Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#81 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon nods to Aoife when she thanks him for the soup. As he hears the others talking about the book, he offers, Hey Galen. Your an elf. Don't elves always like to talk about how much they know because they live a long time, right? Have you heard of these guys?

I was just perusing the character sheets and noticed Galen has scholar and loremaster. Perhaps it's time for our elf to take the center stage! :)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by Ludanto »

Allric searches his memory for King Garbold, but that's Dwarven history and a bit outside of his wheelhouse.

Will Berry be offering any insight into Dwarven religion?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Marullus »

If it doesn't require a roll, can you provide the correct reveal to the correct PC? If it requires a roll, what is it so the correct PC can roll?

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#84 Post by shroomofinsanity »

So I would like to offer my theologian services as requested. This also goes towards my learning about the Dwarven faith

Berry walks on over to the intent conversation over the book and as he is still trying to get on the dwarf's good side. Hey, uh, if you would like I could try and make sense of any religious text in that book. If you read me the passages, I can compare it against what I know of the Lords and maybe find a connection.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by Ludanto »

Sorry. Still getting the hang of this, and got caught up in minutiae.

Asking amongst the group, nobody can recall information about a King Garbold.

Berry, on the other hand, upon hearing the name Dorrask and a couple of prayers, remembers tales of a dark Dwarven Lord of Toil and Suffering, embraced by some Dwarves in the old days at the height of Dwarven decadence.

At least, that's what he had heard.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#86 Post by jhrrsn »

Toil and suffering, huh? It's a shame little Berry here knows so little of such things! she jibes.

How delightful, though. A temple dedicated to sh*t times. she says, sardonically.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#87 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Oh... dark realization beginning to dawn on him. This is one of the evil Lords my mentor told me about. He is very bad news, or at least his followers are. I hope we don't meet any of them down here.

And hey, I worked plenty to earn these clerical powers and knowledge, just because my work isn't as manual as some doesn't make it less hard.
Berry retorts rather pitifully.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Marullus »

Is Tarog a more mainstream diety? Also known?

"Well, that is certainly more interesting than mushrooms," ruminates Allric. "A good clue to what we will find in that chapel where the wolf encountered darkness." He looks at Thag and Galen. "It seems you might get to face your true evil forces. Need you do anything to prepare?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

From his bed roll, Rabon adds his two cents. Sounds pretty dry to me. Unless there're chalices or other valuables laying around still...

Unless there's something else to do, Allric or Rabon should try and get rid of the angry condition. Rabon is 3D vs Ob2. He might get lucky and roll a 6 though, and get to spend a Fate. But Allric has a much better chance. Group preference?

For what it is worth, I would suggest we have Allric do the test, then spend 3 turns in the tower, enhancing it by finding potable water, boarding up windows/sealing off the hatch, building a trap, finding materials for crossbow quarrels, etc - earning checks as we do so. Then camp again, using the checks for Rabon to try to lose angry (with an elixer from Allric), and then Aoife can try to produce a few quarrels.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Marullus »

After the retort to Aiofe, Allric comments more quietly aside to Berry, unable to contain his irritability after quaffing the nasty-thick elixir, "While I'm sure your church took great pains to tell you about the evil deities of the dwarves, it is best you recognize that this chapel is an anomaly, rather than the norm, and that you don't irritate Aiofe further regarding her murdered family."

Allric then turns back to the group. "Berry's hard won knowledge of heritical dwarven sects might come in useful. Tell us what you can of them, Berry, and if there is any advantage we can glean to aid us against what might be in that chapel."

If Rabon wants to defer, I'm okay trying for recovery. I'll hold before doing so in case there is a requirement that one of the tests below be a Camp instead of Adventure test.

I feel too cheap just staying in camp perpetually, under the guise of fixing up the tower. I think we've pushed that as far as we can.

I do think there's merit in preparing for the adventure ahead, though. Is it okay with the GM if we use the Adventure phase to:
  • Do a Theologian test to determine what Berry knows about this sect that might provide weakness/advantage?
  • Do Test(s) to prepare ways to take advantage of that? (If it is light, I can make pyrotechnics as a weapon. If it is weakness to a precious metal, Aiofe could forge a knife blade from coins. Etc.) We'd hope for bonus dice in the upcoming conflict and/or special weapons for the conflict.
  • If that doesn't work, we can check the side rooms for any further research materials that will help us, return and camp if necessary afterwards (we have a usable map now), then enter the room after next camp.

I see this as our A-Team montage moment. :)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by Ludanto »

Berry recalls also the name Tarog. Tarog is the counterpoint, a Dwarven Forge Lord. Both are little known now, blending into the mostly faceless and nameless Pantheon of the Lords of Light and Darkness.

The sect died out ages ago. Even if they remained, Berry can discern no weaknesses to exploit that aren't common to all Dwarves.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Marullus »

Oh well. :( Worth a try.

I'm out of ideas. I suggest that we recover from Angry, ending the camp phase, then go check the layout of the southern hallway, exploring side-rooms first.

This is a good roleplay moment, though, with Aiofe able to react to the revelation of ACTUAL evil dwarven religion and Thag and Galen able to respond and/or prepare to the confirmation of actual evil ahead of us for them to combat. I don't want us to rush past that.

We need to handle equipment before we break camp - I'll go do that on the "Session 0" thread to not clutter up here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Marullus »

Allric passes the box of whetstones and oils that comprise the weapon cleaning kit to Thag. "Prepare yourself, warrior. You'll face whatever is behind those doors soon enough."

Per the other thread, you state you use this now in camp and you'll get +1D with your Fight skill during the adventure phase.
Last edited by Marullus on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by Ludanto »

Marullus wrote:Per the other thread, you state you use this now in camp and you'll get +1D with your Fight skill during the adventure phase.
Confirmed.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Zzzzz, <varius other snoring noises>

I'm still "recovering" from Exhaustion the only way a 17-yr old (my character's age, which also happens to be my son's age), by sleeping. The main reason I haven't chimed in.

Zzzz, *snort*, *cough*, Huh? What?

I'm ok taking the whetstone, is it a free item to use just before a battle, or do I use it now and remember that I did?

Continued in out-of-char thread ...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Marullus »

GM - can we assume Thag accurately hones his sword with the kit so we can end camp?

As Thag snores, Rabon looks angry, and Aiofe enjoys the wine-infused stew, Allric sulks off a to the side of the camp, absently drawing sigils in the grimy floor with his wizarding staff. Ungrateful, disorganized, ragtag group, he foments, its like I have to do everything myself. The werewolf bows to my will, but this group still is like a gaggle of children! ...And his snoring! The more his ruminations bolster his anger, however, the more they niggle at the back of his conscience. The fourteenth axiom is 'A wizard circumscribes his emotions and keeps them within due bounds.' He sighs as the thought forces its way through into the forefront of his mind. You're making yourself an easy mark, Allric. Your weapon is your mind, and you are disarmed. Don't be gullible yourself. With a heavy sigh, now more irritated at himself than the others, he settles in to perform the set of focused meditations that his Order taught him in his first years of arcane study. Sitting crosslegged on an old crate, he murmurs his mantras until he regains control of himself.

Recovering from Angry is an Ob2 test against B6 Will.
Angry 1/2 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4
Angry 2/2 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 2
Spend a Fate... (Gullible Mark-wise)
"ah ha!" [1d6] = 4
That's two successes.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by Ludanto »

Be careful you don't pull a muscle stretching like that.
;)

Anyway, yes, Thag has sharpened his sword, using up the kit.

Camp ends. What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:This is a good roleplay moment, though, with Aiofe able to react to the revelation of ACTUAL evil dwarven religion and Thag and Galen able to respond and/or prepare to the confirmation of actual evil ahead of us for them to combat.
Still hoping people grab those RP opportunities. :) Also everyone can wrap up Gear on the other thread.

As the next morning dawns on the group, Allric leads them back along their route across the courtyard, past the armory and wolf den, and now around the corner into the southern hallway. With Thag still looking ahead, he checks the condition of the southern hallway (the eastern one being much less intact that desired) so they can consider side rooms. Also, taking the chance to peek out through the double doors at what might remain in the area of the crumbled stable.

Fill out the map for us, please?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#99 Post by jhrrsn »

Walking alongside Allric, Aoife thinks aloud - I can't believe these dwarves were stupid enough to worship a 'Lord of Toil and Suffering'. I mean, imagine what the pamphlet looks like for such a deity... "Come for the Toil, stay for the Suffering", she snorts. Isn't there enough of that crap already in life, without glorifying some batsh*t old dwarf?

Pausing for a moment, she runs her fingers along her mother's torc and wonders if this Dorrask might have an opinion about the suffering of a certain dwarf-hating clergyman...
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon packs up his belongings and readies himself to move out. Still harboring resentment, he does so with little talking to the group. When he sees Thag struggling to figure out what to do with his lantern, Rabon breaks his silence. We've got two already. And some torches, so we're prob'ly fine without. But if you're leaving it, don't take chances. Wrap it in some rags and put it inside a crate so it don't get broke. He also offers Thag the 10' pole again. Yer less likely to get s'prised by a trap if you poke things with this first. No sense in me carrying it if yer always goin' in first.

As they cross the courtyard, he mentions that the group has found enough in these ruins to break even. We can sleep an' eat comf'terbly in town, but not much else. Let's see what else we can get from this ruin.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”