.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#230 Post by Ludanto »

Berry turns the form over. It creaks with age as the mummified joints are jostled. It's a dwarf, long dead. Its dry, shriveled form clad in the garb of a blacksmith. In its hands, it clutches a brittle page to its chest. At its belt, an intricately crafted silver hammer, bearing an engraved image on the head.

What now?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#231 Post by jhrrsn »

What’ve you found there, Berenwald? Reckon he might be beyond saving? Aoife jabs.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon stifles a giggle.Yeah that feller's seen better days, fer sure. But his hammer might be worth saving. Let me take a look at that, will ya? Rabon looks the hammer over more closely, hoping he able to discern something about it's value.

with shrewd-appraisal-wise

Edit: just realizes we missed Thag's instinct, and he is one success from increasing scout. Can his instinct still be triggered since Berry only checked on the body? If so, Rabon's ation can wait u til after..

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#233 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I don't want to rewind, so I'll just check the next room.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#234 Post by Ludanto »

Remember, an Instinct isn't a special ability. It's just a situation in which you act quickly. The situation still has to come up.
While it's too late for Thag to "scout ahead", if there was anything to worry about, it would have already gotten you anyway.
Basically, "fiction first".

As for Rabon, I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but whatever.
That hammer is Weapon/Belt Hand/Carried 1 and worth 7D!

Rabon turns the hammer over in his hands and admires the quality. This isn't a weapon, or even really a tool. It's a work of art!

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#235 Post by Ludanto »

The party holds back while Thag approaches the room across the foyer. The door opens with relative ease, revealing a small cloakroom. The mote that keeps dashing from him to Allric and back makes it hard to see clearly, but there are no obvious perils, only rotting cloaks hanging on stone pegs set into the walls, and a pair of crusty leather boots in one corner.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Marullus »

Allric adds the hammer to his mystical floating platform, absently taking it from Rabon before they continue on. His real focus is on the sheet of parchment - he examines it carefully as the others look to the cloaks.

I assume Rabon will check the rooms before we leave?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#237 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

We still have that secret door in the room next to the wolves' lair. I would like to to check that one before we try the darkness behind the double doors.

Do we want to camp after checking the secret door? Then strategize for the double doors? Do we have enough Checks for damp?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Marullus »

Secret door? How did I miss that? Which post?

Edited: OMG!

So... We are two tests in, we have a few checks and can camp. We can only risk one more test before the grind.
If Rabon can confirm these rooms are good with an instinct check? Then we can either camp or we can risk a test going to peak through the secret door first. Thoughts?

Ludanto wrote:viewtopic.php?f=519&t=6827&start=20#p324552
Unfortunately, it has fallen a bit awkwardly behind the legs of the shelf and Thag has to move the shelf to get to it. Except that part of the east wall comes away with the furniture. A secret door!

Closing the door for now, he wrestles the crossbow out from under the shelf.]

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#239 Post by Ludanto »

OOC
New map HERE!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon proudly reveals his thoughts on the magnificent hammer, holding it for them to admire. He is taken aback when Allric snatches it and drops it carelessly on his floating disc. Hey, guy. Careful with that! It's worth more'n yer fancy book. Rabon picks it up, and sets it carefully in the center of the disc to be sure it won't get dropped by accident. As the group leaves, he cracks his knuckles and reassures everyone that he will make one more search of each room to be sure all items of value are claimed. As I always like t'say, "No shines left behind."

And then camp after he injures himself. :)

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”