Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 0: Character Creation

#2 Post by Marullus »

Previous Thread Convos HERE: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6775&start=20#p319019

Awesome! I will try to prep a sheet for Allric tonight or tomorrow.

Looking at what we still need otherwise....

- Thag needs a friend. :) Who did he hang with when not being trained by Solomon to face his inevitable dragon?

- That also makes his Circles a 4. (If you want to skip having any friends, then he gets the Loner x1 trait and loses his mom and mentor, too.)

- Thag can't fill his quiver with preserved rations (Edit: Actually, you totally CAN do that. Huh.). You don't have a bow, so don't need a quiver. You are actually better served slinging his rope over his shoulder instead - the rope takes Torso 1 but Pack 2 so it gives you a freed up pack slot. (We need rations as a group, though, so you don't necessarily have to carry any anyway... We should check group provisions later.)

- Bracers are nifty!

- Aoife doesn't have a mentor so he has 2D treasure that takes up a pack slot. Since you can't hang your warhammer on your belt, it is kosher that you can use that belt slot for your pouch of gold coins.

I'll look at more stuff later; out of time. :)
Last edited by Marullus on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by jhrrsn »

I'm always keen to find out I have more cash! Also Aoife is a lady dwarf :)
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Re-revised:
jhrrsn aka "Jack" - Dwarven Adventurerdrafted
Marullus aka "Andrew" - Human Magician drafted
shroomofinsanity - Human Cleric
BillTheGalacticHero aka "Bill" - Human Warrior drafted
Rusty Tincanne aka "Lloyd" - halfling burglar
ffilz aka "Frank" -

Additional classes remaining:
Elf Ranger (main book)
Human Paladin, Human Thief (bonus classes expansion)
The Servitor, Goblin Shaman, The Skinchanger (Denizens of the Dark expansion, skipping weird/undead ones)

@Marullus: I just noticed that you weren't considering the goblin shaman as "weird". :lol:
@ffilz: if you were set on a halfling, I could take something else. An elf, perhaps.
Marullus wrote:Ludanto - you should go into the die roller and make a campaign and then give us the number. That way we can each attach a character to track our rolls.

Creation for Allric:
The most important consideration for the wizard is what kind of magic he studies. Since the results are rolled, let's do that first:
Two spells! [2d6] = 5 [2d6] = 9

His spells are: Wisdom of the Sages, Dance of the Fireflies, and Mystic Porter

So, he's an old man, strong minded but frail (Will 6, Health 2), used to studying and entertaining children. He's from the Ashen Throne (wizard tower) where he grew more thoughtful and studied his alchemy.

Telling tales and entertaining children... His social Grace's and specialty are both Orator, giving him a skill of Orator 3. Alternately, I can go with manipulator as his specialty if nobody wants it, giving him Orator 2 and Manipulator 2.

For the special human skill... I like Criminal. His talents aren't all magical, they just look that way. :) It definitely isn't Survialist. If the group needs, though, he could take Haggler or Pathfinder.

Nature questions:
- He sits and contemplates on dark nights, ruminating with his long clay pipe. Thoughtful x2.
- He doesn't think much of dwarves and elves or recognize many as elder to himself. +1 Nature, -1 Scholar. (He's good at lore and stories but libraries are boring. Pretty much what has stymied him thus far as a wizard.)
- monsters around? He hides inside. (A sage choice indeed!) +1 Nature.

Friend: Gnobbin the Alchemist (+1 Circles)
Parents: Too old for parents. He has his father's signet ring. (+1D treasure)
Mentor: A better wizard of the tower, Balcalath the Teacher (Orator). (+1 Circles)
Enemy: Sure. Probably a humorless dwarf. (+1 Circles)

Will 6, Health 2, Nature 5, Circles 4
Skills: Arcanist 4, Lore Master 3, Alchemist 3, Orator 3, Criminal 2, Cartographer 2, Scholar 1
Wise: Antecedent-Wise
Traits: Wizard's Sight x1, Thoughtful x2
Spells: Wisdom of the Sages, Dance of the Fireflies, and Mystic Porter
So, Allric is a frail old man with a mind like a steel trap, good with lore and tales but with a loathing for libraries. He is a skilled Orator and his magic is more show/laziness than it is potent, making him good with crowds and impressing children. He also has a knack for misdeeds and at some point in his past wronged a particularly humorless dwarf. He otherwise knows folks in every town (good circles) and has particular friendships with an alchemist and a professor back at the Tower of the Ashen Throne.

Hopefully that gives some fodder for others. :) I would like to tweak relationships to mesh with others and will wait to set alignment and beliefs until I see what others do.
BillTheGalacticHero wrote:Thag Simmons MXL, the 17 year old son of Thag (deceased) and Mabel Simmons, a weaveress; simple folk from a village so small it appears on no map. He has a twin brother, Thig, who was away training to be a cleric but has recently returned home to care for their mother. He also has two younger siblings, 10 year old twins, a brother and sister, who are still at home.

For over a thousand generations Thag Simmons II thru Thag Simmons MXXXIX have struggled against the demon that haunts their bloodline. Thag Simmons I was viciously killed by a land dragon while on a hunt, and his son, and all first born sons since that time have struggled, and failed, to defeat the dragon.

Trained by his mentor, the mysterious witch-hunter Solomon Kane (a Strider); Thag MXL is on his final exam - spend a year solo quest in the wilds driving back evil from the lands of men. But inside, the demon that haunts his bloodline is beginning to stir.

Dressed is simple outdoors garb of dull greens and browns with old worn boots. The only distinctive item he wears is a broad-brimmed, battered straw hat adorned with three old feathers: an eagle's, an owl's, and a pigeon's. Scabbarded to his belt is an ancient, but well-crafted, sword. He usually carries an old 6' walking staff, or a straight sapling cut to length.

He has the Grim-Visaged and Early Riser traits. He knows the most dangerous time of the night is the hours just before dawn. He instinctively searches for potable water any chance he can.

As a Strider from the Wanderers, Outcasts, and Exiles expansion, he has these skills: Fighter 3, Haggler 2, Hunter 2, Pathfinder 3, Rider 2, Scout 3, Survivalist 3, and Weaver 2. I picked Scout as his specialty skill, but if anyone else wants it I can change it.

Will 4
Health 4
Nature 3 Boasting, Demanding, Running
Resources 0
Circles 3
jhrrsn wrote:Aoife Kearney is a young dwarf, born in the cloisters of Hollifort. She lived there with her parents and three older brothers, and together they ran the armoury at the bastion. Most folk respected the dwarves for their skill, even if they found their traditions to be strange and unfamiliar. Malvacar the Cleric, though, could not stand their ‘deviant, pagan rites’, and took umbrage with the outsiders.

As a high-ranking member of the clergy it was easy for him to spread rumours of their ‘blasphemous scheming’, and within a month the Kearney family were burning at the stake. However, the guards refused to set young Aoife’s pyre ablaze, and she was instead branded and cast out of Hollifort.

On that day, Aoife swore that she would avenge her family. However, she knew that she would need to be a lot stronger if she was going to succeed, so she tempered her raw anger into a smouldering rage. That was six years ago. Today, she is a competent adventurer who strides fearlessly into the wilds to build her strength and assets.

She still remembers her vow, though. She will never forget.

Game Stuff
Aoife is a skilled fighter (4) and dungeoneer (4) . She’s proud of her heritage, and has good knowledge of dwarven history. She’s also wise to treacherous bastards, as one might imagine. Her belief is that ‘everything she does must bring her closer to avenging her family’ - she is driven to become stronger and obtain artefacts of power, not help some hapless farmer rescue his sheep or whatever. She understands the value of well-equipped companions, though, so whenever she has a moment to camp she always makes sure to ‘fix up any broken gear’.
ffilz wrote:Working on my Elf Ranger, so far have:

Skills: Fighter 3, Arcanist 3, Lore Master 3, Scholar 2, Scout 2, Survivalist 2, Healer 2 (home skill), Cartographer 2 (specialty)
Traits: First Born, Calm
Wises: Elven Lore-wise, need to pick one more after seeing a map and some discussion
Nature Elf 5 (listens to ancient songs, confronted evil, yearns to journey west)
Circles 3 Friend is a Mentor, Parents are Healers, Mentor is a Cartographer
Spells: rolled 10 for Word of Binding

I need to name things, select more gear, and a few other bits...
shroomofinsanity wrote:My cleric has defender x2 himself. But I guess I should say a little more than that.

Berenwald "Berry" Auspice was raised in the relgious bastion of Hollifort all his life under the care of his powerful yet strangely distant father, Malvacar Auspice. Now care in this case meant that his needs were met but he never saw his father and was never seen with him at any public function. He was even enrolled into the Church and received his clerical training without the use of his last name.

"He must have a reason," Berry thought all the time, "maybe he wants me to learn and be the best cleric I can be without being in the shadow of his great leadership." Little did he know that it was due to being an illegitimate child of the cleric and was only cared for under threat of exposure.

Berry continued believing his father was some kind of saint, and therefore believed that the dwarves that were persecuted did indeed represent some threat to the standing of the Church. So he continued his training, taking a special interest in Healing and poultice making, wishing to follow his father's storied career as a healer and vanguard of the Lord's laws and fellowship.

That all changed one night, when Berry was spending time with his friend Trevor. See Trevor had it out for our young and naive bastard, and had manipulated him into sneaking Trevor into the inner sanctums of his father's home. Berry thought Trevor wanted to see the priceless heirloom said to channel the pure power of the Lords themselves. However Trevor just wanted to steal the priceless artifact and skip town to parts unknown.

Berry was devastated by the betrayal, so much so he gathered his things and ran into the night, promising to himself that he would track down the relic and be accepted by his father.

Cruel reality set in and once he was out the cloistered existence in Hollifort he got earfuls from all the non-human races about what a bigot and powermad tyrant his father really was. He spends about half his time in any conversation asking about and then defending the man he still sees as a benevolent father.
Game stuff
Berenwald is a human cleric of Hollifort with
Trait:
Defender x2 (he spends most of his time sticking up for a jerk and his town)
Touched by the gods

Will 5
Health 3
Nature 4 (He tries to listen to Dwarves and Elves as they are older and wiser, unless its about Hollifort, he boasts about his father's deeds and does not fear the night and what it holds, as he must plunge through to get back what was stolen)

Circles 4
Father
Friend Cale the Cartographer (a passing mapmaker, Berry has very few friends so anyone he has held any conversation with counts in his eyes)
Enemy Trevor the Thief (Human Thief, not a bad guy really, just doing a job. I leave his motives and path up to our esteemed gm)
Alignment Law
Age 16
Home Hollifort
Raiment: a torn cloth with Malvacar's and his family crest made into a bandana that he tends to wear around his arm to guide his actions.

Skills
Fighter 2
Healer 3
Persuader 2
Ritualist 4
Scholar 2
Survivalist 3
Theologian 4

Wise
Poultice (let me know if that is too broad, im not great at wise crafting)

Belief: The disciples of the Lords can help all people

Instinct: Always help those that suffer.

I think it will be fun when it comes to light at some point down the road that Berry is in fact related to Malvacar, though he never says so up front, at best he calls him a mentor or hero. A young kid who is going to get a whole lot of innocence broken when he realizes more and more that the world is a dark and scary place.

Also obviously his father absolutely thinks he took the relic and ran away, sending thugs after him, Berry has no knowledge of this and thinks his father is waiting for his son to return with the treasure.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

Okay, I've posted Allric. Please feel free to check him over and comment/correct where needed.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I just threw Berry up there, just let me know if I'm missing anything. Also to coordinate any other things we as a party need to adventure.

I do have a little extra space I can squeeze out of my inventory if we are lacking anything.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Ludanto »

Alrighty! Looking good. Once we have the last two characters, we can start.

Also, make sure you have a Goal.

Finding the rustcap mushrooms you've been sent to find is an obvious one.

Maybe figuring out why the Dwarven temple was left to ruin?

Something about killing whatever evils lurk there now?

Some form of intra-party one-upmanship?
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Ok, so all we know is these dwarven ruins might have the reagents we need? Ok so my first goal, as a still slightly fresh faced optimist will be something supporting my teammates.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Ludanto »

I suppose that you also know that there's a standing offer of a bag of silver for whomever can bring the mushrooms back in time.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ludanto wrote:
Something about killing whatever evils lurk there now?
That sounds right up Thag's alley.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:Finding the rustcap mushrooms you've been sent to find is an obvious one.
This was the impetus for making the wizard... I have a version of it already on the sheet.

What does he know about Rustcap Mushrooms and their magical antecedent uses? That might help provide a little more clarity. Anything a given at game-start?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Ludanto »

The mushrooms are regional and uncommon, typically blooming where there is a high iron content in the soil. Based on its description, it might be useful in creating an Invigorating Draught.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

Oh, that's cool. He's DEFINITELY interested in the mushrooms, then; making those elixirs is covered by his instinct - he's always tinkering with them.

I had his goal as "I will acquire the magical antecedents I require from this dwarven ruin." I think that's still applicable? Anyone recommend tweaks?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote:In the meantime, if anyone has an opinion of whether the elf should come from elf town or the religious bastion, feel free to chime in.
TLDR: Mechanically there isn't much difference. Between those two choices, I think Hollifort is better for the story, though.

Skills:
* Elfland gets you the Healer skill at 2; our Cleric already claimed the Healer specialty and got to 3. Your helping die would make tests at 4, which is good.
* Religious Bastion gets Cartographer 2, which you can take as your specialty for 3, if you like. The Wizard Allric also has Cartographer 2 to help you.
* Religious Bastion could also get Theologian 2, which may seem an odd choice as a non-cleric. However, Theologian is the skill used for monster hunters to stake sleeping vampires and slay them. It also provides knowledge of other planes (from fairies to angels to demons). This could be an interesting story quirk if your elf is an immortal hunter of immortal undead foes.

Traits:
* Elfland gets you Calm or Quiet
* Religious Bastion gets you Defender or Scarred [Berry is Defender x2 and Aiofe is Scarred x1... given the demihuman persecution, either is a good story for the Elf.]
* Based on Elf Nature questions, you can get Bitter, Jaded, Fiery, Curious, or Restless.

Story:
Elfland makes you a one-off in the group, like Thag and Allric. We come from disparate places with less connection to the group, so we really need to bring our own story drivers with us. I set up Allric in the first place to be the driver for the mushroom quest we're on. Thag has his need to prove himself and dragon-slay. I feel like it puts you in a spot to really make the elf have a compelling drive to want to join in with strangers.

Hollifort is already rife with backstory - it is the place where Berry's father persecuted the dwarves. It is where Aiofe's family was burned at the stake as a result. It contains their friends, mentors, and enemies. It is pretty certain that we're going to end up at Hollifort at some point in the story, where I feel we're less likely to end up in "the elf lands." This is full of natural tie-ins. Did your elf hang with Berry and the clergy? Or did he hang with Aiofe and the persecuted heathen dwarves? What side did he take in the fervor that led to Aiofe's family's death?

Personal opine: I think Calm and Quiet traits make for really boring RP; especially in a game named "Scoundrels" I would want to take a Trait that pushes me into the game's action. Fiery is my favorite. Bitter, Jaded, or Scarred make an interesting elf, too. I think my favorite is a Fiery or Scarred elf from Hollifort who takes Theologian as his town skill and was trained as a vampire hunter and is travelling with Berry after discovering disturbing evidence indicating a Vampire Lord's influence over Hollifort's clerical elite.
Last edited by Marullus on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:The character will be a human thief from a remote village. Equipment will include a 10' pole and backpack. Traits will definitely foolhardy. He probably won't be a cook, after all, but he will have the peasant and dungeons skills.
If I can ask... why are you hard-over to get the Peasant skill? It is pretty esoteric. Were you thinking of laborer?

You could still pick up Cook with your Specialty. (Otherwise, we don't have a cook. :) )

Would you be willing to tie him to the relationships/story of Allric? I like what the Hollifort PCs have going on, and that you bridge to them by having Berry's enemy as your mentor. I'd like to create a natural alliance between Allric and your thief, perhaps, as they ply the roads.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by jhrrsn »

Regarding goals, Aoife is motivated by getting stronger and more powerful, so I'd either go with something like:

"I will test my mettle against a worthy adversary".

or

"I will claim an artefact of power for myself".

Thoughts?
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Ludanto »

Nothing wrong with either of those, though you're probably more likely to find a worthy adversary than an artifact of power in any given mission.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

jhrrsn wrote:Regarding goals, Aoife is motivated by getting stronger and more powerful, so I'd either go with something like:

"I will test my mettle against a worthy adversary".

or

"I will claim an artefact of power for myself".

Thoughts?
With your belief being "BELIEF: Everything I do must bring me closer to avenging my family." I personally think the latter goal is better. An artifact of power helps in avenging your family directly, where proving yourself against unrelated opponents is indirect. It is also cool in that it prompts the GM to integrate "artefacts of power" into the adventure. :)

Group Equipment:
Looking over group equipment so far:
THAG
HANDS (carry): - Walking-staff
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Rope
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - (Rope)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Lantern
BACKPACK: - 2 x Oil
BACKPACK: - Grappling Hook
BACKPACK: - (Grappling Hook)
QUIVER: - Preserved rations (x3)
QUIVER: - Preserved rations (x3)
BELT (pouch): - Tinderbox

AIOFE:
TORSO: Rope
SATCHEL: Rations, preserved (3)
SATCHEL: Torches (4)
SATCHEL: Iron Spikes (6)
BELT (pouch): Sack, large

ALLRIC:
HANDS (carry): - Knobby Wizard's Staff
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Candles (4)
BACKPACK: - Mirror
BACKPACK: - Holy Water Flask (2)
BACKPACK: -Sack, Small (2)
BELT (pouch): - Rations, Preserved (3)

BERRY
HANDS (carry): - cloak
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - preserved rations x3
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: -Torches x4
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - spikes x6
BACKPACK: - Tinderbox
BACKPACK: - Hammer
BACKPACK: - Small sack x2

Tallies...

Light:
(Magical light spell when we choose to use it and the casting is successful)
Candles (x4) (Full light x1/Dim Light x1, 4 turns)
Torches (x8) (Full light x2/Dim Light x2, 2 turns)
One Lantern
Oil (x2) (Full Light x3, Dim Light x3, 3 turns)

The most efficient choice for a party of 6 is the lantern, which can provide full/dim for 6 people. We only need these as a back-up for when we don't want to use the spell, though, or when Allric is needed to read languages or carry loot (with his floating disc). We also need to decide if we're planning to keep everyone in full light or if we can allow some to be in dim light (it is a factor [i.e. +1 Ob]) if that character is primary on a test in that scene). I think we'll likely have leaders and followers for any given action, so it seems an acceptable risk to me. Darkness, however, is a bit more limiting: "You may only flee, riddle or argue if engaged in a conflict. And darkness is a factor in all tests except riddling." Do we want to consider swapping some torches for more oil?

Food...
6 water/wine in skins
5 slots Preserved food, 15x uses.

We need food or drink to alleviate the Hungry/Thirsty condition. We collectively can alleviate this three times right now, with 6 PCs. If someone is a Cook, we can stretch that out more than enough - if we're actually trying to carry enough food then this might be an issue.

Carrying stuff:
(SPELL: Can carry eight slots of stuff with no hands, but need to camp to more often to rememorize it.)
BACKPACK: - Small sack x2
BACKPACK: -Sack, Small (2)
BELT (pouch): Sack, large

We have to consider "full hands" - if we're not using a light spell, we need people to hold torches/lantern. Aiofe can never help carry things (has Warhammer). Thag and Allric can carry a small sack, torch, or lantern, but must ditch their walking sticks to carry more (not bad). Berry is the same but would be tossing away his cloak (harder to replace).

Misc Stuff:
BACKPACK: - Mirror
BACKPACK: - Holy Water Flask (2)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Rope
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - (Rope)
BACKPACK: - Grappling Hook
BACKPACK: - (Grappling Hook)
BELT (pouch): - Tinderbox

Two poles/walking sticks for poking things.
Two cloaks amongst the group for recovery tests.
Two slots of spikes, one hammer (two hammers if counting the Warhammer).
Two Tinderboxes.
Two ropes, one grappling hook.
One mirror, one slot (x2) of holy water for special enemies.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:Nothing wrong with either of those, though you're probably more likely to find a worthy adversary than an artifact of power in any given mission.
Marullus wrote:With your belief being "BELIEF: Everything I do must bring me closer to avenging my family." I personally think the latter goal is better. An artifact of power helps in avenging your family directly, where proving yourself against unrelated opponents is indirect. It is also cool in that it prompts the GM to integrate "artefacts of power" into the adventure. :)
This cross-posted.

The book text on goals is...
"They are immediate, something you could feasibly accomplish this session."
"Don’t write your goal yet, wait until the GM sets up your adventure."

The way my groups interpreted that is: When a player proposes a goal, the GM takes one of two options: Decides if he's willing to make it part of the session, and thus possible to achieve, OR if he isn't and tells the player to pick another Goal.

It makes me a little uncomfortable to have goals that are "in any given mission" - that's potentially unachievable in this mission and directly hinders the character's growth and potential.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Ludanto »

Goals are indeed short term, and should be based on what your character knows of the adventure to come. Otherwise, it'd be a long term goal. That's why you wait until the last minute to choose it.

While there might be artifacts of power (whatever that means exactly) there's been nothing revealed yet to suggest it.

Later, it might be worthwhile to dig for leads, looking for hints of artifacts.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”