Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

#61 Post by Marullus »

Yikes! Allric is moving the lights to shine light and perhaps flush something, but he's a bespectacled old man... He relies on the eyes of his younger companions for spotting such things. :oops: Can he defer the Scout test to Thag or Rabon with their better eyes, or is it stuck on him because of his showiness? I hold little hope for a base of 2D vs Ob 10...

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ludanto wrote:Cool. Allric needs to make the test, but Thag is totally helping him peer into the dark recesses of the tower.
Before we go further the party leader should decide who is going to take the test. If Allric tests he would have to use Beginner's Luck - I don't think he has Scout. So he would only get 1/2 of his Health in dice, and that's only 1D. My help or Wise would make it 2D. Plus Fresh and any other help. But he might want the test to begin to gain the Scout skill.

If I did the test I would get a minimum of 4D (3D from skill, +1D from Fresh, then maybe +1D from Allric's magic lights, then anyone else who can help). If I failed I could use my Wise with a Fate or Personna to reroll a failed die, or all dice, or just earn a Check by using my Early Riser trait against me - I could be a little tired from getting up at 0-dark-thirty, and missed something.

I'm doing that correctly I hope.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Marullus wrote:Yikes! Allric is moving the lights to shine light and perhaps flush something, but he's a bespectacled old man... He relies on the eyes of his younger companions for spotting such things. :oops: Can he defer the Scout test to Thag or Rabon with their better eyes, or is it stuck on him because of his showiness? I hold little hope for a base of 2D vs Ob 10...
The GM said it was vs a 5, not as bad but still bad. It's a vs test so we just need more successes that our "opponent".

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Ludanto »

Alas, Allric "volunteered", so he gets all of the fun.

I realize it was unintentional,
but it still feels like the right call.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#65 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry unfortunately has no real way to help :-/

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Doesn't it say somewhere in the rulebook "Never volunteer". :lol:

I will use my Scout to add a die, Rabon has Scout so he can add a die if he wants. Elf Rangers also have Scout, so he could help if he wants. So you could be up to 5D or 6D if the magic lights count.

You could use a Persona point and tap your Nature, use Boasting to say something "I can do this, I read about it in a book."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Marullus »

That's fine - it plays to his Belief. Can he get a +1D from the light motes?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by Ludanto »

Sort of. No extra die, but the lights actually cancel the Dim Light factor. Also, if Berry doesn't have Scout he can help with Will.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ludanto wrote:Sort of. No extra die, but the lights actually cancel the Dim Light factor. Also, if Berry doesn't have Scout he can help with Will.
I was wondering if he could help, because I thought you had to have the skill, but then I read that for a Beginner's Luck roll you can help with Health, Will, or Nature, if appropriate. I guess he's acting as a cheering section. "Go dude, you got this!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Holy cow. I can't even catch up on this thread without falling behind as I read! You are all a bunch of machines!

Rabon follows the others through the splintered door, nodding approvingly. He would have crawled through the window, but likes the easy escape path better. As his friend starts to move forward to scout the area, Rabon sighs, knowing the old man for a showman. And showboat, he muses. He places a hand on Allric's shoulder and passes him the 10' pole. Remember to prod the floor boards and treads well before you step on them. And look for signs that the dust has been disturbed recently.

+1D of help. +1D for the 10' pole. If Allric accepts them. Marullus could just take the failure and a check...

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

If we assume the Elf helps with his Scout then you should be up to 7D

1D for Beginners Luck, +1D for Fresh, +1D from Thag, +1D from Rabon, +1D from using the pole, +1D from the Elf, +1D from Berry cheering him on

If think all you need to do is roll more Successes than the GM with his 5D

Since I Helped I could not use "I am Wise", but if you fail the roll I could possibly use "Deeper Understanding" or "Of Course!" to allow you to reroll some dice.
Last edited by BillTheGalacticHero on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Marullus »

Allric realizes inwardly that has perhaps exceeded the bounds of wisdom as he steps through first, but he shows no hesitation. His showman's demeanor commands the group's attention and he directs their gaze to each hiding spot in turn, spinning the floating Motes artfully through the air to flush or reveal whatever might be hiding in the corners or webs. His approach is thoughtful and meticulous, revealing each location in a careful pattern so that none might be missed. True to Rabon's suggestion, he is careful to poke ahead with his long knobby staff before daring each step as they move gingerly to check the space, the floating lights moving ahead of them. "Be ready, lads," he intones sonorously, "for your sharp eyes and ready blades may be needed at any moment! Surely, whatever hides within would be wise to reveal itself voluntarily, lest I be forced to bring my, and your, might to bear..." He spins and flares the Motes dramatically for effect as he says this, before returning to their work.

Okay, it roots off of Will, not Health. First we total the ability, wises, help, supplies, and gear, divide and round up.
I am going to expedite with the "assume you all help" policy mentioned on the OOC thread. Thad, Aiofe, Rabon, and Elf all have Scout skill, Berry helps with Will.

Will 6D + 5D Help +1D pole = 12D /2 = 6D
+1D Fresh +1D Thoughtful Trait = 8D total

Allric Scout (1/2) [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5
Allric Scout (2/2) [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2

4 Successes. If that doesn't win, I will spend the Fate to re-roll that 6.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by Ludanto »

Nature 5: 2, 3, 5, 4, 5 (3 successes)

As the group moves forward into the room, the little lights dart about at Allric's command, lighting up the shadowy corners of the room. It is only by chance that, as one of the lights crosses from one recess to another, several of the party spot eight brief twinkles on the left wall. Urgent, hissed whispers from his companions direct Allric to push the light back to the center, clearly revealing a hairy, eight-legged monstrosity perched on the wall. The huge spider, the size of a large dog, tenses as the light reveals it, then with a chittering hiss, it raises its forelegs and waggles them aggressively!

What now?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#74 Post by jhrrsn »

I bet you're glad we got that door open now, right? Aoife whispers, with a nervous laugh.

Aoife packs her spikes away and is ready with her hammer.

Allric, are you able to keep yer fairies on that beastie? We need to make sure we don't lose sight of it...

If we have a conflict with this thing, is that our third turn?
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I think it does count as our third conflict. I'm glad I dropped my pack outside.

'Ware it's fangs, it has a nasty bite!

Now, if I understand conflicts correctly, each side needs to secretly choose three combat actions, which can be the same. How will we do that here without the GM reading our thoughts? I guess we could PM each other, does this system allow a group PM?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#76 Post by jhrrsn »

The GM selects first, so we just need some way for him to log his choices before we start discussing ours. It's not a given that we'll have a conflict now, it just seemed like the likeliest outcome!

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#77 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Upon seeing the many legged monster, Berry slowly and carefully removes his backpack, setting it on the ground and drawing out a torch and lighting it iirc lighting a torch under non adverse conditions isn't a test.

He also draps his cloak over his back pack.
o...k... guys...if we are going to do this,
Let's be smart about it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Marullus »

...why is Berry lighting a torch?

Our first decision is about conflict type and goal. Is this:
Drive Off, Capture, or Kill? I assume we don't want to Flee, Convince, Trick, or Riddle. It should be too big to capture (Ludanto needs to tell us it's Order of Might). We only risk death if we are also trying to Kill; if we are driving off, we risk only injury and making the situation horribly worse.
Thag and Aiofe have beliefs about this - do they want to kill it?

This is also an occasion where "everyone helps" is bad. We get a larger pool for everyone participating but everyone in the fight must act before anyone can repeat. Do we have the heavy fighters (Thag, Aiofe, Beren) Wade in and get more actions, or do Berry and Rabon also want in?

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#79 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry lit a torch because in his mind light dissuades spiders and other creepy crawled away, so if he gets split off he can scare it away. It's not tactically wise but Berry isn't the most experienced adventurer to walk into a dungeon.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#80 Post by jhrrsn »

I think Aoife would be in favour of killing it, given her goal and the fact that at least now we have this thing in sight (rather than ambushing us later on). Having said that I feel like I could probably claim my goal with a Drive Off conflict as well. I'm happy to go in with the burliest of us!

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”