Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

#41 Post by Ludanto »

For the record, unless people come up with something clever, three people could try to force the door at once, but not more than that.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I vote for trying the door, and if that doesn't work then the window.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

If a kick to the door doesn't work we could check the ruined stables for a solid beam to use as a ram. Does our nimble-fingered friend want to examine the door before we go drastic though?

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#44 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I tend towards more direct approaches,
I say let's push through that door, I'm willing to help if needed. I want to know if someone or something is hurt on the other side of this door.
Berry prepares to face whatever is on the other side of the door.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#45 Post by jhrrsn »

That's fine time for bed anyway :)

I think we'll be here for a while if we try to kick the door down... If we can wedge these spikes in though, we should be able to get some leverage..
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Marullus »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:Sorry, you did say you were elderly, and my character is 17, so of course he thinks you're probably frail and can't climb.
He is happy to perpetuate that stereotype if it means he isn't expected to climb ropes. :)

Dang, though! You guys are doing a lot of posts in a day!
:lol:

"A noble sentiment, young Berry, but a fair maiden in need of rescue and aid is likely the last thing we'll find within THIS tower," Allric smirks. "I agree we best address the tower before going in the manor, Thag. Let us open the door so we can both enter... AND leave, if needed." He gestures to the door with a dramatic flourish. "Miss Aiofe, if you will. Applying your family's wisdom to the stuck wood seems appropriate, with Thag and Berry's help, perhaps."

The wizard tips his pointy hat to them and takes a step back, clearing out of the hammer swinging zone and leaning casually on his staff.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Ludanto »

Well, that's at least half, which is good enough for me.

First test!

I'm making the assumption here that you are using the spikes to loosen the door from the frame and, as a group, taking a few steps back and throwing yourselves bodily at the door.

Aoife is lead with Health 5, +1d for Fresh, +2d for Help, +1d for Iron Spikes for 9d total.

The Obstacle is 2.

I can't think how Aoife's traits would work against her here, but this would be a gimme.

Unless there's something I'm missing, roll for it, jhrrsn!

(Die #7 is Thag and die #8 is Berry, if you're tracking how much help they'll be. :) )

Ugh. You've probably discovered that there's a 6 die limit. Dumb.

(If you have any questions, let me know.)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Marullus »

Where are you seeing a six die limit?

There's usually a way to use the trait against yourself for the check. In this case, "Preparing to pound the iron stake into the door wood, Aiofe is overcome by the memory of her Father being staked to the wooden post before the clergy burned him... She steels herself and presses on...". Scarred is useful anytime she can link to PTSD flashbacks.(Each flashback, in turn, reveals a little more of the story and how much of a jerk Berry's dad is. :) )
Last edited by Marullus on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Ludanto »

Clever!

Anyway, if I try to roll:

Door Smash:[1d6],[1d6],[1d6],[1d6],[1d6],[1d6],[1d6],[1d6],[1d6]

I get some kind of server error.

We might have to use rolz.org or something.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#50 Post by jhrrsn »

Yeah it'd be great to use a trait against herself, but this feels very much in the Dwarven wheelhouse! Her 'Scarred' trait is more emotional than physical I think.

I also have to roll for the number of spikes used (d6) and recovered (d6-1).

[1d6] = 4
[1d6] = 6-1

Woop! None lost. Onto the main event...
[1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 5
[1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 5
(had to roll twice as I got an error trying to roll 9!)
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Marullus »

oh, for the die roller, just roll in groups of five [1d6]
at a time.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Marullus wrote:Where are you seeing a six die limit?

There's usually a way to use the trait against yourself for the check. In this case, "Preparing to pound the iron stake into the door wood, Aiofe is overcome by the memory of her Father being staked to the wooden post before the clergy burned him... She steels herself and presses on...". Scarred is useful anytime she can link to PTSD flashbacks.(Each flashback, in turn, reveals a little more of the story and how much of a jerk Berry's dad is. :) )
I posted the same question in the OOC thread

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Ludanto »

The door swings open with a loud "crack", that echos inside the tower and the yard behind you.

In the dim light that filters through the windows, you can see that thick webs cover much of the ancient crates and barrels stored inside the base of the tower and on the collapsed shelves that lined the walls. There is no second floor, being open to the area below, but a rickety wooden staircase ascends along one wall to reach an open trapdoor to the third floor.

It seems very quiet in here now.

What now?

(Don't forget to log your tests.)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

<Whispering>Do you think that thump was that trap door being opened?

I raise my hand to signal quiet, then motion to the Elf to find out if he can hear anything upstairs.

<Whispering> Who wants to go upstairs? Who or what ever it is knows we are here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

Turn 1. [3 more to Grind, 8 more in Session]

Allric nods simply, acknowleding the success of Aiofe and the others efforts in securing access to the room. The old wizard steps forward to look at the dim room.

"Let us see what is hiding here, hmm?" he says, waving his hand with a flourish and with the tone of a polished performer. He blows gently across his fingertips and three glowing Motes of light, each pulsing and luminescent, a ball about six inches across, roll off his fingertips and dance in the air before him to the rhythm of his tapping finger. "One, two, three... Reveal all that is within to me!" he says confidentiality to the Motes, then sends them within, causing them to zip around the barrels and crates, up to anything hanging, and illuminating each shadowy hiding place in turn.

Magic is an instant, no advance of the grind. Three motes (each giving light as a candle- Full light for one/dim light for one) lasting to the grind (when hopefully we'll camp); Ob 4.
Arcanist +Fresh [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Who wants to try the steps? Do they look study enough to support our weight?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto:
Sorry, Ludanto. I whipped off an update while busy and between activities and wasn't thinking. I totally was a turd, going ahead with the roll without asking. I figured magic was pretty rote (no pun intended), but it is still a big faux pas. If you have any Evil GM factors that raise the Ob and cause a failure, that's fine. Or if you want me to re-roll after adjusting it, that's okay, too. If you're okay with me expediting when casting in the future, just say so.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Ludanto »

Allric's magical motes flit about the large storeroom, dancing from crate to shelf to beam to stone. Everything is covered in abnormally thick webbing.

Test two!

Allric rolls Scout. He's still Fresh.

This will be a Versus test, versus 5 dice.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Good luck!

(Don't worry about the spell. It's not like you weren't going to have to roll for it, there were unlikely to be factors, and keeping things moving is good.)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I have Scout-3, so I can throw in a die, or do the test with help from Allric's magic if that would give a better chance. Anyone else with Scout, Pathfinder, or Hunter could help. If I don't do the test myself I could use my Trap-Detecting-Wise to add a die but insulate myself from any twists or conditions.
Last edited by BillTheGalacticHero on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by Ludanto »

Cool. Allric needs to make the test, but Thag is totally helping him peer into the dark recesses of the tower.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”