Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

#401 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

There have been rumors that some children have gone missing from these areas. Perhaps yon beast might know something. Wolves have a large territory, perhaps they have seen something, or responsible for it.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#402 Post by jhrrsn »

We're going to fight a huge f*****g wolf because someone might have heard something about missing folk? This thing is hardly unreasonable, we are in its territory.

I mean, if it's us or him, you know I'll fight. But otherwise let's just get it out of here long enough to grab the mushrooms and be gone,
Aoife whispers.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#403 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, really doesn't sound like we have much energy for fighting the werewolf... Galen really isn't being convinced it is evil, or at least of the nature that needs immediate confrontation. His goal of mapping the place might be attainable through bargaining with the werewolf (he does have Haggling...).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

An irritated Rabon nudges the strider in the ribs, whispering, Hey. Don't go offending him, 'kay? You've been careless once, already.

It seems like folks are leaning towards not fighting this thing. If thag is going to attack, have him do it;Rabon will join the fray if so. If not, let Galen haggle for a better deal. If we haggle/persuade, I agree that free unmolested run of the place should be our stakes. Maybe, if we are going to kill the spider, we try for a wolf to sniff it out for us?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#405 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

It looks like the majority is leaning towards negotiating.

But if we search this place and we find human bones I reserve the right to say "I told you so." lol

If ye can reason with it, then do it. If it wants us to defeat the spider we can, we chased it off before.It was injured, so probably leaving a trail of ichor we can follow.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by Marullus »

I agree with Rusty, above.

If Berry wants to save it's life, will he try to persuade it to go? Or will Rabon try to bluff and trick it? I hope all the Hagglers can provide Help.

"The idea of destroying you bores me, wolf," boasts Allric loudly in a disinterested tone, "and that meager spider you fear has already fled before me and my companions." The old wizard contemplates his knobby wizarding staff, moving the glowing motes casually around the chamber as a display of his eldritch powers, keeping the one directly above the beast to dispel all shadows it was hiding in to make it uncomfortable. "What is your territory, that you expect us to respect it? What are your deeds that you believe should make us consider you worthy of a bargain? You hide in a ruin, Lord over mushrooms, eater of rats? You are welcome to eat that scrawny thing, by the way," he motions to the Kobold distainfully.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#407 Post by Ludanto »

Greygrim seems annoyed by your dithering.

"Eight-legger. Kill. Bring bring head. NOW. Then talk mushroom" he snarls curtly.

He takes a menacing step forward and the scaly critter, now free, scrambles to its clawed feet and dashes down the stairs, hissing imprecations in its wake.

Greygrim doesn't seem to notice or care as he stares you down.

What now?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#408 Post by jhrrsn »

Aye, Greygrim, you're a pretty great hunter, right? Do you reckon your nose is good enough to sniff out where that creepy 'eight-legger' is hiding, maybe point us in the right direction? We don't want to dally in your territory for any longer than we need to... Aoife asks.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by Marullus »

Allric projects his voice over the end of Aiofe's subservient statement, a commanding tone, "Insolent cur! Whelped pup! I will destroy you or the spider when it interests me!" He slams the butt of his wizarding staff on the hard stone. The motes of showlight move discreetly, two casting uplighting on the wizard to project his shadows upward on the walls, increasing his aspect, while the third remains to diminish and dazzle the wolf. "You WILL answer me with details of your supposed domain," he demands, "You WILL remain out of our way while we pass freely in this place. If you do and it pleases me, I may reward you with that insect's head should it dare to reappear before I take the mushrooms I wish." He stands imperiously, arching his bushy eyebrows and staring down the wolf as he let's his demands hang on the air.

OOC:
Demanding is my nature... Figuring it is a versus test and if it fails we will have to go into a Drive Off conflict. My stakes are: the wolf is cowed and doesn't interfere, it tells us what we want to know about this place (a secure place to camp, things of interest, perceived threats), the extent of it's domain (and if it includes where the children disappeared), and let's us take the mushrooms. If it goes into a Drive Off, then I change "it is cowed" to "it leaves into the woods."

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#410 Post by Ludanto »

Awesome RP!

I agonized over this a bit because I wanted to simplify, but I can't see any other way. This is now a Convince conflict.

If Allric is Captain, take +1D to Disposition.

Greygrim wants you to leave until you come back with the spider's head.

Your stake is one thing. Choose wisely.

Then choose a Conflict Captain and roll Disposition. (Persuader D6 + Will)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#411 Post by Marullus »

Okay... Convince conflict it is. Allric will be the Captain and take the +1D.
Since the conflict likely requires compromise, I think insisting on a single statement is far less helpful. Since that's the request, my overall stake for this is, The wolf obeys me as its new Alpha. That covers all I said and aligns with my core intent, which is to cow this thing into subservience to Allric's display of power and authority. He's confronting it in wolf terms, and acknowledging Allric as head of its new pack structure should be a natural act.

Please lock in your moves and roll the wolf's disposition, then I'll do our initial rolls. What is the "Persuader D6" - is that the wolf's dice? Or some direction for me?

Can I get a +1D from the motes, used as above?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#412 Post by Ludanto »

Persuader D6 + Will is what one rolls for Disposition.
You also get +1D for the RP (but that includes the lights).
The wolf will be wielding its Intimidating Growl.

Wolf Dispo: 1, 2, 4, 3, 3 + Nature(5) = 6

Moves locked. Go!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by Marullus »

Disposition:
Allric doesn't have Persuader, but is within his Demanding nature, so can substitute in his B5 Nature instead. He also gets a +1D factor from the GM +1D Fresh and +1D Thoughtful as he boxes this wolf into a mental corner then +5D Help from the posse. That's 13D + 6 Will.

Disposition 1/3: [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 6
Disposition 2/3: [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 3
Disposition 3/3: [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 3
5 successes + 6 Will = 11 Disposition

Moves:
This is a smackdown, per the roleplay, and Allric is going all-in for his Belief. Allric doesn't intend for it to extend to turn 2; there is a risk that the wolf attacks on Turn 1 and it resolves to a compromise as an independent action, and if he scripts a Feint we're stuck. I'd like to support the roleplay, though, and go for a strong attack on turn 1.

If we go to Turn 2, something went wrong. Allric will look to Rabon to Defend (assuming Nature 5 without Persuader if he Boasts or Demands, plus Help), and then to Thag for a final attack hoping to end things before the next set of moves (assuming Nature 3 with Boasts and Demands, as he has the strongest antipathy for the beast from his Mentor's lessons, plus Help).

1: Allric, Attack
2: Rabon, Defend
3: Thag, Attack

Move 1: Allric / Attack
Allric is Demanding and doesn't have Persuader, so uses his 5D Nature. I then am spending my Persona point to double my nature for this test, which is 10D. Add +1 Fresh +1 Thoughtful +1D situational GM and +5D Help is 18D, hoping for 6 successes to deplete his disposition.

Attack 1/4: [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5
Attack 2/4: [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2
Attack 3/4: [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2
Attack 4/4: [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 6

13 Successes against 6 Disposition.
If for some reason that isn't enough, I will reserve the right to spend 1 Fate and re-roll 6s and will re-roll 7 more dice.

...lets hope he didn't script a Feint.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#414 Post by Ludanto »

The GM bonus was only for Disposition, and I feel like you might be spamming "Thoughtful", but even so, my Defend can't touch that.

"But... Greygrim... Territory...", the wolf stammers, before dropping to the ground and reluctantly baring his throat.

Still, his eyes burn with resentment.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#415 Post by Marullus »

Turn 5 (Turn 8 overall, 1 turns until session end, 4 turns until Grind)
Thank GOD that worked! :shock:
That's the fourth turn. We all get Hungry/Thirsty. We all lose Fresh.
Allric also recording Passed check for Nature and 1 spent Persona.

Allric nods solemnly, recognizing the wolf's subservience. "Good. You are wise, Greygrim, and I will respect this. Now, tell me about your territory and this place."
it tells us what we want to know about this place (a secure place to camp, things of interest, perceived threats), the extent of it's domain (and if it includes where the children disappeared),
BTW - how many pack slots will it take to carry the mushrooms?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#416 Post by Ludanto »

The mushrooms are Pack 2 for enough to do anything with, but you can split that up between containers.

Greygrim grumbles something and then says, "Little ones come from stairs. Mostly Greygrim ignore. Taste bad. Eight-legger threat. Is smart. Sneak. Greyg... This-one territory stack-stones and near-woods. Greygrim smell man-pups one time here. Not know where now. Lair safe. Pack sleep in lair."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#417 Post by Marullus »

"How many is your pack? Where is your lair for resting? Tell me more of the man-pups. Who took them?"

He confirms that he means the stairs down here, and not some other stairs.

Others chime in. :)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#418 Post by Ludanto »

Greygrim seems to have trouble with the numbers, but with some creative gesturing on your part, you can confirm four other wolves. It was six wolves, but one was lost to the spider, and another to the "night place".

"Lair here. Stairs here." he growls with annoyance.

"No see man-pups. Smelled once."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#419 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon smiles greedily. Greygrim, we want mushrooms. And we want shiny metal - silver and gold. Where is the shiny metal in this place?
Is it guarded?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#420 Post by Ludanto »

Greygrim shakes his head in confusion. He doesn't know anything about shiny metals.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”