Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#61 Post by Marullus »

Allric grouses about his congealed mess, but sligs it back anyway. He coughs and sputters, the espresso-colored drink alleviating his fatigue even as he kicks himself for brewing it so poorly. He is snappish to the others as they try to re-organize the party's gear.

Exhausted traded for Angry.

I will try to audit our gear situation when I get time later.
I'll keep that in our "session 0" thread.

Next up... Rabon cooks dinner? We have four hungry campers left to alleviate.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by Ludanto »

Going back over it, it would seem that there are three Checks available. Thag earned one scouting the wolf room, Allric earned one searching the desk, and Thag (sort of) earned another scouting the armory.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Marullus »

Unless someone feels otherwise, I think Rabon is cooking, then Thag tests Exhausted. The last check either Allric or Rabon removing Angry or Aiofe reading the book.
(At this juncture in the story, I am really hoping the book is useful, so I vote for that.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing the group of hungry faces, Rabon makes a show of getting out his cook pots and setting them over the fire, using stones to support them. I suppose you were planning to leave it to me to do the cooking, then? Whatever. No worries. Don't bother thanking me, either, I suppose. It is typical that none of them volunteer to fix dinner themselves... he's traveled with these sorts before.

What is the Ob for cooking? For the group?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#65 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I'd offer my rations for the group, but you know ... spiders...

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Ludanto »

Turning one thing of rations into enough food for the whole (or part of the) party is Ob3.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Marullus »

Alchemist and Laborer for help, so that's 1D each from Allric and Aiofe if you work it in.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by Ludanto »

If you use their help, make sure to describe how they help.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing Thag's sheepish grin did not lift Rabon's foul mood. And he continued grumping despite Aiofe fetching water for him and arranging large rocks around the fire to set the cook pots on. As the preserved rations simmered into a flavorless stew, Allric suddenly decided he was a grand chef and made some busy-bodied suggestions about herbs and spices (out of Rabon's supplies, mind you) that would help. Rabon wouldn't admit the creative suggestions were good ones.
Still, Rabon eventually decided there was nothing for it but to pour in the rest of the skin of wine he had been nipping on while cooking. In the end, the stew came off quite nicely, not that he was hungry anymore after the wine and force-feeding himself dry rations earlier With his appetite was ruined, Rabon scowled while the others ate the product of his labors.

Cook 2D +2D help (Allric and Aoife) +1D from wine =5D vs Ob3
Ob3 [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 2
good and bad. I would have liked the opportunity to explode those 6's.

Wine deducted, successful test marked. Everyone please remove hngry/thirsty.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Couldn't you spend a Fare point to reroll all the 6's?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I've scrubbed out my quiver as best as I can, using hot sand from the cook fire. That should sterilize any remaining spider eggs in it. Once it cools I can carry a ration of preserved food in it, and have room for one more small item. I can also carry your dagger in my pack, it does have a scabbard so it won't tear my pack, right?[/color]
I've wondered why we can't clip one item like a shield, a scabbard, or a quiver, to the outside of a backpack?

So I'm going to clipping the crossbow to my belt, and carrying naked steel in my hand.
If no-one has any objections, I am dead-tired and would like to take a nap, wake me up for third watch if I don't wake myself up. (My Early Riser trait)
I have two checks, I would like to use one, and then can give the other to someone else. To recover from Exhaustion is an Obs 3 Health test. My Health is 5, so a so-so chance, but I have Fate and Persona points (2 of each) to use if needed. I'll hold off rolling until we've finalized who gets to use the Checks though.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Marullus »

I think we are okay for you to go ahead and roll to recover from Exhausted.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Taking off my boots, I examine my socks, and mutter to myself that I need to fix a couple holes. Fining a clean spot on the floor I stretch out, wishing I had a pillow. Putting my straw hat over my eyes I soon fill the room with the sound of snoring.

Health roll: [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6

Four out of five, I'm rolling dice like a kid.

Waking up around 3:30 I feel almost as good as new. If Galen is awake (do elves sleep?), I'll chat with him about Scouting techniques, and ask how to say in orcish a certain word, so when I'm crossing blades with one, I can stare him in his beady little eyes, and call him Petunia".

Removing Exhausted from my list of conditions. I'll give my other Check to whomever needs it.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by Ludanto »

Everybody should be fed now.

With the two Checks one Check remaining, Rabon and or Allric could try to recover from Angry. Then you'd all be conditionless again.

But I'm not sure what other priorities you might have.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Marullus »

I think we used one Check for the cooking test and one for Thag recovering from Exhausted, which leaves us one Check for:
  • Allric Angry
  • Rabon Angry
  • Aiofe studying the Dwarven journal

I am okay skipping Allric and leaving him Angry in favor of the other two options. I would like Rusty to weigh in on his opinion between the other two. (Does he really want Rabon to calm down, or is he willing to take a risk that the journal offers some useful insight for this next adventure phase?)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I am fine with Rabon staying angry, by the way. So we can research the tome.
Allric pulls out the small tome with the latch, calling over Berry and Galen as he hands the book to Aiofe. "Let's see what we can learn, here."

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#77 Post by jhrrsn »

Aoife rinses out her bowl with some water and drinks down the dregs. Thanks for the grub, Rabon - I thought I'd be eating hardtack and dirt, so this is a right turn up! She takes the book from Allric, running her fingers along the strange cover. What do we have here, then?

I guess she's looking for information about what this place used to be like, why it's now ruined and perhaps what things of value or power may reside here still.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#78 Post by Ludanto »

Aoife settles in and begins to work her way through the pages. It's interesting stuff, and perhaps a little disturbing. It's a prayer book dedicated to Dorrask. It's not a name that she's familiar with, but from context, he seems to be a Lord of Toil and Suffering.

An inscription in the back reads, "Tarog is no longer worthy of our devotions. Only Dorrask can deliver us from the failings of King Garbold."

This isn't something that one finds often. It might be worth a few coins to a collector of historical documents.

To be clear, no test was needed. Value: 1-2D (to a collector). Pack 1

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#79 Post by jhrrsn »

Aoife thumbs through the old book, her eyes widening as the pages turn. Allric... Does the name 'Dorrask' mean anything to you? Or perhaps an old King, by the name of Garbold?
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Marullus »

Allric ponders the Lore and tales in his repetoire, also consulting Berry as a matter of theology.

Useful details on these names: Is it Loremaster or Theologian? Or is it no test?

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”