Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

#421 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I am so happy we have come to this arrangement without bloodshed. Berry smiles, relieved.

I was so worried that we might have to harm this noble beast.
Mr. Allric you really showed him what for
Berry is even more enamoured with the old mage, and scribbles a note or two down to help his own oral abilities.

Sorry I've been sporadic, just got back from a vacation and was more distracted than I thought I'd be. Great job getting the wolf to submit btw, I really hope it doesn't bite us in the future.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#422 Post by jhrrsn »

The 'man-pups' it refers to are probably the halfling we saw in the tower, and it's friends., Aoife posits.
Anyhow, this place seems drier than a Larghom bitter. I suggest we get these mushrooms and get out of here before we find yet more things that try to kill us. Hopefully our next venture will prove more fruitful...
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#423 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon shakes his head at Aoife's statement. Let's not give up so easy. he turns back to the wolf.No shiny metal? Okay. But what about carvings or other pretty-looking things? A place of worship where valuable old stuff might be? he does what he can to convey his meaning to the wolf.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#424 Post by Marullus »

"What is the 'night place'? Where is it? How did your pack member die there?" Allric asks the wolf as they continue conversation.
jhrrsn wrote:The 'man-pups' it refers to are probably the halfling we saw in the tower, and it's friends., Aoife posits.
"I would suggest that, while a halfling might look like a child, in my experience they do not smell like one," drolls Allric. "Berry,
what are your thoughts on this concern for missing children? Can you think of a further query?"

This thing can't be this ignorant and unhelpful. :) I really want to keep asking until we get something useful to drive our next steps.
"Lair here. Stairs here." he growls with annoyance.
This is intended to mean that this room is it's lair and the stairs down lead to Kobolds?

From the outside, this place looked to have a second floor? Nothing about the upstairs?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#425 Post by Ludanto »

"Near-place. Inside. Night come fast. Yelping. Death. Something there. When night leave, wolf gone," Greygrim says, gesturing with his nose toward the south.

Greygrim doesn't seem to understand "place of worship", or value beyond food.

Indeed, this room is its lair, and the kobolds come from down these stairs.

From inside, you can see that there is no second story. The ceilings are all high and arching into the darkness, like a cathedral.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#426 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:OOC

Code: Select all

Doors          Open door
▢▢▢▢▢▢▢■▢■▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▶▢▢▢▢▢
▢      ✗ You                ✪ Statue
▢     ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢■▢▢▢▢▢▢▢
▢     ▢                Door
▢     ▢
▢     ▢                   COURTYARD
▶     
▶    
▢     ▢▢
▢     ▢
Pulling forward the map. :)

Okay, we know the left door at the top opens to the drsk-room and the space to the left (where the word Door is and where the bend in the building is) has the open ceiling and the wolf's den. Does it round the corner?

We have the stairs down here at the building juncture. We have no second floor.

We have the door to the unknown room, to the right of this door.

Around the corner and in the south wing, we spied double doors and we know there were double doors to the court yard by the stables.

What corresponds with "near-place"?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#427 Post by Ludanto »

Map: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ppuRwUP1r4olju4i2

The nearest room is the double-doors to the south, and seems to be what Greygrim was indicating.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#428 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

The map helps immensely.

Since we've already lost Fresh, are we going to camp to recover some other Conditions, or should we do a couple more things before camping?
Could the second wolf have been lost to the same, or another, spider? Or is there something More Evil here? I don't think we saw any wolf bones in the spider's lair.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#429 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: "Berry, what are your thoughts on this concern for missing children? Can you think of a further query?"]
I was waiting for Berry to respond to that and ensuring everyone was done with questioning the wolf IC. I agree, the map is huge.
We just triggered the Grind, so I think we do 1-3 more things before we camp. I thought we check the room next door, then Camp.
We then decide if we go to the double-doors on this floor first, or down to the Kobolds.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon grows ever angrier at the useless wolf. He throws a rock against a far wall in irritation. Alright then. You don't give a hoot for anything other than food. Whatever. Your wolf-friends better just leave us the hell alone when we leave here. Got it? Allric is the Alpha now You make sure they know that.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#431 Post by Ludanto »

Greygrim sneers at Rabon, but gets up and noses open the door to the room and steps outside. There's some growling and barking and some whining noises from the animals, but then they stop, and the wolves don't rush in to attack you.

What now?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#432 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Disappointed that his fortunes rely on his foraging skills, Rabon suggests Berry or Thag harvest the mushrooms. We might-could dry them when we camp. What do you think, Allric? deferring to the mage for insight about the proper technique of transporting the fungi.

In case of a test, i thought someone with survivalist might be best suited to harvest the shrooms. Maybe the wolf knows where more of the mushrooms are...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#433 Post by Marullus »

Allric is focused sifting further through the items in the desk, hoping to learn more of the dwarves and their secrets. He waves offhandedly to Rabon's question and offers a small sack to them from his pouch if they need it. "Yes, let's collect those mushrooms... I'd like to take a closer look when we have a moment to rest. Then I think we check that next door, the other room on this side, before we venture further."

He pauses, looking to the wolf. "We have driven off the spider. Should it return, we shall see to its head as a reward for your loyalty. The dark place you fear there to the south also intrigues me. Have you anything further to tell us?"

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#434 Post by Ludanto »

The large wolf, having stepped outside to calm the smaller wolves, has not returned.

What now?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#435 Post by Ludanto »

Also, Allaric tests Scout vs. Ob 3 to search the desk

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#436 Post by Marullus »

Scout?? :? Okay, I can't pass that. I'll only accept Wise help.

With the threat of the wolf now departed, Allric examines the desk for the third time, having already checked the drawers for traps and found only the nib of a writing pen. He blinks a few times as the papers swim before him, but the aetherial vision of a wizard impacts him more severely than others; reading has never been easy. The writing on the pages does not stabilize. He calls others over, asking Thag if he suspects any traps, Aiofe if she can discern anything about dwarven history from the paperwork, and asking Rabon to assist with identifying anything of value among the mess in the drawers.

[BTW - Was the nib of a writing pen meant to be a useful object?]

Will B6 +3D help from wises only /2 = 4.5 = 5D -1 Wizard Sight = 4D
Scout [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 3
1 Success against Ob 3. (Earned a check.)

Also, can we assume the mushrooms were collected without a check? You didn't mention them.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#437 Post by Ludanto »

Allric digs through the scraps of paper, dried out inks and broken quills, but finds nothing useful. However, in the back of one drawer he finds a rag used for cleaning pen nibs that seems to be caught on something. He tugs and pulls with all of his might, until it finally comes out with a crunching sound, sending the old magician toppling onto his backside.

Bruised, aching and exhausted, he climbs to his feet to find that the drawer contained a hidden compartment at the back. Inside is a hand-axe, a leather-bound book with a small clasp, and an embroidered leather pouch.

To be clear, Allric is Exhausted.

But at least he earned a Check!

Also, nobody actually said they were collecting the mushrooms. Still, no test. They're right there.

The pen nib looks like rusted junk. If it turns out that you need it, at least you'll know where to find it.

What now?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#438 Post by Ludanto »

Also, if I'm not mistaken, everyone should be Hungry & Thirsty after the bit where Allric was yelling at the wolf. Has everyone addressed that? Eaten? Drunk?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#439 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:Also, nobody actually said they were collecting the mushrooms. Still, no test. They're right there.
We're (I'm) afraid to do so. We stated our intent and are looking for the test so the person who knows how to pick them can be the one who goes. Otherwise, we have a situation like just happened - Allric ends up trapped in a Scout test he can't pass when he could have identified before beginning that he had no idea how to look at a desk and asked someone with the right skill to approach the problem instead.

Allric's sheet is already updated. Hungry/Thirsty and Exhausted, no Fresh.

We're waiting until we camp so that Rabon can do a cooking test to feed the group (1 ration) instead of everyone eating (6 rations).

Is the pen nib miscellaneous or does it take up a full pack slot? I'm not in favor of leaving things. Is there a "detect magic" option? (Should be part of my Wizard's Sight trait by the description... otherwise I honestly don't know.)

We're at the end of the Session, right? How are we handling that?

Turn 6 (Turn 9 overall, 0 turns until session end, 3 turns until Grind)

Allric looks quite put-out by his fall, rubbing his hip and grousing as he regains his footing. He asks Aiofe to inspect the hand-axe and Rabon the pouch as he picks up and looks at the clasped book himself.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#440 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I have survivalist so I can harvest the 'shrooms. Can we use the leather pouch Allric just found as a supply item, or just as a normal pouch to carry them? My idea would be to harvest them by slicing them off close the the ground with my sword, then using my Weaver skill inherit supplies to thread them onto a thread.

Are you alright, Allric? Let me help you up.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”