Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

#1 Post by Ludanto »

You're here!

Thag the Strider, Aoife the Dwarf, Allric the Magician, Berenwald the Cleric, Rabon the Thief and... the Elven Ranger.

Despite having no better directions than "on the far side of the Umberwood", you've managed to find the place in less than a day, though the nearby mountains to the west promise an early evening.

A chilly breeze blows the tall grasses and thorny brambles surrounding the ruined, Dwarven monastary, whose worn stones have weathered the test of time rather well. It maintains both floors and most of its shale-shingled roof, though cracks and rubble reveal that it's losing the battle

The main building forms an angle, and walls connect to a tower in the corner to complete the square courtyard, which stands in shadow.

From the front, from the clearing's edge, you can see that the main doors to the courtyard have fallen. Also, lumpy stone forms flank the entrance. To the left of that entryway is the main structure, with a pond of sorts pooled at one corner of its base. To the right, the tower. Narrow windows sit high on each wall.

Somewhere, in the distance, a wolf howls.

What now?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

#2 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

My instinct is to always fill up canteens whenever I find potablee water, so I'll check the pond to see if it is suitable. Or is it just a muddy puddle?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

(Okay, so Thag's instinct gets him a free survival test to see if it is potable and needs to make it without help because it is an instinct. He needs to describe what he does, though, and Ludanto tells us if it triggers some worse conflict. :) Right?)

Allric sigh as he looks over the decrepit ruin, tugging absently at the left side of his mustache as he pokes the lumpy stones on either side of the courtyard entrance with his staff.

He comments in a droll tone, "Home sweet home, it seems. I imagined the Dwarven ruin to be... Well, less towers and more tunnels. Tell me, Ms. Aiofe, where would a dwarf begin exploring such a dwarven ruin?"

He peers up at the slit windows and frowns, adjusting his pointy hat. "Berry, what do you know of Dwarven religion... And their monestaries?"

As Thag checks the pool of water and Allric takes a closer look at the lumpy rocks, he suggests others watch the windows and look for anything else of interest.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Ludanto »

Peering at the lumps from across the clearing for several minutes doesn't reveal anything new.

Allric, do you want to walk through the thick, waist-high grass to approach the shapes (and the entrance between them)?

Also, Thag's canteens are already full.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I know everyone's canteens are full, but I do want to check to see if this is a clean water source in case we need water later.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry looks over the once great structure, just another reminder of how the world is nothing like he imagined it.

He does however hope that there will be clues here somewhere that will lead him closer to Trevor, though if it's anything like the last several run down vaguely religious husks he had encountered, it would be unlikely.
So at first my goal will relate to finding trevor clues, though if and when that fails, I will choose a more pragmatic goal. Berry still believes in story books and how the hero is led to the "villain"

To Allric, Berry replies with a worried and uncomfortable glance towards Aiofe I um... was only told fairly...unbecoming things back home about the rituals and practices of non-humans. The last word Berry stumbles over slightly, as if he is unused to the term.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by jhrrsn »

Aoife pretends not to hear Berenwald and surveys the ruins.

Is it worth me using Scholar to see what I know about this place? I'm also Dwarven-Chronicles wise! Otherwise I can wait till we're further in.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Good dwarf - What are the lumpy stones? Just piles of rock, or ancient decayed statues, or magical gate guardians?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

I figure Allric can do a Lore Master test, which allows you to use Dwarven Chronicles and for Scholar to help from the others. Neither of those can test directly. We want to do one big test all together, because separate tests advance the turn counter towards bad consequences.

Before we can get a closer look at the rocks and poke them with the staff, Ludanto says our challenge is crossing the tall grass. Since Thag is our scout and also is crossing to check the water out (a free test with the instinct), I want to let him have first chance at that.

If he gives up on the water test, then we can all help him with whatever challenge is in the grass, but it potentially uses a turn.

TLDR: We need Thag to say how he's crossing the grass, and then we react to what Ludanto throws at us.
Last edited by Marullus on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

If I use my instinct to just go check the water then there shouldn't be any test, but I guess our "evil" GM could throw something at me.

I could use my Scout-3 and anyone with Pathfinder or Hunter could help by watching from a distance alerting me to any movement in tye grass anywhere near me.

If it's a trap, something man-(or other sentient)-made thing then I could use my Wise to try to avoid it. If it's something natural, like a venous snake in the grass, then I accept it or fight it and possibly earn a check?

Most natural animals should be frightened away if I use my walking stick to prod and sweep the grass in front of me as I go, but that will make noise, possibly alerting something else.

Or, if our GM is feeling generous, he could rule that using a walking stick to probe the tall grass is a "Good Idea", and let us cross it with no test at all.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:If I use my instinct to just go check the water then there shouldn't be any test, but I guess our "evil" GM could throw something at me.
The purpose of an Instinct isn't usually to avoid a test, but to get you a free one. You want to do the Survivalist check when checking the water because that's how the skill advances.

So, Thag is describing that he is crossing the grass, sweeping with his pole to help check for traps and ambushes.

Is that good enough, Ludanto?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Ludanto »

Thag moves carefully across the clearing, sweeping the tall grass with his pole, until he reaches the water's edge. The water is still and stagnant, with an oily sheen. Clumps of yellow spores float lazily on the surface. This is obviously not the water that you're looking for.

Crickets begin to chirp in the tall grass.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

Allric leads the others across, following Thag to the courtyard. He examines the stones/statues, prodding them with his stick while he continues the conversation with Berry and Aoife.

Anyone else want to jump in?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Ludanto »

Approaching the entrance, the figures resolve as two statutes. The one on the left is mostly rubble, but the one on the right remains intact. Though obscured by vines and leaves, you can make out the shape of a Dwarf holding aloft a mighty hammer of impressive size. You also notice the two great doors to the gate lying askew on the ground between the statutes.

From the tower roof, a large, black bird caws at you accusingly.

What now?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#15 Post by jhrrsn »

Aoife looks up at the statue, feeling the heft of her own warhammer in her hands.

Are there any noticeable features about the statues other than the hammer? Does Aoife recognise any symbols or signs on the stonework?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Ludanto »

The vines and foliage that envelop the statue obscure any detail.

Are you pulling the vines away? Cutting them or something?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

I would say that falls under "poking them with my stick." I will see if I can part the vines with the end of my staff.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Ludanto »

Trying to get the job done with the end of a walking stick takes longer than it should, but it gets the job done. Eventually, you can see the Dwarven form in detail. At its base is runic script. Aoife can read "All hail...". The remainder had been defaced. The statue itself is dressed in the style of the great Dwarvish kings.

What now?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by jhrrsn »

This statue is entirely stone, right? Just to clarify.

To be sure - this man was a king, friends.
Aoife makes the appropriate signs of deference and respect for the Dwarven king.
Right then, shall we get going lads?

Aoife makes her way cautiously between the two statues.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Looking at these statues and really taking it all in, Berry is just starting to realize that maybe at least the ancient dwarves had a complex and important religious side.

He thinks maybe he might start learning about this old faith, and so he asks Aoife So what do you know about the beliefs of your ancestors?

I'm thinkingBerry might start scribbling little notes here and there and eventually make either a theologian test to have comprehension or a scholar test to maybe write the finished product coherently.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”