Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#21 Post by Marullus »

Sorry, forgot about the shield! He asks Galen to carry the small sack of mushrooms in his free hand for now.

Galen - we suspect the double doors hold the next big threat, so wanted to camp first. I am taking the chance that the small room to our east is more reasonable.

Marullus wrote: "Let us take a look in the chamber next door on our way back to the courtyard," says the tired looking wizard, "then we'll take some time in the tower to reassess."
Ludento - our stated action is already this. The next door to the east. Thag's instinct lets him go first to scout.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:Sorry, forgot about the shield! He asks Galen to carry the small sack of mushrooms in his free hand for now.

Galen - we suspect the double doors hold the next big threat, so wanted to camp first. I am taking the chance that the small room to our east is more reasonable.
Galen can't carry both the mushrooms and the gems unless we put them in the same small sack... Other than that, he is happy to carry a small sack for now.

Ok, let us check the small room first, and then we can check behind the double doors after we rest.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Ludanto »

I'm assuming the point of scouting ahead is to see monsters before they see you. As this is unlikely while lit up in the darkness, I'm also assuming that Thag is staying in the shadows and suffering the Dim Light penalty.

Thag inches out into the darkened hallway and carefully tries the door. It opens without resistance, and he peers inside to see old, cobweb-covered weapon racks and armor stands dominating much of the small, square chamber. What once must have been a well-tended armory is now empty of arms and armor.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

I believe Thag has room in his pack for the book, gems, and handaxe for now, if Galen is carrying the small sack of mushrooms.

Allric nods to the others. "Quiet is good.
See if anything interesting is within before we move on to rest."

Rabon gets a free test to search for loot. Anyone else that wants to jump in with an action, you may.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by Ludanto »

Rusty, are you having Rabon search for loot? How are you looking? Where? Are you turning things over? Tapping on stuff? Moving furniture? Anybody helping?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:I believe Thag has room in his pack for the book, gems, and handaxe for now, if Galen is carrying the small sack of mushrooms.
Ok, just to keep the book keeping honest, who's sack are the mushrooms in? I'll add the sack of mushrooms to my inventory.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Ludanto »

The mushrooms are not currently in a sack. You'll have to use one of your own sacks.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by ffilz »

Ludanto wrote:The mushrooms are not currently in a sack. You'll have to use one of your own sacks.
Ok, done

Noting the reduction in light, Galen says: Shall I light my lantern?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

I stated that Allric collected the mushrooms in his own small sack. I don't care whose sack gets used. If it isn't mine, I won't mark it off.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:By the way, as of the moment where Rabon starts searching the armory, the only light is one turn of Fireflies.
That's enough for the whole group to not be in darkness - three fully lit, three dim light. The instinct doesn't use a turn but if we trigger a turn, we need Galen's lantern or Berry's lantern (even if just for narrative) to reach the camp.

Allric keeps one mote in the hallway with him and any others, directing the other two inside the room with Rabon to ensure he can discern as he searches.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Ludanto »

Oh. You know, you might not want to wait for Rabon here. His instinct pings before leaving an area. If he loots it now, that's a turn.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:I stated that Allric collected the mushrooms in his own small sack. I don't care whose sack gets used. If it isn't mine, I won't mark it off.
Ok, fictionally then it makes more sense for your small sack to be used, I've put mine back and I'll let you mark one off

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ludanto wrote:Oh. You know, you might not want to wait for Rabon here. His instinct pings before leaving an area. If he loots it now, that's a turn.
:lol: As written, that is true.

If we haven't actually entered yet, I would suggest Thag use his instinct to scout the room for danger. Then, as we leave, Rabon will search for loot. Neither advances the grind, and both need to be solo tests (without help) because they are instincts. If this is a dead-end room, it might make a good place to camp. One test to make it more secure before camping, perhaps?

Rabon nudges Thag forward wtih a scowl. Go on if yer goin'. But don't go expecting me to help anymore after, what with you leaving to fend off that wolf on my own.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by Ludanto »

Thag inches out into the darkened hallway and carefully tries the door. It opens without resistance, and he peers inside to see old, cobweb-covered weapon racks and armor stands dominating much of the small, square chamber. What once must have been a well-tended armory is now empty of arms and armor. Two narrow windows sit high on the north wall, but there are no other exits, and no apparent threats.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Before entering the room I scan the walls, then the ceiling, then the floor.

Stepping into the room I re-examine the floor, dividing the room into quarters and checking each quarter.

Finding nothing of note, I begin to examine any objects in the room but I fear there is nothing useful in here.

Scout test
Scout (Exhausted) [Obs X+1]
3D

Scouting: [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5
Scouting: [1d6] = 2

Two successes, yeeha

I'm confident this room is empty, but if you would like to search too, be my guest. Should we try the other single door to the east, further down the hallway?
Last edited by BillTheGalacticHero on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Once Thag has check the room for danger, Rabon enters and peaks around too. Maybe we can use this room as a camp, he suggests.

What is Thag instinct to scout for, exactly? It seems like the intent was to look for danger (traps, monsters, etc.) I didn't think he was looking for loot, too. If so, my instinct is pretty useless. :oops:

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I think my Scout skill would look for large traps, monsters, etc, maybe finding large objects that may or may not be useful.

Probably not looking into cabinets, under things, in crevices, etc, etc to find small valuable things.

Finding secret doors is probably Dungeoneering.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto said we could still move safely back to the tower to camp; we already prepped that so I figure we might as well.

As far as Allric is concerned, we are 'leaving' to go to camp and Rabon's instinct can kick in before we walk away.

The next door to the east is broken and open, leading outside to the forest, I believe.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by Ludanto »

Thag goes about searching the room, disturbing the cobwebs and moving things around. The dust and the effort are doing nothing for his exhaustion. However, as he stops for a breather, he notices something sticking out from under a shelf. It's a crossbow!

Unfortunately, it has fallen a bit awkwardly behind the legs of the shelf and Thag has to move the shelf to get to it. Except that part of the east wall comes away with the furniture. A secret door!

Closing the door for now, he wrestles the crossbow out from under the shelf.

He's examining the crossbow for damage when the glowing motes of Allric's spell begin to fade, dropping the room into darkness...

What now?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Stifling a sneeze, I head back out into the hallway.

[cough, cough] I found a crossbow, but no bolts, and what appears to be a secret doorway into another room to the east. This room appears to have been the armoury, a secret room connected to it might hold more interesting items. Rabon, would you like to search that one?
If we can find some ammunition, (or does it come with some) then I could do some hunting for fresh food, unless Galen would like to use it. Do elves use crossbows?

Or we could sell it for cash when we get to town. It takes two hands to carry, so I can carry it. I have two empty slots in my pack, unless someone has taken my lantern and oil in which case I have more available.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”