Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#261 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I plan on earning a check. Survivalist or Laborer can help.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#262 Post by ffilz »

Galen can help with Survivalist.Galen will scout out likely game trails.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#263 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Galen... while Allric, Berry, and Aoife pore over their new scrolls and books, why don't we go hunting. We should be able to find some rabbits, or groundhogs, in the woods.
Rabon... since we don't gave a proper spear, I'd like to use the pole.

As we head out the woods I'll go over my plan.

Using your elfly skills, find a small-game trail, I'm looking for a rabbit warren. I'll position myself a few yards beyond it, then you use your skills to sneak up on the rabbits. Then make a noise to flush them out in my direction.

Before he has any objection about killing a small animal, I grimly cut him off: I know you Elves prefer a vegetarian diet, and do not want to see nature's creature suffer, but us human and dwarves, and the halfings, like a balanced diet with some proper meat in it. I promise I will try to do it quickly so it does not suffer.

Using Grim-visaged trait as a benefit.

Hopefully Galen's keen eyesight soon finds a rabbit warren. They should be relatively common around here. Alternatively, if we can find a grouse nest, we will flush the grouse, and I'll go for that while Galen gets the eggs. If we find a grouse nest, then we'll back off and I will get a branch to use like a baseball bat (unless the 10' pole we have is actually two 5' poles with a brass connector, in which case I'll use half the pole).

With the branch, or pole-half in hand, I circle around the warren or nest. Once in position a thought goes through my mind "This would b a lot easier with that crossbow".

I give a soft whistle as the signal that I'm in position.

Galen sneaks up to the warren/nest, and flushes the occupant. Gripping the branch/pole, I take a mighty swing as it passes my position. I'm hoping to hit it and break it's neck quickly. If not, I would chase after it if I could, if I had a Persona point I would use Nature: Running here to add three more dice.

Hunter 2D + 1D (Survivalist help from Galen) +1D (Grim-visaged Trait) vs Obs 2

Hunting roll: [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 3

Ugh, only one success. Would Exhausted be enough of a compromise?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#264 Post by Ludanto »

With Galen's help, Thag patiently follows the game trails and checks the few warrens and nests he finds, but no rabbits... or quail... or foxes... or... anything. Advancing a bit deeper into the woods as the sun lowers in the west behind him, Thag discovers where all of the animals went. In a dark tangle of trees is a collection of silk-wrapped animals, dangling from branches and webs. The wind picks up, the wrapped carcasses dancing like morbid wind-chimes, and Thag and Galen think that they can hear a scrabbling sound behind them, among the dark pines!

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#265 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Whispering, Galen, did you hear that? I think it's the spider, or its kin. Take this pole, use it to keep the attercop at bay, if it tries to rush you.

Loosening my sword in its scabbard, I also down my wine, to calm my nerves. By Mother Zinzu the Blessed, I needed that.

No longer Hungry and Thirsty

Let's see if we can get past it and back to the tower. I've got the lead, you've got my back with the pole to keep it at bay. I wish we had Aoife and her hammer here.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#266 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Galen, let's circle to the north, it's more open there, but be ready to climb a tree if we spit a wolf.

We go northward maybe 50-75 yards, then swing back towards the tower. Moving as quickly as we can but as silently as we can.

Which way is the wind blowing? If it's from any direction except from the south then maybe the wolves haven't scented us.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Marullus »

Allric chews on some dried rations as they examine the book at the campsite.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#268 Post by ffilz »

Seeing the wrapped animals, and hearing the scrabbling, Galen will whisper to Thag, "Let's get out of here, if we keep low and follow this game trail, we should be able to escape notice, watch how I walk carefully. Persona to tap Nature. I will listen to the trees for additional cues on where the scrabbling is coming from - drawing on Firstborn trait. Thag provides advice about direction and watches for wolves.

Mechanically Scout 2D + Nature 5D + Help 1D + Firstborn Trait 1D = 9D

[1d6] = 5,[1d6] = 6,[1d6] = 2,[1d6] = 1,[1d6] = 2
[1d6] = 2,[1d6] = 3,[1d6] = 2,[1d6] = 4

3 successes, I'l burn a fate to re-roll the 6:

[1d6] = 3

Net 3 successes.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#269 Post by Ludanto »

OOC Dashing quickly and quietly from bush to bush, Galen and Thag soon leave whatever was following them behind. The monastery's tower appearing through the trees is a welcome sight. The duo return to the camp to find the others poring over the large book.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Marullus »

We're kindly assuming everyone got to eat rations, and with the Grind everyone is now hungry again? I will subtract three rations for Thag, Aiofe, and Allric. This is now marked on the shared inventory sheet (-1 Thag's wine, -2 rations on Allric).
Ludanto wrote:Berry notices something familiar. In one illumination, there is an image of an anvil. On its face are five, ruby-red, teardrop shapes, much like the gem found earlier.

Aoife confirms the nearby text, which refers to the "healing spirit of the Blood of Tarog", who appears to be a more pleasant Dwarven Forge Lord, and the ritual required to activate it.
Ludanto wrote:Also, a folded page falls from the back of the book. It seems to be a (beautifully illuminated) scroll of "Sanctuary of the Lord of Shields".
The group finishes looking over the book as they set up camp. They find that Berry's backpack ripped and lost his small sacks. "Keep that scroll handy there, Berry. That might be helpful indeed, depending what we face in the chapel."

As they settle in for a bit of rest, Allric fusses with his case of unguents and ingredients, working on a relief to his and Berry's oppressive levels of exhaustion. He stares blankly at his case in the blaring glare of the motes and sighs heavily. Rubbing his eyes, he closes it, knowing he has little chance of making things better instead of worse. (3D vs Ob6 [Ob4 +1D Exhausted +1D for the Motes]? We'll skip the failure on his instinct this time.)

"Aiofe, perhaps you can mend Berry's backpack? Lets not lose more gear..." he comments aside. (Instinct applies?) Then he turns to Rabon, "I think we're all a bit famished. Galen has the fresh rations, if you could make something paletable?"

While Rabon cooks, Allric sits aside and memorizes his spells. (Mystic Porter, this time.)

(1 check spent on the book, only 1 check remaining. Since Thag/Galen triggered the Grind, we need to cook food. Allric and Berry both remain exhausted, which is bad news as we go into the Chapel conflict.)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#271 Post by Ludanto »

No sooner does Allric put away his tools, than the motes finally blink, one by one, out of existence, dropping the room into blessed darkness.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Marullus »

errrrrr.... Into campfire light? Camp is assumed lit, right?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#273 Post by Ludanto »

... until his eyes adjust to the campfire's more normal glow.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon agrees with the rumbling stomachs near him. Yeah. Definitely hungry! I'll get to cookin'. He pulls out a ration and calls on the help of Aoife (to help make a bed of coals) and Allric (for guidance on spices and measurements) again.

Cook 2 +2D help = 4D vs Ob2 (fresh rations)
Ob3 vs [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 1
Fate to reroll 6 [1d6] = 3
Edit: Passed test and no Fate used.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Marullus »

Why are you assuming Ob 3? We have two fresh rations available, which are Ob 2. You're not exhausted and the motes went out, so there aren't any currently-known penalties.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:Why are you assuming Ob 3? We have two fresh rations available, which are Ob 2. You're not exhausted and the motes went out, so there aren't any currently-known penalties.
Right. I didn't have the rules handy when I rolled that, so I used my previous roll as a template for the Ob. I guess I passed and didn't use a Fate point.
Thanks for the reminder. Post amended.

Rabon ladles out hot stew for his companions, serving himself last. We had just enough flour to make a few dumplings for each of us. He drones on through the meal how he might use his share of the loot to open a tavern.I could make soups like this for weary travelers.
Maybe find a wife what could clean the rooms and serve folks. An' I'd have a big barrel of Nut Brown Ale on tap all the time.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#277 Post by jhrrsn »

I’ll try and mend Berry’s backpack, if that’s okay?

You’re pretty good at this cooking lark, Rabon. Not sure you’d ever find a woman who’d put up with you though...

Looking at Berry’s tattered bag, she exclaims.

Bloody hell Berenwald, I’m not your wet nurse. What’ve you done to your bag, you stupid bugger! Give it here, there’s no sense having your rations spill out everywhere - you'll only be begging for everyone else’s then...
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

jhrrsn wrote:I’ll try and mend Berry’s backpack, if that’s okay?

You’re pretty good at this cooking lark, Rabon. Not sure you’d ever find a woman who’d put up with you though...

Looking at Berry’s tattered bag, she exclaims.

Bloody hell Berenwald, I’m not your wet nurse. What’ve you done to your bag, you stupid bugger! Give it here, there’s no sense having your rations spill out everywhere - you'll only be begging for everyone else’s then...
Wow. You just won my Embodiment vote! :lol:

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#279 Post by jhrrsn »

Aoife unceremoniously dumps the contents of Berry’ bag onto the floor and sits down to begin working on the tear.

Please, please tell me if I’m ever being too mean to poor Berry!

Peasant is Beginner’s Luck, so Health 5D divided by two, rounded up. So 3D. I think I’m all good regarding conditions?

[1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 6 = 3 successes.

Looking good!
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#280 Post by Ludanto »

Aoife stitches Berry's pack up, good as new!

And, unless somebody has another camp instinct to use, that's the session.

Please engage in post-session reward shenanigans (in the OOC thread, I assume).

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”